Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Dtivo and DVDLab

Thumbs up Dtivo to DVD

Now TyTool is at 8r6, DVDlab is 1.3.1 and TyStudio still 0.5.0. Very good tools and very good output if you use them together. Here are some guides that in the next week or so will include some screen captures for easy follow.
    Last edited by bato; 02-03-2004 at 09:37 PM.

How-to: TyStudio and DVDLab

This will change when more tests are done.
    0- Get your files (ty) ready for process
    1- Open TyStudio and select your ty
    2- Cut anything you don't need
    3- Select elemental stream/no transcode for Dtivo or 48000 for SA
    4- Run DVDLab 1.2, import m2v/m2a files and create DVD (flexible muxer)
    5- Check chapters/sync/menu with PowerDVD
    6- Burn

030819 I think the GOP timecode is recreated in latest TyStudio (0.5.0) so you don't need to GOP fix with mpeg2vcr to create good chapters with DVDlab.
    Last edited by bato; 08-19-2003 at 01:35 PM.

How-to: TyTool7r3 and DVDLab

0- Get your files (ty) ready for process
    1- Open TyTool7r3 and select your ty
    2- Make key file then Edit key file
    3- You can multiplex file or vob-mux file
    4- Run DVDLab 1.2, import your mpg/vob and select demux
    4a- SA users can transcode audio with internal codec, or call BeSweet/Other to trancode your audio to 48khz, AC3, other
    5- Create DVD (flexible muxer) and check chapters/sync/menu with PowerDVD
    6- Burn

030819 If you only cut the start/end (for a movie) you don't have chapter problems with DVDlab, if you also cut commercials, you will get chapter problems, you will need to use mpeg2vcr GOP fix feature to correct errors 1 and 2 only NOT 3 (GOP size) after the scan.
    Last edited by bato; 08-19-2003 at 01:39 PM.

How-to: perfect sync/chapters and DVDLab

You will need DVDLab 1.1 (or later), VOBedit 0.6, TyTool7r3 (or later) and mpeg2vcr 3.14 (06/11), IFOedit if show is bigger than 1GB.

TyTool7r3 and up (shows less than 1gb):
    - make key files, edit key files, vob-mux
    - create IFO files/dirs with all shows you want, you need to create NO chapters, so if your show is less than 99min select chapters every 99min, if your show is more than 99min then you'll have to manualy edit the .bat file to not create chapters
    - you'll get a VIDEO_TS folder with 1 vob (VTS_XX_1.VOB) for each show (and some IFOs and BUPs, but you want the VTS_XX_1.VOBs)

TyTool7r3 and up (shows more than 1gb):
    - make key files, edit key files, vob-mux
    - create IFO files/dirs with all shows you want, you need to create NO chapters, so if your show is less than 99min select chapters every 99min, if your show is more than 99min then you'll have to manualy edit the .bat file to not create chapters
    - you'll get a VIDEO_TS folder with several vobs (VTS_XX_Y.VOB) for each show
    - use IFOEdit to rip each show and select "no split" to get only 1 vob for show bigger than 1gb
    030819 DVDlab has a feature to join VTS_XX_Y.VOBs together but doesn't work with 1.3b1, I'll try this feature and change this section when it's fixed

VOBedit:
    Open your VOB with VOBedit, select the firt video pack that contains the first I frame (should be the second line, the first is a NAV pack), clic right panel then scroll down until you see "GOP bit flags / time stamp" (005e in my test) double clic the 005e line and change the value to 524352, this will make the first GOP time stamp 0:00:00.00. You can open again the VOB to make sure the value is changed. For each VOB.
    030819 If you use DVDlab 1.3b1 or better this step (VOBedit) is only needed if you want your timecode to start at 0:00:00.00, is no longer needed to create good chapters in DVDlab.

mpeg2vcr:
    With mpeg2vcr go to Tool - MPEG GOP fixer, select the VOB, clic Scan, after scan (only seconds) will show Fix (1) GOP time code..., select Fix and exit mpeg2vcr. For each VOB. Do not select fix GOP size errors because it take a long time and add about 10% to the size, and you will need to save the file as mpg.

DVDLab 1.1 or better:
    - Import VOBs, do not demux
    - Select chapters, create menu, select connections, etc.
    - Compile DVD. You can select any multiplexer engine (with DVDLab 1.2 or better) because the source is VOB it won't be demux/remux, only the NAV packs will change.

Check with PowerDVD and Burn.

