Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: Standalone Series 2 People Out of Luck?

Quote Originally Posted by jermaine151
    It seems that tivostuff has been forced to take down their backup files, also. I burnt the ISO of tivoscripts_01, and it looks just like the MFS tools CD that I already have. I'm just confused as to how I can proceed with your how-to when I have no 3.0 SA images to work with. I run RedHat 8.0 on my laptop, so I'm familiar with linux, but a new tivo owner. I didn't start trying to hack my tivo until all of the software updates were complete, so my only backup is of 4.0.1 and not pre 3.2. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

You no longer have to follow the howto I wrote. The beautiful ISO does it all for you and walks you through an easy menu system.

I already tried 1.02 of the Sleeper ISO. The box went into a reboot loop.

The box is a new SA S2 with 4.01. It didn't even look like it got into the rc files.

Quote Originally Posted by needo
    You no longer have to follow the howto I wrote. The beautiful ISO does it all for you and walks you through an easy menu system.

Quote Originally Posted by cwingert
    I already tried 1.02 of the Sleeper ISO. The box went into a reboot loop.

The box is a new SA S2 with 4.01. It didn't even look like it got into the rc files.
    Weird the process has worked for me a couple times.

Im looking through my old backups for the walkthrough.

Muchas gracias.

One more question. I have seen some indication that tivoapp needs to be patched for 4.01 to boot correctly. Is this true? If so, any pointers.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by needo
    Weird the process has worked for me a couple times.

Im looking through my old backups for the walkthrough.

Muchas gracias.

One more question. I have seen some indication that tivoapp needs to be patched for 4.01 to boot correctly. Is this true? If so, any pointers.

Thanks
    No. Tivoapp will boot fine unmodified.

Sleeper includes a kmem command line in rc.sysinit.author. This is to have your tivo record video in an unscrambled state to prepare for extraction.

In 4.x tivo software versions, you also have to patch your tivoapp file when using the kmem method of unscrambling.

You should comment out this line and use the tivoapp cso patches Alphawolf posted.

The older method still works (I had already patched my 2 SA S2 tivo's and still use the kmem method) so you could use kmem with the older 4.x tivoapp patches MuscleNerd and I found but I recommend since you're starting new that you go with the latest.

I'll try to dig up a link to the thread and put it here.

NutKase
    "God, and DealDataBase, help those that help themselves." --Shamelessly stolen from psxboy
    ------------------------------------------------
    2 each, SA S2 287hr 7.2.1a's with Lifetime.
    Hacks: 1 Manually Monte'd -140, Bash,Telnet,FTP,TivoWebPlus,
    Superpatch-67all Unscrambled/HMO,MFS_FTP Ver. N,TyTools, tivoserver
    Fully hacked SA S1

Again, support much appreciated.

So I'll give the sleeper ISO another try. Not sure about the reset loop.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NutKase
    No. Tivoapp will boot fine unmodified.

Sleeper includes a kmem command line in rc.sysinit.author. This is to have your tivo record video in an unscrambled state to prepare for extraction.

In 4.x tivo software versions, you also have to patch your tivoapp file when using the kmem method of unscrambling.

You should comment out this line and use the tivoapp cso patches Alphawolf posted.

The older method still works (I had already patched my 2 SA S2 tivo's and still use the kmem method) so you could use kmem with the older 4.x tivoapp patches MuscleNerd and I found but I recommend since you're starting new that you go with the latest.

I'll try to dig up a link to the thread and put it here.

NutKase

Success SA2 4.0.1 with Sleeper ISO 1.2

Turns out the sleeper ISO installs 2.4.4 drivers on top of my 2.4.18 kernel drivers. This caused the reboot. Copied the original modules in place and it booted to completion.

Also learned that the kernel is now using iptables. A quick flush of the tables allows ftp/telnet access.

Once again, thanks for the support.

Off to do some MIPS development.

Amazed to see how fast the MIPs is compared to the PPC (latency wise).

Help

I see a lot of people had successfully have their SA series 2 working. I have been spending a lot of time on this and still could not make it to work. It was unfortunally that the step by step guide from Needo has been removed so I was unable to mod my receiver manually. I heard a lot of people can use Sleeper V1.02 to mod the receiver but I was unable to do that. The funny thing is sleeper V1.02 work perfectly for my Direct Tivo but not for Stand alone. Here is what I did

1. Backup the unit
    2. Restore and check of a new HD make sure it is working
    3. Run Sleeper V1.02 and did follow all the steps.

Result.

My screen keep stucking at "Welcome..." And from my terminal I keep getting this

Invalid kernel signature
    Service number is 1400000802C08BD.
    What is password?

Could you please help me out.

Thank

Where can you get 2.4.18

Hi I use sleeper V1.02 and I keep get stuck at reset but don't know how to get around with this. I saw your post that you can get around with this but because I don't know much about this so I need your help. First here can I get 2.4.18. And how can I dump it over since I can not get bash from Tivo nor ftp to it. After you did sleeper what did you do next. If you could walk me through that would be great.

Thanks

Turns out the sleeper ISO installs 2.4.4 drivers on top of my 2.4.18 kernel drivers. This caused the reboot. Copied the original modules in place and it booted to completion.

Also learned that the kernel is now using iptables. A quick flush of the tables allows ftp/telnet access.

I'm seeing the same reboot you refer to w/ the 2.4.18 kernel. How exactly did you copy the original modules back over? Can you elaborate on this? I have been stumped at the continuous reboot stage for awhile now. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by carovery
    g
    3. Run Sleeper V1.02 and did follow all the steps.

Result.

My screen keep stucking at "Welcome..." And from my terminal I keep getting this

Invalid kernel signature
    What is password?

Could you please help me out.

Thank
    This thread is about manually monte'ing your tivo. You'll learn more this way and be better able to fix problems that WILL come up w/tivo sofware upgrades, installing hacks, and hard drive crashes etc.

If you want help on hacking your drive using Sleeper's .iso, read that thread and post questions there.

That said, the error:

Invalid kernel signature
    What is password?

is commonly caused by not flipping the bootage and therefore trying to boot from the wrong kernel.

/path/to/bootpage -f -C /dev/hdx

f=flip, C=write it, x=wherever your tivo drive is on the ide chain.

Hope that helps. Also, I'll post the original guide which was only a copy of d70's and you guys looking for the 3.0 kernel and fs should check on eMule etc. I saw it up there a while back.

NutKase
    "God, and DealDataBase, help those that help themselves." --Shamelessly stolen from psxboy
    Fully hacked SA S1

It's worth a review for folks about to use killhdinitrd w/out a monte, or use killhdinitrd with a manual monte.

Keep in mind, this was hard. killhdinitrd is WAY easy!

There was a lot of learning going on in this thread:

manual monte'ing
    unscrambling
    Fine tuning the bootpage command
    Learning the value of serial output
    building serial cables
    pathing tivoapp

and more...

With killhdinitrd, you don't monte into another partition, you monte into a file on your active root partition. Beautiful!

You don't even need to monte if your tivo has a kernel version supported by killhdinitrd.

Just:

use bootpage to find your active root partition
    Use killhdinitrd on the kernel partition (the partition 1 less than bootpage reports)
    Apply hacks to your active root partition to your heart's content.

If your kernel is not supported, you need to monte and I've covered that in the A killhdinitrd'd 3.1u5 kernel and a Monte thread.

NutKase
    Last edited by NutKase; 09-11-2004 at 04:35 PM.
    Fully hacked SA S1

Quote Originally Posted by NutKase
    It's worth a review for folks about to use killhdinitrd w/out a monte, or use killhdinitrd with a manual monte.

Keep in mind, this was hard. killhdinitrd is WAY easy!

You don't even need to monte if your tivo has a kernel version supported by killhdinitrd.

Just:

use bootpage to find your active root partition
    Use killhdinitrd on the kernel partition (the partition 1 less than bootpage reports)
    Apply hacks to your active root partition to your heart's content.

If your kernel is not supported, you need to monte and I've covered that in the A killhdinitrd'd 3.1u5 kernel and a Monte thread.

NutKase
    One more clarification, it is possible to run a killhdinitrd supported kernel with some software that shipped with a kernel that is not supported. Examples include 4.0.1a kernel running with 4.0.1b software as both came with the 2.4.18 kernel. YMMV, but hey, you have a backup right?
    Magnus Unus

Can i Do This. Do you think it will work.

