Thread: making a phillips 14 hour into something wonderfull

making a phillips 14 hour into something wonderfull

guys,

I dont have $250 to pay for a lifetime sub, and you guys are against giving yourself a lifetime sub for good reasons. I'm going to buy a phillips 14 hour tivo from fleabay, and i want to do the following upgrades and modifications:

TiVonet or turbonet

larger hdd

memory upgrade

Should i just pay $10 a month? i want the guide data for my cable and off air channels, as well as directv. This unit will go along side my directivo and be used as my analog capture device.

You guys are against aquiring a lifetime sub by means of altering the contents of a certain partition, because tivo provides a great, cheap service. what servers are the guide data aquired from? they seem to be a well kept secret too.

Your TiVo connects to the TiVo servers to get guide data. You might be able to find a way to trick them into giving you guide data without a valid subscription, but do you really want to deal with the consequences if they find out and get pissed about it?

Considering that their business model essentially revolves around selling the guide data, you might want to think about how much monitoring and logging they do to make sure there isn't a theft problem.

IMHO you should just pay the $13/mo.

(If you do figure out how the guide data flow works, though, feel free to post any details here. We are not against the free dissemination of technical knowledge wrt TiVo software.)

--Dave

I have yet to see a way to share guide data between machines, or otherwise obtain the data for free. I think you'll have to pony up the $10/mo or the $250 for a lifetime subscription if you want guide data.
    I collect old pistols, got any?

Originally posted by johnwill
    I have yet to see a way to share guide data between machines, or otherwise obtain the data for free. I think you'll have to pony up the $10/mo or the $250 for a lifetime subscription if you want guide data.
    Or $13 / $299 as it may be.

Info on making your own slice data to feed into
    your TiVo Series1 is out on the net. Look for the perl scripts
    getpages, parsepages, mkslice. This does not
    steal data from the TiVo service. The details
    of the scheduling are not as nice, but usable.

You'd need to have bash access to the TiVo
    though.

Best, pcompact

I've got a phillips 14 that I bought on fleabay and did the first 2 things to. Third I bought a lifetime subcription, and really want to upgrade the memory since the menus are slow. I'm competent with a soldering iron, but nervous about killing my tivo.

About the subscription -- If Tivo was rolling in cash, or even just breaking even I think we'd see a larger crowd trying to steal service.

However, we are all to aware that if Tivo goes out of business, our Tivo's become a lot less fun. Even if I can manually load my tivo with guide data - I still have to pay for a TV guide or a paper, then there all that searching to see when Seinfelds on. Sigh.

Sure the Tivo theroretically could be hacked to spoof a serial number of another device in good standing, but it'd be counterproductive ... and easy to spot on Tivo's end.

If I worked at Tivo, long ago I would have implemented checks to guard against theft of service. I'd be checking to see if duplicate serial numbers call in more than once daily on a regular basis. I'd check to see if a serial number seems to be calling in from multiple dial-up access numbers (different geographic locations), I'd check to see if a serial number is asking for different channel lineups. All of this would be automatic and the registered owner of an offending serial number would get a call from a lawyer.

i got to pay $300 for lifetime of guide data and or $13 a month and use a credit card... sheesh!

i have a turbonet, do i use the turbonet disc from 9thtee and install the drivers? afterwords i want telnet and ftp, how do i install those?

i used the method on installing telnet and ftp on my SA tivo with 3.0 software but i cant get access with telnet or ftp. are there any other methods you can tell me about? help please

well, i figured how to get telnet and ftp working, but its missing "ls" and a few other commands :P i imagine i could copy em from dylans boot disk?

ok, got that straightned out.... once i subscribe it will turn into something very wonderfull. :P

Originally posted by forecast8
    About the subscription -- If Tivo was rolling in cash, or even just breaking even I think we'd see a larger crowd trying to steal service.
    Actually I attribute it more to the "fanboy effect." For an example, visit the fine site http://www.tivocommunity.com/ . Tivo is more of a religion than a product over there (for no particularly good reason).

Compare TiVo to DIRECTV: both companies lose an assload of money every quarter but folks have no qualms about ripping off America's largest digital direct-to-home satellite provider.

However, we are all to aware that if Tivo goes out of business, our Tivo's become a lot less fun. Even if I can manually load my tivo with guide data - I still have to pay for a TV guide or a paper, then there all that searching to see when Seinfelds on. Sigh.
    The idea would be to get guide data off the net, not to manually enter it every week from TV Guide.

Sure the Tivo theroretically could be hacked to spoof a serial number of another device in good standing, but it'd be counterproductive ... and easy to spot on Tivo's end.
    Read up on the crypto chip. I can't comment on whether or not they currently use it during the daily call, but if each unit has a private key that is stored on a trusted chip, you're going to have to jump through a lot of hoops to make a perfect clone.

--Dave