Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Alternative to 9th Tee

RE

If you wanna talk about stolen designs, then you are opening one big @$$ can of worms. The whole economy is based on copying designs and renaming them. This is what Japan did with many products including cars in the 50's and 60's. This is how prices go down. Yes, somebody initially fronts up the money to do the research and testing, and that's why they reap the initial benifits. When other companies come along later on, like in this case, 1 year later, and copy the design, they get in the market but for a much lower profit. This is what drives the competition. The 9th tee guys have made lots of money on the Turbonet cards, I am sure they don't have anything to worry about. Smart companies invent new products or improve on the ones they make to stay ahead of the game. It's a vicious cycle, I know, but that is what you have to do to make it in this free world.
    BTW: I have two Tivo's and two of the Original Turbonet cards, so I am not in any way supporting X Factor or whatever they are called.
    Just my $0.02

Honer

Originally posted by captain_video
    I've had Turbonets go bad that 9th Tee swapped out for only $30 after the warranty expired. Will X Factor do it for less, assuming they're still around?

If the Turbonet knockoff was an original design being sold at a lower price then I'd wholeheartedly support the sale of the product. Competition is good for everyone. As it stands, it is a stolen design marketed by an unscrupulous dealer taking advantage of someone else's hard work. Right now, the Turbonet offered by 9th Tee is the only "official" ethernet adapter that will work in a Tivo.

Buying a Turbonet from X Factor is like buying a watch from a street vendor in NYC. The fact that they're selling a stolen design tells me they're dishonest and can't be trusted. If that's what you want then nobody's stopping you. Personally, I'd prefer the real deal. At least I know 9th Tee and Jafa will be around to provide support down the road. Can you say the same for X Factor? AFAIK, the X Factor website has already shut down.
    If this were another forum I would have to respecfully close this thread. But fotunately it's not.

If you paid $70 for the first turbonet and $30 for the second, how does that contrast with paying $40 for the first knockoff turbonet and $40 for the replacement if it dies?

Maybe the street vendors have a good thing going. Ever been tempted to buy a fake Rolex for 1/20th of the cost? A fake copy of Windows to save $100? Ever burn and watch a movie ripped from the TiVo instead of buying the real DVD?

Originally posted by David Bought
    ...fortunately it's not.
    AMEN to that!

Originally posted by captain_video
    Buying a Turbonet from X Factor is like buying a watch from a street vendor in NYC. The fact that they're selling a stolen design tells me they're dishonest and can't be trusted. If that's what you want then nobody's stopping you. Personally, I'd prefer the real deal. At least I know 9th Tee and Jafa will be around to provide support down the road. Can you say the same for X Factor? AFAIK, the X Factor website has already shut down.
    The fact that jafa didn't patent his design effectively makes it public domain, I am afraid.

The turbonet bears alot of similarities to a prototype found in the ax88796 datasheet, btw, and most of the pins of the chip go to TiVo's motherboard.

As far as the support goes, many times I've heard of 9thtee referring people who bought a turbonet to AVS Tivocommunity for support.