Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Ok. Time for a list of working DVD Players for Tivo DVDs...

Burning Issues

I have managed to Burn some Video to disc after using the TyTools method. This all went without a hitch, the menu creation went fine. But when I play the DVD in my Toshiba SD1100E DVD player I get half a picture and its like its playing in fast forward (squeeky voices). I can play it on my laptop through windvd perfectly.

My questions is this: Will the DVD player be the problem? Or is there something else I can try to get it working through the DVD Player. I have tried 3 types of media.... Anything else I can try? Or do I buy a new DVD Player?

ta
    What's the return?

1: Landel DV-268 ($40 Frys special a few weeks back)
    2: TyTools 7r10 w/ tserver_mfs7
    3: TyTools 7r10 & Nero 5.5.10.20
    4: DVD Success - Chapters dont seem to work
    5: Chapter Forward and Back do nothing, I used the Use Edit points as Chapters and the edit points were at the beginning and end of the material (No Commercials in middle). I was hoping to jump from show to show using chapters, but no go.
    6/7/8 - SVCD Not tried
    9: Used Maxell DVD-RW to proof, havent tested -R media yet. Maxells are Made in Japan, re order # 635110

1: Pioneer DVD-525
    2: TyTools 7r10 w/ tserver_mfs7
    3: TyTools 7r10 & Nero 5.5.10.20
    4: DVD Success - Chapters and 480x480 minor issues
    5: Chapter Forward and Back as above.
    5: The first few seconds of each show, and during FF and RW, the image squashes to the left 1/2 of my TV and doesnt come back to normal until its back to playing at 1x
    6/7/8 - SVCD Not tried
    9: Used Maxell DVD-RW to proof, havent tested -R media yet. Maxells are Made in Japan, re order # 635110
    Original TiVo 14 hr w/ 80GB B
    TurboNet w/ Telnet/FTP/Web/TyTools r10

1- Brand/make/model/year?
    Pioneer DV-434 (unknown year)

2- Software to split/process TyStream?
    MFS_Stream via TivoWeb => TyStudio to split out MPEG => MPEG-VCR to edit => MPEG-VCR to demux => Authoring software (have tried DVDMaestro & DVD-Lab) => Nero 5.5 to burn disc.

3- Software to create DVD fileset?
    Have tried both DVDMaestro and DVD-Lab.

4- DVD success or failure?
    Failure

5- Description of the DVD failure if there was one?
    Video squished to left-hand side of screen.

This seems to be an issue with the Pioneer players based on other posts in this thread. Some have reported that this happens only during FF/RW (but returns to normal a normal aspect when played at 1x), but on this player it's always squished to the left.

Very disapointing as this player handles just about anything else you throw at it (typical of Pioneer, quite versatile decks regarding media & formats)... I guess except for 480x480 on a DVD!

6- Software to create SVCD fileset?
    Have not tried SVCD yet (once you've had DVD, it's really hard to go back to any VCD format!!)

7- SVCD sucess or failure?
    Unknown

8- Description of the SVCD failure if there was one?

9- Short comment on report.
    It looks as if my problem is strictly with the player, as PowerDVD plays the video just fine. I will try this on other players and report.

Apex 660/OFFA and Apex 5131 (not new)

TyTool 8r3 (made key and edited, Multiplex: Standard Mux Output, No Audio Processing)

DVDLab 1.3b9 (Import/split, video: fixed GOP timecode, audio: to AC3@192 via BeSweet 1.4, menu, chapters, compiled alternate and forced audio, burned)

Success on both DVD+R/RW

Could not get extra data to disk as "hybrid". Appears to work but unable to locate on disk from PC, although the disk space under properties appears to be correct. (735 MB as video/audio folders, 1825 MB as ISO).

Burned on Plextor 708A (1.03), source DTivo 2. My understanding is this is as close to standard NTSC http://www.dvdrhelp.com/dvd as possible without transcoding to 720x480 (from 480x480).
    DSR-7000/17 and HDVR2 both stuffed, hacked and superpatched via USB 2.0 ethernet (now fakecall'd)

New XBox with Dtivo

XBox (either v1.4 or v1.5, haven't cracked it open yet to check)

TyTool 8r3 (from Dtivo S1, no seperate audio muxing -> just straight to .vob mux and with edits)

TyTool 8r3 (from mux'd .vob files right to DVD)

Success with DVD+R (Phillips DVD+R media and burned with Nero)

None

Appears to work perfectly.

