Thread: Error Playing A Recording

Error Playing A Recording

I have searched on this and all responses are directed at people who have upgraded over existing recordings

I started with fresh drives and no recordings when I upgraded my 2nd drive. I use 2.52 The first thing I did was activate Noscramble
    I think it was #43,1. Reciting the number from memory.

I had several recordings in the Now Playing list which I watched without incident.

Now the problem. Sometime after the unit was put into standby for the night with some scheduled recordings for that night. I adjusted a fan in my entertainment center that I use for additional cooling. I believe I bumped the access card while doing this because when I turned it on the next day it asked to insert my card. I rebooted and pushed the card in tight and everything came up normal. I went to view some previous recordings that I had watched before and I receive a message of an error while recording. No video signal on channel being recorded. I guess I expected this error on the programs that were recorded with the card slipped out, but I am getting this error on programs that were previously known working programs.

I checked if maybe the no scramble had went back to deactivated state on reboot, but when I ran it again it said that it was already activated. I tried to play another previously recorded program and received the same error.

Any suggestions on how to save my previous recordings?
    Thanks

I believe the xPlusz command you entered must have been #47,1. This activates noscramble at bootup (#43,1 activates telnet). You either need to reboot your DTivo to activate noscramble or enter #54,1 to activate the current noscramble module immediately. If your videos still don't play then try turning noscramble off to see if they'll play (#54,0). If they play with noscramble off then they were recorded in scrambled mode and must be viewed with noscramble off.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

It was #47,1...Sorry for the wrong number.
    Do you need to reboot to get no scramble to work?
    I activated it originally before I had any programs recorded so that they all would be available to be taken off the Tivo to my computer.

When I activate #47,1 again just to see if it took, it said that noscramble was already running. So after seeing that I did not reboot.

I did reboot though this morning to re-seat the card. This is when I found the shows not to play (error) I tried to turn no scramble off with the #47,0 command and then checked the shows and they still would not play (same error)

So I believe my shows were definately recorded with noscramble #47,1 activated.

I am not sure what the #54,1 or ,0 do exactly.
    I have not used them before

Captain,

You were right in your assumption that the earlier recordings were scrambled.

This is what I think happened and where I am at.

I started with fresh drives and zero recordings. I ran xplusz #47,1 for noscramble. It said it succeeded. Aparantely, it need to reboot also as the recordings that I made were scrambled. I found this out when I rebooted to reseat the card. If I use #54,0 in xplusz (without rebooting I can view recordings from before the reboot. The recordings since the reboot I would have to use #54,1. Then the new ones are available and the old ones are not.

I also went back and checked #47,1 command. It was unaffected. when I ran it again it said noscramble was already activated.

Now my question. I am assuming that since #47 is still on (1) then all future recordings will be unscrambled. (Since it was rebooted also) Can you tell me if #54, turning off or on to watch the two types of recordings I have in the now playing list will affect any recordings going on while I am watching something on the now playing list?

In other words, Say something is recording with the #47,1. I want to watch something on the now playing list that was scrambled. So I enter # 54,0. Will that affect the recording that is being done at that time?

Also, have you come across a list of xplusz commands that require a reboot?

thanks again for all your help

If you entered #47,1 and rebooted anytime thereafter, all recordings from that point on will be unscrambled. If you enter #54,0 at any time, you will instantly turn off noscramble and you WILL record programs in scrambled mode. However, when you reboot, noscramble will be activated once again since you have set it up to run at bootup with the #47,1 command. The #47 command tells the Tivo to turn noscramble on or off at bootup, depending on the option you entered. #54 allows you to turn noscramble on or off any time you choose after you've booted up. Check the readme file that's in Superzap's upgrade thread for an explanation of all of the xPlusz commands.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

Thanks for your help Captain.
    I have it mostly figured out now.
    i have read the readme file for xplusz several times. What I don't seem to get from it is when a reboot is required and when it is not. I saw a 999 code for requireing a reboot. When and where will this show up at. I have not seen it.
    Also, if I turn off noscramble boot (#47,0) will that require a reboot to take affect?
    I am not quite sure why the similar commands of #54 and #47.
    I know one is instant and the other is after a reboot. But why would you need the reboot one. Would #54,1 disable on a reboot so if you wanted noscramble to stay on you would select #54,1 and #47,1 to protect you if the system rebooted?
    Sorry if the questions seem confusing. I am just trying to thoroughly understand
    Thanks