This is how I work. No GOP time code problems in DVDLab because we fix them with VOBEdit and/or mpeg2vcr. No NAV pack problems in DVDLab because we only have 1 cell in each VOB.
    030819 I just created a DVD with 8 Monk shows in it, play first video, and switched motion menus with DVDlab 1.3b1 and this steps, I tried to make the DVD with mpgs and Fast or Flexible muxer but I had problems, this steps proves once more that you can create a perfect sync DVD with great menus and chapters
    Last edited by bato; 08-19-2003 at 01:49 PM.

How-to: fix no audio VOB in DVDLab

Sometimes DVDLab 1.1 (or later) can't find the audio in the VOB so the IFOs do not have the audio enable so when you play the DVD you will not hear the audio.

You can use later versions of DVDLab (1.3b1 today) and select "force audio for all movies" in the Compile DVD window, post-compile options section.

Remember, this is only when your final VOB has audio (you can play the VOB with PowerDVD) and your DVD do not have audio (because the IFO problem).

Other option in DVDLab is "Tools" "IFO Editor-Audio" where you can change the number of audio streams in your VOBs and change some information in them (like language), so for example you have VOBs with audio in English and Spanish, you set your IFOs to 2 audio streams, and label the audio English for say track 1 and Spanish to track 2. If your player have the option to start the movies in some specific language (say Spanish) then when it finds that your DVD have a Spanish audio stream then it will play that one by default.
    Last edited by bato; 08-19-2003 at 01:31 PM.

How do you precisely edit out commercials with DVD-Lab? I tried it, but it seemed you could only make the chapters one minute or more, and it's not precise enough to edit out the commercials. Am I doing something stupid?
    I collect old pistols, got any?

You don't. DVDLab is not for cutting commercials, you first do your cuts with TyTool or TyStudio (GOP accurate) or mpeg2vcr (frame accurate).

You can select your chapters and then do a smartripper trick also.

OK, that makes sense. I'll have to check out the other methods, I see that mpeg2vcr is $120 for the version that handles MPEG2, a bit too rich for my blood.

That's why I posted a how-to with only TyStudio and DVDLab, other with TyTool7r3 and DVDlab. So only $80 there.

With mpeg2vcr then $200 (80 DVDLab 120 mpeg2vcr), far less than only DVDWorkshop that I guess you will never add second audio or subtitles, but you will with DVDLab (maybe for a little upgrade price).

You can create DVDs for free with only TyTool7r3, right now you will not have a pretty menu, but I guess that will change in the near future.

If you want good menus with a little control over the overall project today, DVDLab is a good product.

I downloaded TyStudio and it's pretty decent, but I did run into a problem. It seemed the last deletion of stuff caused some issue and I got a frame error. I didn't really know how to move the frame and retry. It was very easy to remove the commercials, much easier than WinDVD Creator that I tried before, so I think I'll be attempting to use that one more when I figure out the file termination issue. I'm sure it's just that I don't know how to use the tool...

Tytool 7.3 Mux or Vob Mux

Good stuff Bato, results are excellent so far from Directivo using Tytool and DVD Lab.

What's the difference between just running Mux or Vob/Mux in Tytool?

Both demux fine in DVD Lab and results seem to be similar, but trying to understand, thanks, !

scottf, in one ty I had I lost like 5sec video when I used mpeg2vcr to do a complete GOP fix (yes even GOP size, that I don't do anymore) in the mpg file but worked great with the vob/mux. I think the vob/mux option contain some NAV packs that maybe is better for mpeg2vcr to work on.

Anyway, if you only demux and let DVDLab remux maybe there is no difference at all. That's why in tytool steps I put that you can Mux or VOB/mux, is up to you. Only in the section when you use mpeg2vcr then you need to VOB/mux then create IFO files/dirs so all NAV packs are correct and work with DVDLab.

I really like how TyStudio handles editing, it's pretty convenient to edit out commercials with it. The bad part is after creating my first DVD with three movies, I found out that the sound sync that I've been hearing about is really a problem. I'm currently experimenting with capturing with TyTools into MPG format, and then building the CD with TMPGenc. I don't like the editing tool quite as well, but I suspect the sound will be better.

Fortunately, I'm using DVD+RW disks for these tests.

i am assuming this will only compile with elemental streams as i have tried to use generic mpegs with dvd lab and it refuses to compile anything. all i get is an empty video_ts folder.
    ________
    Roll Blunts
    Last edited by defsrg; 04-29-2011 at 06:06 PM.

DVDlab compile generic mpegs just not Dtivo. For Dtivo you need to import a final VOB from DVDAuthor or demux the mpg first and then in compile window (1.2 and up) select flexible, any source mux engine.

Oscar just released 1.2.1 beta update, and it has some flexible muxer changes.

Note: do not use DVDlab 1.2.1, many bugs, stick with 1.2 for flexible muxer
    Last edited by bato; 07-10-2003 at 02:26 PM.