Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: Dtivo and DVDLab

I typed a long message here and then realized that I had already said something similar, so I will shut up now.
    Last edited by cullen_simpson; 02-14-2005 at 08:28 PM.

DVD-Lab Pro 1.0 Experience, etc.

I've been using DVD-Lab Pro 1.0 for awhile and have had good success making DVDs from .ty streams (using 9r18). The flexible muxer is gone, but 480x480 frame size is now a supported option. Editing and preparing video streams with VideoReDo with a maximum GOP size of 18 seems to have overcome problems others have posted here. The only glitch I've found is that DVD-Lab Pro seems to have trouble demuxing an MPEG if it has an AC3 audio stream. Outputting elementary streams from VideoReDo is a workaround for me. The PRO Version of DVD-Lab offers limited additional functionality over the original version for the casual user. You get multiple VTS support so you can mix AC3 and MPEG audio or standard/widescreen video on the same DVD. Also supports multiple audio streams and subtitles. Anyone else using DVD-Lab Pro with DTivo .ty streams? Anyone had success cleaning up .ty/MPEG streams for DVD-Lab with anything besides VideoReDo?
    Last edited by rbautch; 04-10-2005 at 12:40 AM. Reason: typo

Does the creation of .vob files/ then creating the IFO in tytool and then importing those .vobs into DVDLAB not work for you?

I have not had any problems with that method that I know of.

That method also works fine for me, I just prefer the editing interface of VideoReDo (actually I prefer Sony Vegas, but I get audio sych problems with it), and it also saves the step of making the ifo's in TyTool. Using VideoReDo also cleans up the MPEG, shortens GOP length, and makes it more compliant with the standard. I'm still testing various methods for inputting DTivo streams in DVD-Lab Pro, and I was just curious what other people are finding. For certain DVD's, my goal goal is strict compliance with the DVD standard, but so far my attempts to re-encode at 352x480 or 720x480 result in synch issues.

Quote Originally Posted by rbautch
    That method also works fine for me, I just prefer the editing interface of VideoReDo (actually I prefer Sony Vegas, but I get audio sych problems with it), and it also saves the step of making the ifo's in TyTool. Using VideoReDo also cleans up the MPEG, shortens GOP length, and makes it more compliant with the standard. I'm still testing various methods for inputting DTivo streams in DVD-Lab Pro, and I was just curious what other people are finding. For certain DVD's, my goal goal is strict compliance with the DVD standard, but so far my attempts to re-encode at 352x480 or 720x480 result in synch issues.
    Do you get those sync issues if you process through TyTool first? Might not even need to make any cuts--just process through the VOB selection and import the VOB. I haven't done this, but I know at some point jdiner's muxer writes (or maybe it rewrites) the time codes for proper audio/video alignment.

ew

I didn't make any cuts at all on my test videos, just muxed ty to an MPEG with Tytool, then tried to resize to 352x480 in Vegas and Tmpgenc, both resulting in synch probs. Not sure if it makes a difffence, but I'll try your suggestion of muxing to Vobs instead Mpegs. Thanks.

update: Vobs from Tytool didn't work either. Tmpgenc choked on them and Vegas doesn't import Vobs. The partial file that Tmpgenc produced was still out of synch.
    Last edited by rbautch; 04-13-2005 at 08:57 PM. Reason: update

Success !!!

The following process has been a success for me:

Mux the .ty file from TyTools
    Re-Encode the .mpg file with TMPENC Xpress using the NTSC DVD output setting, you can specify the video bitrate ( anything BELOW 2150mps is NOT recomended ).
    Put it to DVD Lab Pro or DVD Lab and make the DVD.

Just my 2cents.

My process

BTW: thanks for all the great advice in this thread...after much trial and error here is what I got to work:

1. download file with tytool (with audio hole fix checked)
    2. mux file to mpeg-2 in tytool
    3. import into Video-Redo, edit out commercials
    4. Save as muxed mpeg-2 with following change: Max GOP headers: 18
    5. Open in DVD-Lab, create DVD
    6. Convert mp2 stream to PCM
    7. Compile DVD
    8. Burn

Worked for me

Actually, I now have a bit of a problem with my process.
    I've been trying to burn multiple shows on one DVD, and have noticed that this process takes up a lot more space than it probably should. I can only fit 2 1 hour shows on a DVD. I'm guessing that changing the GOP headers and converting to PCM/WAV audio tracks is very inefficient for space. Is there a way around this? I haven't been able to get an mpa track to burn properly in DVD studio.