Samsung HT-DM150 2002

TyTool 8r3 from Dtivo S1 no seperate audio muxing -> just straight to .vob mux and with edits

TyTool 8r3 (from mux'd .vob files right to DVD)

Success with DVD+RW (Generic DVD+RW media that came with LiteOn dvd burner and burned with Nero). This was the first test I did and everything seems to work flawlessly.

None
    HDVR2 running 6.2 on a dying WD 120GB with an expired warranty. Trying to get Barracuda to play nice.

Sony DVP-S560D - success

Sony DVP-S560D ?I think it was introduced in 1999?

tyTools 8r4

DVDLab....One note, the source was DirecTV, 480x480, so it's SVCD format on DVD media. I burned onto DVD+R using a TDK indiDVD (dvd+r only model)

Success

I have recently googled this DVD player, and it sounds like a lemon. ~2 years, and the laser takes a crap, and you get c13 errors. I have had it for probably 3+ years, with no problems....yet. It's my secondary DVD player, and doesn't get pounded with use though.
    Last edited by bdonalds; 12-11-2003 at 11:15 AM.

Panasonic RP-62 - failure

Panasonic RP-62 ?2002?

tyTools 8r4

DVDLab....One note, the source was DirecTV, 480x480, so it's SVCD format on DVD media. I burned onto DVD+R using a TDK indiDVD (dvd+r only model)

FAILURE!

After some frustration, I did some looking, and it appears that this model may not support DVD+R..(except, well see two paragraphs down). A search http://www.dvdrhelp.com shows that it probably supports DVD-R/RW, but most people haven't successfully gotten it to play DVD+R/RW.

Does anyone else have this DVD player? A search on this forum yielded nothing. I LOVE this DVD player...but if it doesn't support DVD+R/RW video, it's going to have to go. It has everything I want, prog scan, optical audio, Dolby, component, etc. It has taken everything I have fed it until the DVD+R Video.

The weird think is, I burned a DVD+R full of MP3s, which were in folders on the DVD, by artist, and when I popped it in, this player pulled up a screen with the list of folders that I could browse, play songs from a specific folder, shuffle the who mess, etc. That is a kick butt feature...I don't think that most DVD players will handle an MP3 disc. That worked, but for some reason, it wouldn't read the same type of media, same brand, but different data format....

Would burning in "data" mode instead on "DVD-Video" maybe help? Would that cause problems on other DVD players then? Oops...I am straying way off topic.

Bryan

EDIT:

Just found this thread from daveinfla about buring using UDF format. I'll try it and edit with my results for the RP-62

http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...Home#post81097
    Last edited by bdonalds; 12-11-2003 at 02:08 PM.

Re: Ok. Time for a list of working DVD Players for Tivo DVDs...

Cyberhome CH-DVD 300, 2003 AFAIK

mfs_ftp, TyTool/TyNix

dvdauthor, mkisofs, cdrecord-prodvd

Success, mostly.

Occasional glitches, mostly just a frame out of place, but one that stopped the video for a few seconds. When it resumed, the interlaced frames seemed to be in the wrong order.

vcdimager, cdrdao

Success, mostly.

Same as DVD.

This sweet little player, the smallest I've ever seen, is only $35 at Best Buy this week. I bought it with the hope of replacing my Apex 1500, which was having some issues with halting on Tivo discs. I also wanted its more modern features, like JPEG/MPEG playback and long filenames for MP3s. (Those features work pretty well -- not perfectly -- but I guess that's a discussion for another board.)

The Cyberhome did resolve those halting problems, but introduced a new problem of its own, as noted above. I seem to have less trouble with Tivo DVDs than with SVCDs, but I have very few Tivo SVCDs to test with. All my Tivo DVDs are 480x480, and burned on DVD+R.

The aspect ratio on playback of my PAL SVCDs is much better here than on the Apex. Unfortunately, there's a worse problem instead: the sound is out of sync. I'm not sure if this is actually a PAL problem, or if it's just a coincidence; needs more testing.

This player can reportedly be made region-free from the menus. I haven't tried that yet.

