Thread: SpruceUp - Shorten files

Talking SpruceUp - Shorten files

Let me pre-face with this that I have searched. And if my answer is a link to another article... that's cool.

Ok... here's the scoop. I am using tytools to extract in split mode. So i have my m2a/m2v streams. Without re-encoding with an out side program can I shorten the files when I import them to spruceup. Basically some of the programs have 5-30 minutes of crap after the actual recording that I don't want. It would greatly increase the amount of recordings I can get on a DVD.

!~!!!@!@!@!@~!~`PLEASE HELP!~!!!@!@!@!@~!~`

Re: SpruceUp - Shorten files

Originally posted by CheeseMan316
    Let me pre-face with this that I have searched. And if my answer is a link to another article... that's cool.

Ok... here's the scoop. I am using tytools to extract in split mode. So i have my m2a/m2v streams. Without re-encoding with an out side program can I shorten the files when I import them to spruceup. Basically some of the programs have 5-30 minutes of crap after the actual recording that I don't want. It would greatly increase the amount of recordings I can get on a DVD.

To the best of my knowledge, SpruceUp does not allow for editing the mpeg, only authoring it.

Re: SpruceUp - Shorten files

Originally posted by CheeseMan316

If you are using tytool, why not extract as a .ty create a .key file edit/trim with GOP editor save cutlist; mux - then de-mux back to elemetry files; quite a few steps, and if you have DVDLab you can let DVDLab do that for you..
    ~Hi8

(4) Hughes SD DVR40
    (1) Hughes HR10-250
    (2) xbmc XBOX X2 & xbit

You may want to consider using something other than TyTool to extract the ty file if you plan on using SpruceUp with edited files. TyTool does something funky to the video header that can cause problems when trying to import into SpruceUp. It will work fine if you remember to keep one very short segment at the beginning of the ty file to keep the header info intact. In other words, if you want to trim the beginning of the ty file then keep about a 1-second segment at the very beginning and start your cuts from that point on. When splitting files I like to use tydemux instead of vsplit since it does a lot of repairing of the ty file due to the unusual non-standard layout of the Tivo mpeg2 files.

I used to be one of the major supporters of SpruceUp in this forum when everyone else was bashing it (jdiner has a distinct dislike for it). However, ever since jdiner came out with his latest version of TyTool7r3 I've gotten away from using SpruceUp entirely for making rudimentary DVDs with basic menus. It's faster and easier to use and also allows for editing of the ty files with no patching of the video headers as with SpruceUp.

If you want fancier menus then you might want to consider using Ulead's DVD Movie Factory or DVD Workshop. They both work great with edited ty files from TyTool but are a little more involved than using SpruceUp.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!