Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disabling demo mode

Unhappy Disabling demo mode

Hi, does anyone know how to disable or delete the demo mode video that DIRECTV puts into the UTV receivers for dealers?? You cant delete it from "my shows" and its really making me crazy!!!
    it comes on automatically about every 6 minutes if you dont press any buttons on the remote, and it plays at about 3 times the volume of everything else.... please help!!! BTW yes, i'm an authorized dealer.

What are you doing to trigger this "demo mode"? Are you running a dealer card?
    Heil TiVo!

Yep, its a dealer card... i'm using this UTV as a demo for customers so I dont have to use a new receiver from inventory, because we will be charged back $125 from Directv for not activating it for a new customer.... I also have an old Philips DTV/TIVO unit (DSR6000R01) that I could use, but it does the same annoying automatic demo loop. Is it possible or easier to disable the demo using the TIVO instead? I'd rather use the UTV if its possible tho... Thanks in advance for any help!
    Last edited by theonlyest; 07-18-2003 at 08:04 PM.

if you are a dealer, then you are supposed to have the unit in demo mode, if you are not a dealer and are using a dealer card, then that is theft of service, something not discussed here.

is there a software fix to turn off demo mode permanently? not currently
    Step one: search button!
    Silly Wabbit, guides are for kids

I absolutely AM an authorized dealer... have been since 1995, i'm absolutely NOT a hacker or doing anything to steal service... you do have a point about the fact that "I should be running demo mode" but since the UTV equipment is no longer available, it seems stupid to have a demo running in my store about it! I just want to use it to demo basic DIRECTV programming without having that loud annoying demo loop starting up.... DIRECTV dealer services definately sees my point, but they insist that there is no way they can remove that loop from just MY showroom demo card.

Originally posted by theonlyest
    I absolutely AM an authorized dealer... have been since 1995, i'm absolutely NOT a hacker or doing anything to steal service... you do have a point about the fact that "I should be running demo mode" but since the UTV equipment is no longer available, it seems stupid to have a demo running in my store about it! I just want to use it to demo basic DIRECTV programming without having that loud annoying demo loop starting up.... DIRECTV dealer services definately sees my point, but they insist that there is no way they can remove that loop from just MY showroom demo card.
    so noted, not trying to be accusitory, but we have to be vigilant about dtv stuff these days. bottom line is that there are two ways to kill it: card or on the utv. card is a dtv hacking issue. utv is theoretically possible, but not something anyone has divulged how to bypass yet (or figured out how to bypass as the case may be)

<<not something anyone has divulged how to bypass yet (or figured out how to bypass as the case may be)>>

Hmmm... Somewhere in my forum travels I found a code to TURN ON the demo mode (cant imagine WHY anyone would WANT it on) so i'm surprised there isnt a code to turn it off!

OK, so can it be done with a TIVO? in researching this I have come to find there is ALOT of mods that can be done to a TIVO unit!!
    Last edited by theonlyest; 07-19-2003 at 01:19 AM.

can demo mode be permanently turned off on tivo units? in theory, yes.

<<can demo mode be permanently turned off on tivo units? in theory, yes.>>

wonderful! any chance you might tell me how???

Originally posted by theonlyest
    <<can demo mode be permanently turned off on tivo units? in theory, yes.>>

wonderful! any chance you might tell me how???
    Yes, find the code in the wince image that decides whether or not to enable demo mode and change that code to always decide "no."

As mrblack51 said, somebody may or may not have figured this out yet, but if they have they aren't talking.

With the new checksum and splitting utilities your job just got a whole lot easier...

<< Yes, find the code in the wince image that decides whether or not to enable demo mode and change that code to always decide "no."

As mrblack51 said, somebody may or may not have figured this out yet, but if they have they aren't talking.

With the new checksum and splitting utilities your job just got a whole lot easier...>>

Was that like... sarcasm?? I honestly dont know cuz I have no clue what any of it means! Whats a "wince image"?? and what are "checksum and splitting utilities"??

Im in the same boat as you. I have one in my showroom & the Demo mode keeps poping on & I cant get a real answer.

Originally posted by TheSlick
    Im in the same boat as you. I have one in my showroom & the Demo mode keeps poping on & I cant get a real answer.
    as mentioned in other threads, and this one, the real short term answer is to get a non-dealer card in there, or to convince dtv to turn off the demo mode stuff on your dealer card. otherwise, its wait and see, or start learning your wince stuff and mips opcodes

demo mode

Originally posted by TheSlick

straight answer here -----

search for fixdemo.tcl. As far as getting it on your TiVo - your on your own....

Myk

Re: demo mode

Originally posted by MyKroFt
    straight answer here -----

search for fixdemo.tcl. As far as getting it on your TiVo - your on your own....

Myk
    um, dude? he is talking about geting it working on the utv. thats for the tivo...got it backwards, eh =)