All in all, I haven't entirely decided whether to keep it, though it seems too cute to return. :-)
    Last edited by TheWickedPriest; 12-18-2003 at 06:44 PM.

Toshiba SD-H400 (a late-year 2003 model combination Series 2 SA Tivo & DVD unit)

all versions of Tytool, going back to the oldest.

Mostly DvdMaestro (98%). Also a few produced only with Tytool 8r3 (they worked)

About 95% worked. I haven't been able to test comprehensively yet but a few older discs would not boot. I tested about 30. Only two older ones failed. But it could be poor media compatibility too (cheap DvdPro DVD-R discs).

When it worked, it worked completely with good playback quality, no stuttering. When it failed, it wouldn't even load the title screen with the movie selection menu. I suspect my cheap media is at fault, not the extraction software.

Toshiba SD-K730

Toshiba SD-K730 Its a 2003 from costco, about $80

Tytool 8r3 for everything.

Tytool 8r3

Partial Success (dolby digital audio in dvd makes dvd freeze up alot)

When done with no transcoding of audio it played video perfectly but
    no sound. I assume its because mpeg 1 layer II audio is out of spec for ntsc dvd's

When done to dolby digital 348 it has video and sound but it only plays about 3 seconds and then locks up. If you skip to another chapter it will play another 3 or 4 seconds and lock up.

When done to DVD 48k @ 192 same problem as the first, I still think its the layer II audio thats the problem.

I would like to try transcoding the audio to LPCM and then mux it to a vob from that. I was hoping there was an option on vsplit or tytool to do that. If I take the time to transcode and mux myself I'll report back.

Update: Turns out I set the the dvd player to send on the raw audio bitstream to my stereo receiver which only understands dolby digital and PCM. When I set the dvd player to do the decoding I got the sound back. So now I have partial success, I will report back if I get the dolby digital sound to work.

The player doesn't play SVCD end of story.

Basically I hate this player but my wife picked it so what can I say. I'm keeping it around for that reason but I'm reading over this forum carefully to see a good on to replace it with. I am also looking at the cheapest player at costco because I have friends that say it will play nearly anything you throw at it, can't remember the model number though. I'll get back to you guys.

Update: Well I got the mpeg layer II audio to play but the dvd with dolby digital audio is still messed up. I don't recommend this player for playing tivo dvd's but it does work.
    Last edited by malfunct; 12-29-2003 at 07:27 PM. Reason: Fixed audio issues with mpeg layer II audio

Toshiba SD-3900 in 2003
    and JVC RX-DV3SL in 2002

Tytool 8r3

Tytool same version

Success except on the JVC player for menus -look below.

Menus created by Tytools had an odd problem on only the JVC player. When something is selected, it -should- appear in red text instead of white. On the JVC, this doesn't happen - everything remains in white, so you don't know what selection you've made until you hit enter on the remote. Perhaps the menus don't comply to all standards?

6- Software to create SVCD fileset?[/QUOTE]

N/A
    HDVR2 - 3.1.1b monte (3.1u5 boot), Bash_env hack, Tytools extraction, and USB200m ethernet.

Now it's time for some obscure DVD playing shizznit... ;-)

Sony DAV300 (Original DreamTheater, circa 2000)

TyTool 8r4

DVDlab 1.31

Success!

Zero failure. Easy as churning butter.

TyTool with Audio transcoding to 44.1 @ 192

Failure

This device doesn't play SVCD's nor recognize CD-R/RW media.

Great for TiVo DVD discs! (Supports +/-R and +/-RW)
    Last edited by amgqmp1; 01-02-2004 at 10:23 AM.

Let the obscure DVD playing shizznit roll forward... ;-)

Koss DVP2161 (circa 2002-2003)

TyTool 8r4

DVDlab 1.31

Success!

Zero failure. Easy as churning butter.

TyTool with Audio transcoding to 44.1 @ 192

Success!

Zero failure.

Great for TiVo DVD discs! (only tested DVD+R media, -R/-RW media compatibility is unknown)

Panasonic RP-56 and Philips DVD-727

TyTool

TyTool

Success!

No failure. Works 100% on both polayers.

N/A

N/A

N/A

I was extremely happy that both players can play DTivo streams without any effort... will make my world a whole lot easier from now on.