Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DDB banned from TCF!

DDB banned from TCF!

In case anyone's interested, the mere mention of the DealDataBase forum in any of the Tivo Community Forums is automatically censored with a bunch of asterisks. If you post a link to this site the first part of the URL automatically gets "bleeped out." How's that for keeping your membership in the dark and away from the truth?

I posted a reply in a thread whereby someone was asking if it was possible to delete the recording history on a DTivo. Of course, we have the EditTitle utility so I indicated that such a program exists and posted a link to the thread that discussed it with the original file for download. I was amazed to see that the link didn't function because of the automatic censoring. I was even more amazed when one of the long-time members there kept insisting that it was not possible to do what I suggested without "extensive hacking" and emphatically insisted that it couldn't be done (in more than one post, I might add). David Bott and his cronies have really got their drones brainwashed into believing that their way is the only way and anything else is sacrelige.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

Perhaps, but they have not banned links to http://64.21.8.90/forum/ or http://*******.com/h50o

This is a battle that we can win.
    Heil TiVo!

Two words: **** 'em.
    Before PMing me: Iím not your personal tech support. If you have a question, ask in public so I don't have to repeat if somebody else asks. If you want images or slices, use emule. I will ignore all support PMs.

Sponsor a vegetarian! I have taken the pledge, how about you?

Originally posted by Adolf Bottler
    Perhaps, but they have not banned links to http://64.21.8.90/forum/ or http://*******.com/h50o

This is a battle that we can win.
    It's not a battle, stop trying to make it one!
    SpongeBob is not a contraceptive - Bart S.
    A tabloid, is that one of those really strong mints? - Homer S.

Originally posted by BubbleLamp
    It is a fight for free speech and for freedom of knowledge.

By using obfuscated links to make a point, users can show the censors that their cynical attempts to restrict the legitimate subject matter that users can link to and read about will not stand.

These dealdatabase forums do not discuss bomb-making, bridge-cable cutting, or TiVo/DSS service theft. There is no justification whatsoever for the AVS censors to artificially restrict the free flow of information by blocking this site.

If AVS were Microsoft, that move would have landed them in court.

Agreed. It's their choice and their loss.

Originally posted by David Bought
    It is a fight for free speech and for freedom of knowledge.

By using obfuscated links to make a point, users can show the censors that their cynical attempts to restrict the legitimate subject matter that users can link to and read about will not stand.

These dealdatabase forums do not discuss bomb-making, bridge-cable cutting, or TiVo/DSS service theft. There is no justification whatsoever for the AVS censors to artificially restrict the free flow of information by blocking this site.

If AVS were Microsoft, that move would have landed them in court.
    Start your own web site and set your own rules then. Nobody said these sites are democratic. They are owned and run by people, who are totally within their right to restrict the discussions as they see fit. Just like DTV hacking is off limits here. You hate the other site so much, don't go there! You're the loser if you can't understand that.

Start your own web site and set your own rules then. Nobody said these sites are democratic. They are owned and run by people, who are totally within their right to restrict the discussions as they see fit. Just like DTV hacking is off limits here. You hate the other site so much, don't go there! You're the loser if you can't understand that.
    I am deeply sorry to see that you have chosen to side with the censors on this issue. Mr. Bought is obviously trying to raise the quality of discussion at AVS; if he hated the site he would not care enough to try to improve it.

It is a sad day indeed when a man can be attacked for standing up for the principals in which he believes.
    Heil TiVo!

I gotta somewhat agree with BubbleLamp on this one.

If I had posted links to some of the now shut down DSS hacking sights the same may have been done here.

Screw TCF, let them be in the dark. Who cares.

Originally posted by onyx00
    I gotta somewhat agree with BubbleLamp on this one.

If I had posted links to some of the now shut down DSS hacking sights the same may have been done here.
    DSS hacking always was illegal. We know this because we have seen people go to prison for it.

This site has never provided information on illicit activities and therefore AVS's liability is indisputably zero.
    Heil TiVo!

Originally posted by Adolf Bottler
    This site has never provided information on illicit activities and therefore AVS's liability is indisputably zero. [/B]
    BULL SHIT!

I agree with BL. Tivocommunity is paid for by Tivo (in fact used to be on their servers). Tivo can set those type of rules.

It's just as easy to PM the poster or post something like, digital extraction can't be discussed here, do google search if you want more information. If the person can't find dealdatabase with that kind of hint (first 5 hits) they'll probably be lost once theY get here.

CV for someone with a stock tivo, using a program like edit title does require extensive hacking. I agree if the Tivo already has a bash prompt and a serial cable THEN it's easy.

It's just as easy to PM the poster
    I also forgot to mention that any PM's going through TCF are also censored. Now that's a direct violation of my First Amendment rights, I don't give a rat's ass who owns and operates the forum. If I want to send someone a private message then what friggin' right does the TCF have to censor it?

I can understand not wanting other forums mentioned there as the TCF is supported by advertisors and other sponsors besides Tivo. There is one advantage to owning and operating a forum - if you don't want something discussed you simply don't allow it. There's no such thing as free speech in a lot of forums for that simple reason. Check out the DVDXCopy forums at Afterdawn.com for a perfect example. The bottom line is that if you don't like what goes on there then just don't patronize the forum. It's no great loss to me if I never go there again but I have this overwhelming urge to tell others the truth about what Tivo hacking is really all about and not what David Bott and his gestapo want you to believe.

That's what's so great about these forums at DDB. We can talk about most anything we like as long as it stays pretty much on topic and even then nothing gets censored. I, for one, am grateful that we have a place like this where we can gather and share our views and experiences about a hobby we all enjoy.
    Last edited by captain_video; 07-16-2003 at 08:52 PM.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

Originally posted by captain_video
    I also forgot to mention that any PM's going through TCF are also censored. Now that's a direct violation of my First Amendment rights, I don't give a rat's ass who owns and operates the forum. If I want to send someone a private message then what friggin' right does the TCF have to censor it?

So are postings to AOL forums monitored. If you want to send PM, then do it via email. Sending it thru the vBulletin system is not private!

You guys seem to protest an awful lot about a site you don't care about.

Why don't you guys take this bitch session to Fox news and have Bill O. cover it.

Originally posted by captain_video
    I also forgot to mention that any PM's going through TCF are also censored. Now that's a direct violation of my First Amendment rights
    ...snip...
    Did the GOVERNMENT censor it? No. Then it has absolutely nothing to do with the constitution. Quit being obtuse.