Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Standalone Series 2 People Out of Luck?

Standalone Series 2 People Out of Luck?

I've been reading this forum quite extensively and have come to one conclusion.

People who own Series 2 Stand Alone's are out of luck.

I currently own a TiVo Series 2 Stand Alone running Kernel 4.x.

BASH-ENV hack will only work on kernel 3.1U5, which only runs on HDTV2. The earliest Series 2 kernel from what I read is 3.2.0, which the BASH-ENV hack is not available for.

I could send it off to Kraven to get the PROM hacked, but still there is not a kernel image out there of 3.1U5 for the Series 2. Same goes for the Monte route.

Please correct me if I am wrong. I would love to throw away my Dazzle DVC-80 and move on to ripping the streams directly from the Tivo.

Thank you.

Wrong

Two kernel (card) monte works but you have to get your hands on a pre 3.2 kernel. I just started on this forum and it seems that people are pretty touchy about noobz asking questions, so I haven't figured out where to get it yet. The 3.1U5 won't work, but there are some out there that do. Somewhere.
    Last edited by beanball75; 07-09-2003 at 03:11 PM.

QUIT BITCHING!!!

Originally posted by needo
    I've been reading this forum quite extensively and have come to one conclusion.

People who own Series 2 Stand Alone's are out of luck.
    No, you are not out of luck.

Please do not come here and try to earn our pity. The old timers here like myself have listened to that sort of crap for years and are completely immune to it.

What happened when you tried to boot the 3.1u5 kernel on an SA?

Re: QUIT BITCHING!!!

Originally posted by David Bought
    No, you are not out of luck.

Please do not come here and try to earn our pity. The old timers here like myself have listened to that sort of crap for years and are completely immune to it.

What happened when you tried to boot the 3.1u5 kernel on an SA?
    My intention was not for pity. I apologize if it read that way. I was simply trying to get clarification. I did many searches and read for several hours before posting.

I have not tried booting a 3.1u5 kernel on the SA. I could only find 3.1u5 kernel's for the hdtv2 which I do not have. Of the posts I read the general consenus was that this kernel would not work on a standalone. Am I mistaken? I really hope I am!

Yeah, good luck getting anyone to give a definative answer on how to get BASH on a SA S2 with 4.0.

Everyone always says "search" for "BASH_ENV", but every thread only talks about the directv tivo's or series 1's. I've spent many an hour looking through every thread that even mentions BASH and I've only got a few pieces of the puzzle.

I'll post some links to the info I've found so far, but I don't know how much help they'll be.

But from all that've I've found so far is summed up with this: To get any kind of hacks going with 4.0, you either need to A. flash the prom, B. get the 3.0 backup image and use that to get the two kernal monty working, or C. live with what you got.

Originally posted by Chiun
    Yeah, good luck getting anyone to give a definative answer on how to get BASH on a SA S2 with 4.0.

Everyone always says "search" for "BASH_ENV", but every thread only talks about the directv tivo's or series 1's. I've spent many an hour looking through every thread that even mentions BASH and I've only got a few pieces of the puzzle.

I'll post some links to the info I've found so far, but I don't know how much help they'll be.

But from all that've I've found so far is summed up with this: To get any kind of hacks going with 4.0, you either need to A. flash the prom, B. get the 3.0 backup image and use that to get the two kernal monty working, or C. live with what you got.
    Yeah I belive the Monte is the best course of action. I have not yet found a 3.1U5 OS Image though. I'm still searching though.

I was going to post this earlier but you can thank the vbulletin 1 meg limit and file extension restrictions for ****ing up my upload.

This is the exploitable, BASH_ENV capable 3.1u5 HDVR2 kernel image, gzipped and split into two parts. ConCATenate them, gunzip, and write to a spare partition. A minimal 3.1u5 root partition (that is about 4 megs long) can be found elsewhere in the S2 forum; it contains no tivo software but has enough libraries and binaries to pass the initrd and run init/rc.sysinit/bash. If this kernel boots far enough to get a shell on the tty, you're golden (and please share your experiences for other SAS2 users). If you can't get the BASH_ENV hack to yield a shell on your SA box, either the kernel is incompatible with your box or you are retarded - either way, it's hopeless. Your best bet is to make a scratch image and overwrite hda6/hda7 if you are not familiar with the proper care and feeding of bootpage - then start reallocating space and trying more complicated partition/mounting arrangements after you know the kernel boots properly. GL.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by David Bought; 07-09-2003 at 07:24 PM.

part 2
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thank you very much. Im looking for a root image now and as soon as that is complete I will post my findings. Thank you for your help.

Thank you very much. Im looking for a root image now and as soon as that is complete I will post my findings. Thank you for your help.
    I certainly hope you took heed of Mr. Bott's friendly advice to search for a minimal root partition in the Series 2 forum.

Originally posted by Dr. Phil
    I certainly hope you took heed of Mr. Bott's friendly advice to search for a minimal root partition in the Series 2 forum.
    Yup. For the rest of the individuals out there I found the minimal root partition in http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...+AND+partition

His zipfiles. Also mrblack posted a hdvr2-31us site awhile back.

Now to see if hdvr2 will work on the standalone.

Happy Hacking!

Yup. For the rest of the individuals out there I found the minimal root partition in http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...+AND+partition

His zipfiles. Also mrblack posted a hdvr2-31us site awhile back.

Now to see if hdvr2 will work on the standalone.

Happy Hacking!
    Remember: all you need is for the 3.1u5 kernel to run correctly. If you can get that to boot you into a shell, you run monte to boot a 2.4.18 tivo 4.0 kernel and modified 4.0 root partition.

Don't forget about iptables / netfilter. If you don't change the startup scripts on 4.0, iptables will close off many interesting ports (such as telnet and ftp).

well, since no one has been able to produce definitive proof, i will be happy to investigate. of course, i dont have an SA S2. so, if someone wants to buy me one, i will be happy to figure stuff out =)
    Step one: search button!
    Silly Wabbit, guides are for kids

Originally posted by David Bought
    I was going to post this earlier but you can thank the vbulletin 1 meg limit and file extension restrictions for ****ing up my upload.

This is the exploitable, BASH_ENV capable 3.1u5 HDVR2 kernel image, gzipped and split into two parts. ConCATenate them, gunzip, and write to a spare partition. A minimal 3.1u5 root partition (that is about 4 megs long) can be found elsewhere in the S2 forum; it contains no tivo software but has enough libraries and binaries to pass the initrd and run init/rc.sysinit/bash. If this kernel boots far enough to get a shell on the tty, you're golden (and please share your experiences for other SAS2 users). If you can't get the BASH_ENV hack to yield a shell on your SA box, either the kernel is incompatible with your box or you are retarded - either way, it's hopeless. Your best bet is to make a scratch image and overwrite hda6/hda7 if you are not familiar with the proper care and feeding of bootpage - then start reallocating space and trying more complicated partition/mounting arrangements after you know the kernel boots properly. GL.
    It seems the gzip is corrupt.

$ cat 31u5.img.gz.1.tcl >> U5kernel.img.gz

$ cat 31u5.img.gz.2.tcl >> U5kernel.img.gz

$ gunzip U5kernel.img.gz
    gunzip: U5kernel.img.gz: invalid compressed data--format violated

$ file U5kernel.img.gz
    U5kernel.img.gz: gzip compressed data, deflated, last modified: Wed Jul 9 13:49:37 2003, os: Unix