Thread: SA 4.0 & Telnet w/hacked PROM. Anyone managed it?

Question SA 4.0 & Telnet w/hacked PROM. Anyone managed it?

OK, I have my newly Kraven-prom-hacked SA S2 80GB machine. I have successfully killed initrd and am able to modify my rc.sysinit without having it wiped out upon reboot.

Still, I cannot get tnlited (telnet) to load.

I have tried all of the below in the last line of my rc.sysinit ( I only have 1 - on partition 4)

/sbin/tnlited 23 /bin/bash -login &
    /sbin/tnlited 23 /bin/bash
    tnlited 23 /bin/bash -login &
    tnlited 23 /bin/bash

Still no joy. Has anyone gotten this to work on 4.0?

Talking Figured it out!

Following MrBlack's hint in another thread, I looked around and found the iptables command in /etc/rc.d/netfilters-enable.

I put # signs in front of every iptables command in that file, rebooted, and now I have telnet.

I realize this has probably reduced my network security drastically, so my next step might be to research the iptables comand and open only the ports I want.

Hope this is useful to someone.
    Last edited by TiVOBell; 06-17-2003 at 10:04 AM.

I am about ready to send mine out for the solder job.

So from what I understand, I can let it upgrade to whatever version Tivo wants it to be at and still get telnet access?
    Webmaster @
    Shr00mServer's i730 Resources.
    http://nextel.shroomserver.org/

I will leave it to one of our senior members to answer authoritiatively, but from what I have read so far, it seems Tivo could theoretically send out a version that checks for a hacked prom and flags your account, or install a version that will not run with a hacked kernel.

There are fixes described in this forum to avoid upgrades, though most threads are dedicated to the HDVR and not SA units.

(I would love to have someone state publicly that they have performed Ingineers' hackinit procedure on a SA unit. I have done all of the steps up to but not including the bootpage step. I am just afraid that is only for the HDVR)

I am comfortable that the hacker community could come up with a patch for any destructive new version - though I would be without my TiVo for a while while they work it out.

As for deactivating my account because I hacked my machine, I hope TiVo is smart enough not to really piss off a *paying* customer that way!
    Last edited by TiVOBell; 06-17-2003 at 03:32 PM.

Originally posted by TiVOBell
    I will leave it to one of our senior members to answer authoritiatively, but from what I have read so far, it seems Tivo could theoretically send out a version that checks for a hacked prom and flags your account, or install a version that will not run with a hacked kernel.
    yeah, thats always a possibility. course, the likelyhood is extremely small for the s2 units, since its such a pain for the average user to flash the prom.

(I would love to have someone state publicly that they have performed Ingineers' hackinit procedure on a SA unit. I have done all of the steps up to but not including the bootpage step. I am just afraid that is only for the HDVR)
    the first s2 which had bash_env applied to it was an SA. you need a pre 3.2.0 image to do it, but yes, it can be done.
    Step one: search button!
    Silly Wabbit, guides are for kids

Well I am glad I asked then, 'cause I have 4.0!

Originally posted by TiVOBell
    Well I am glad I asked then, 'cause I have 4.0!
    Me too, Maybe I will just wait a few more months until some more progress is made.

I hate to ruin my Tivo just for something little extra things...I don't think I could live without it if i mess it up
    Webmaster @
    Shr00mServer's i730 Resources.
    http://nextel.shroomserver.org/

For the record, I got it working using the s2 Killinitrd from:

http://tivoutils.sourceforge.net

I didn't use the Ingineer instrucitons.

Question TiVo Web ??

Hi,

now that you have a Series 2 (4.0 ++) have you managed to get TiVO Web running ? I have a hacked Series 2 for about one month now, but TiVo Web does not run. You can install it and it shows all the HTML pages, but obviously the 'sendkey' command no longer works, so every command you want to send to the TiVo does not work Only browsing the Database and working on the Database works.

Hope - now that the Series 2 can be flashed by Software more Users will deal with this problem

KaneTheGerman

Re: TiVo Web ??

Originally posted by KaneTheGerman
    Hi,

now that you have a Series 2 (4.0 ++) have you managed to get TiVO Web running ? I have a hacked Series 2 for about one month now, but TiVo Web does not run. You can install it and it shows all the HTML pages, but obviously the 'sendkey' command no longer works, so every command you want to send to the TiVo does not work Only browsing the Database and working on the Database works.

Hope - now that the Series 2 can be flashed by Software more Users will deal with this problem

KaneTheGerman
    Yes - I have a similar problem, but have not heard of any solutions yet. ( I have a different nick over there.)

Anyone else got TivoWeb working on a 4.0 SA2?