Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: getting a shock from a series 2...

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    1

    getting a shock from a series 2...

    My series 2 box is giving me a shock! (This is with the case closed). I hooked up a meter and the case is giving about 60V AC between the case and a ground.

    Has anyone else seen this before? I'm guessing it's a bad power supply.

    Does anyone know of a source for s2 power supplies? ...or some tips on fixing this one, please let me know.

    Thanks,
    Bob

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    3,108
    im not an uber EE expert, but i know that the xbox does the same thing if you go from the metal case to ground
    Step one: search button!
    Silly Wabbit, guides are for kids

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Oprah's bellay
    Posts
    43

    Re: getting a shock from a series 2...

    Originally posted by bobh
    My series 2 box is giving me a shock! (This is with the case closed). I hooked up a meter and the case is giving about 60V AC between the case and a ground.

    Has anyone else seen this before? I'm guessing it's a bad power supply.

    Does anyone know of a source for s2 power supplies? ...or some tips on fixing this one, please let me know.

    Thanks,
    Bob
    I measured the big silver heatsink once and it was at about 80VAC. Is there anything near it that might be touching when the case is closed?

    Have you disconnected everything except the power cord to make sure the voltage is not coming from a TV, amplifier, computer (!), etc.?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    17
    Why is the heatsink powered? That's bitten me a few times when screwing down my drive in my HDVR2

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Oprah's bellay
    Posts
    43
    Originally posted by mylo
    Why is the heatsink powered? That's bitten me a few times when screwing down my drive in my HDVR2
    Most devices with a heatsink attach one of the component's leads to the sink for various reasons. Often these leads are connected to ground, but apparently in this case the lead in question is connected to a source of 80VAC.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •