Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Hard Drive Unlocker for UTV

I used your utility to zero my 120Gig WD drive and it came back saying it was successful. I can't seem to do anything with the drive now including booting from a floppy and using your utility on it. No matter what I do nothing finds the drive.

First is the drive seen in your systems bios, if it is run fdisk and setup your drive.

MT

the hard drive unlocker works great i need to find a good program for editing the drive thx

not working

i get the system to boot off disk run the mhd3 program and select the drive..it tells me its locked..unknown error and will not clean up the drive as you state it should...

My UTV upgraded to 3.7 but I need 3.5 will this program get me back 3.5?

Thumbs down No go on WD120GB WD1200BB

I've pulled my Western Digital 120GB hard drive (model# WDC-WD1200BB) from my UTV and have run this utility on it 4 times. After it completes, I try to fdisk the drive and I get the error message "No Fixed Drives found". I've tried the drive as Primary Master, Secondary Master and Secondary Slave and the issue still happens. Not sure what I'm doing wrong but some have said that I need to wait 30 minutes per 40GB even after the utility completes. Does this make sense to anyone? I'll try again tonight and post the results by waiting.

Guido

Quote Originally Posted by guido79
    I've pulled my Western Digital 120GB hard drive (model# WDC-WD1200BB) from my UTV and have run this utility on it 4 times. After it completes, I try to fdisk the drive and I get the error message "No Fixed Drives found"... I'll try again tonight and post the results by waiting.
    Looks like I just needed to wait after it says it's complete for a while. After it ran for today, the security had been removed from the drive.

I now have the drive happily running in my DirecTivo system.

hot swap to save data

You can unlock the drive by firing up the UTV unit for about a 1-3 min.

When all activity is stopped the drive is now unlocked.

unplug ide cable ONLY (leave power ON)

hook a cable from your PC mother board ide connection, not to UTV drive yet!!!

boot pc...pause before hard drives are detected.....now hook cable to UTV drive.......space bar to continue......pc should see drive.

you'll need a full version of winhex to edit drive

when done......unplug ide from drive.....do not shut down pc....(or you can unplug it)

Unhappy Hard Drive Unlocker for UTV didn't work for me

I've tried this utility several times to unlock my IBM Deskstar 80GB drive to reuse in my computer and it doesn't work. Is there any other method available to do this?
    (other than placing it back in UTV)

Never mind. I found another thread with the info I need.

Thanks,
    Mike
    Last edited by MikeBTP; 06-23-2004 at 09:12 AM. Reason: Added last line

MHD3 v1.1 release

This is to announce the release of the UTV Hard Drive unlocker, MHD3 version 1.1. This update addresses an apparent timing problem experienced by many IBM/Hitachi Deskstar users. It may or may not work with other hard drive brands. As I had access to only my IBM Deskstar 180GXP, I wasnt able to test any other brands. If you have success with v1.1 with another brand, please post your results. If this program does not work for your drive, try the original v1.0 at the top of this thread. Also included is the source code for both versions 1.0 and 1.1 for all you coders. Enjoy.

NOTES ON USE OF MHD3.EXE:

- Most importantly, it is imperative you allow sufficient time for the drive to finish zeroing. For every 40 GB's of hard drive capacity, you MUST allow AT LEAST 30 minutes from the time you run mhd3.exe. Even if the program tells you the drive is finished sooner than this, let the machine sit at the a prompt until the necessary time has elapsed. This means for an 80GB drive, wait 1 hour; for a 120GB drive, wait at least 1.5 hours, etc from the initial mhd3 execution.

- This program must be run in pure dos from a boot disk.

- For best results, attach your locked drive as primary master with no other drives connected. If you get timeout errors, try using the program in an older, slower machine such as a p2-200.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Motherboard question

>I found the program does not like windows XP pro, use win 98 or 95.

That I can understand. My older computers [that run Win95 and Win98] don't support the large drives [40 gig and 80 gig] that I need to unlock. Will this be a problem? The bios might not recognize them either.

can this program be used to unlock xbox hd's?

Can this program you people are using for UTV drives be used on old xbox hd's for which the password is unknown? I tried it on a seagate 10gb from a busted xbox and it said the drive was using maximum security and when i tried to unlock it said there was an unknown error.

If this doesnt work on xbox locked drives anybody know of a util that does?

I also have tried it on a X-Box drive and got the same error. I have a 250 gig drive that is locked and need to unlock it. The X-Box is no longer around to unlock this drive. If you have a solution email me at speedyone@gmail.com

pc only

trying to reuse in my pc am throwing out the utv unit it says its complete but cant run fdisk or format it

Quote Originally Posted by andymil
    trying to reuse in my pc am throwing out the utv unit it says its complete but cant run fdisk or format it
    after mhd says it's done, it might not be. you should leave your drive running (with power) even after mhd3 says done. you should be able to hear the drive still zeroing out...you gotta listen closely.