What do you think if i follow the fillowing steps.
    Be aware of that all that i need is to enable bash and MRV between this S2SA and a Hacked DTIVO (now running 4.0.2xxx with SuperPatch.)
    The Steps bellow are the step provided by HUGE and rc3105 on the 4.0 for RID (support) Thread that i used to upgrade my DTIVO but with with some minor modifications.

Install Tivo HD on PC
    Boot to PTV's LBA48 3.01 CD
    Mount the framework cd on /cdrom
    cd /
    cdrom
    mkdir /tivo
    Use bootpage to find root partition or the following commands
    mount /dev/hdc4 /tivo (no error for me)
    mount /dev/hdc7 /tivo (error here -must specify filesystem)
    Put the vmlinux.px where is needs to be
    cd /
    cp /cdrom/s2_kernels/3.1.1c/vmlinux.px.gz /tivo/var/vmlinux.px.gz
    cd tivo/var
    gunzip d v vmlinux.px.gz
    dd if=/tivo/var/vmlinux.px of=/dev/hdcX (x= 1 less that root) (should say 1+1 records in, 1+1 records out)
    Unmount the cd
    cd /
    umount /cdrom
    Eject the cd and insert the 1 with files
    Mount cdrom

cdrom
    Copy all the needed files to cdrom in the tivo root
    mkdir /tivo/cdrom
    cp -R /cdrom/* /tivo/cdrom
    Install busybox, tivoftpd etc
    mkdir /tivo/busybox
    cd /tivo/busybox
    tar -xvf /tivo/cdrom/tivotools.tar
    Check bootpage and change bootpage parameters
    cd /tivo/cdrom/bootpage
    ./bootpage p /dev/hdc (The result from this command on my unit was /dev/hda4)
    ./bootpage P root=/dev/hda4 dsscon=true console=2,115200 upgradesoftware=false C /dev/hdc
    Check bootpage again
    ./bootpage p /dev/hdc (The result from this command for me was root=/dev/hda4 dsscon=true console=2,115200 upgradesoftware=false)
    Create rc.sysinit.author
    cd /tivo/etc/rc.d
    pico or vi rc.sysinit.author
    Type in the following then save:
    #!/bin/bash
    /bin/bash -login</dev/ttyS2&>/dev/ttyS2& Instead of having the framework files with the test.conf file.
    export TIVO_ROOT=
    export MFS_DEVICE=/dev/hda10
    # start telnet
    tnlited 23 /bin/bash -login &
    # start ftp
    tivoftpd
    Save the rc.sysinit.author file.
    CHMOD the rc.sysinit.author
    chmod 755 rc.sysinit.author
    Disable Netfilter
    cd /tivo/etc/
    netfilter-disable
    mv netfilter-enable netfilter-kissmybutttivo (thank you NutKase)
    Now unmount everything and shutdown the pc
    cd /
    umount -f -a -r
    halt
    After reboot is complete, run Superpatch
    mount -o remount,rw /
    cd /cdrom
    chmod 755 superpatch-4all-NutKase-0.7.0.tcl (if it is not already)
    ./superpatch-4all-NutKase-0.7.0.tcl
    ./set_mrv_name_ADH.tcl YOURNAME (Type in the name for your Tivo)
    mount -o remount,ro /

WHAT DO YOU THINK

Quote Originally Posted by clkman1
    After reboot is complete, run Superpatch
    mount -o remount,rw /
    cd /cdrom
    chmod 755 superpatch-4all-NutKase-0.7.0.tcl (if it is not already)
    ./superpatch-4all-NutKase-0.7.0.tcl
    ./set_mrv_name_ADH.tcl YOURNAME (Type in the name for your Tivo)
    mount -o remount,ro /

WHAT DO YOU THINK
    You post is confusing but on the surface appears that it will work fine. Of course, you could introduce any number of errors if you don't know what you're typing in between the lines of all the steps.

Anyway, superpatch-4all is a .tcl program and as such is designed to be run on a running hacked tivo after you put the drive back in and boot the tivo. You do need to place the file on the tivo drive at some point.

NutKase
    Fully hacked SA S1