Thread: Do I or Don't I need the -s 127 option ...

Do I or Don't I need the -s 127 option ...

I will be attempting to load the U5 image to my drive later today. Unfortunately I do not have a spare drive, so I will have to load it on top of the factory hard drive. Will I need to use the -s 127 option, or do I need to leave it off. In reading Ingineer's instructions, he stated that if you're using the original drive, to remove the "-s 127" option, but that was assuming that the original drive already had U5 software to begin with right? Since my drive does not have U5, does the same still apply for me?

Thanks
    CFC

Re: Do I or Don't I need the -s 127 option ...

Originally posted by CFC
    I will be attempting to load the U5 image to my drive later today. Unfortunately I do not have a spare drive, so I will have to load it on top of the factory hard drive. Will I need to use the -s 127 option, or do I need to leave it off. In reading Ingineer's instructions, he stated that if you're using the original drive, to remove the "-s 127" option, but that was assuming that the original drive already had U5 software to begin with right? Since my drive does not have U5, does the same still apply for me?

Thanks
    CFC
    The -s option increases your swap space so that the "green screen" code can handle >=140 gigs of space. If you ever expect to add a lot of storage to the unit in the future, it would make your life easier to increase your swap to 128 megs today. If not, it's not necessary.

-Dave

Question swap space needs for 217GB??

If -s 127 is for handling 140GB. Is that mean if I am planning to add an 80GIG drive to my unit current has a 160GB drive in it, I will need to make the swap space more than 127? I read up on some other posts saying if I set the number bigger than 127 will cause the swap space to become uninitialized (no swap space). Any suggestion on what I should set for my case of 137GB + 80GB = 217GB?

I have not looked into this situation but I do recall a discussion or two at tivocommunity that claimed that on the s1 linux 2.1 kernel, you would need to manually break swap space up into 128 meg chunks. I am not sure if this problem was addressed by 2.4.4 so go ahead and do a bit more research and report back to us here.