Thanks

Changing the GOP headers won't make that much of a difference, but PCM (uncompressed) audio will make an absolutely massive difference. That's what is causing it.

Is there any reason why you can't do the entire process in TyTool, using TyTool's editor and TyTool's conversion to say DD 48@384 (mode 7)?

DVD-lab won't compile

For some reason, I cannot get DVD lab to compile my DVDs with MPA audio. It seemed like when I converted the audio files to PCM I was able to get a nice DVD, but unfortunately the size of the file became prohibitive.

Now, when trying to author a DVD with mpa audio, I get a "Serious error" that aborts the process. Here is my process:

1. Frame accurate editing in Video-Redo
    2. Fixed GOP headers to max length 18
    3. Imported muxed file into DVD lab
    4. Demuxed file into elementary streams
    5. Rewrote GOP headers
    6. Compile

I would prefer not to do my FAE in Tytools as I have already invested a significant amount of time doing it in Video-Redo (but I will if I really have to)

Any help would be most appreciated.

As far as the audio I don't think that the conversion to mpa seems to cause the problem. There is a nice app called besweet that can convert almost any kind of sound, you should try it.

The process to make full compilant DVDs has changed, the steps the following:

1) Get the .ty
    3) Make key file of the .ty
    2) Edit the unwanted stuff ( comercials, begining and end of a movie ) with the GOP editor
    3) Mux the .ty file ( with cuts )
    4) Re-Encode the .mpg file to make it DVD compilant with Nero Vision Express with the DVD output setting, 2 pass VBR for the video and Dolby Digital for the audio. If you are using the DD 5.1 you must have at least 2500 kpbs for he video, otherwise using 2300kbps or better results in great quality.
    5) Put it to DVD Lab Pro or DVD Lab and make the DVD.

This way you don't have to encode it two times ( one TyTools, two VideoReDo ), so you don't lose much quality, you end up with a DVD that will play in MOST of the DVD players.

Quote Originally Posted by jcabello
    4) Re-Encode the .mpg file to make it DVD compilant with Nero Vision Express with the DVD output setting, 2 pass VBR for the video and Dolby Digital for the audio. If you are using the DD 5.1 you must have at least 2500 kpbs for he video, otherwise using 2300kbps or better results in great quality.
    5) Put it to DVD Lab Pro or DVD Lab and make the DVD.

This way you don't have to encode it two times ( one TyTools, two VideoReDo ), so you don't lose much quality, you end up with a DVD that will play in MOST of the DVD players.
    TyTool doesn't re-encode anything (other than a tiny amount at cut points).

You can take the mpg (or vob) that TyTool produces and pull it directly into DVD-Lab. Make sure to use the alternate muxing engine (so don't use DVD-Lab Pro). MOST DVD players will play this OK, but some (esp. older ones) will have issues due to the non-std. resolution.

Also, I generally (if I use VideoReDo) do NOT change the GOP lengths, as that means re-encoding (and thus quality loss) -- every GOP change has to be re-encoded.

One of my biggest complaints about DVD-Lab is (A) the error messages aren't very detailed, and (B) the stupid alert boxes auto-close after a few seconds. If there's a way to make it stop doing that, I haven't found it. So to morhpj01 I would say do another compile, and sit in front of the computer and watch it. When it encounters a serious error, does it tell you any more than that?
    --
    Christopher D. Heer
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar Wilde
    Perhaps, after all, America never has been discovered. I myself would say that it had merely been detected.

Quote Originally Posted by cheer
    One of my biggest complaints about DVD-Lab is (A) the error messages aren't very detailed, and (B) the stupid alert boxes auto-close after a few seconds. If there's a way to make it stop doing that, I haven't found it.
    Not exactly a "fix", but you could try hitting the PrntScrn button for a screen capture then check the computer clipboard contents.

Quote Originally Posted by Narf54321
    Not exactly a "fix", but you could try hitting the PrntScrn button for a screen capture then check the computer clipboard contents.
    Which doesn't work at all if I am not in front of the computer when it finishes -- which is the whole point. If it's going to take half an hour to compile, I'm going to go do other things.
    --
    Christopher D. Heer
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar Wilde
    Perhaps, after all, America never has been discovered. I myself would say that it had merely been detected.