Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Killing the "error #51" nag without doing a "clear and delete everything"

Killing the "error #51" nag without doing a "clear and delete everything"

This script will remove the error #51 nag that shows up when you either move a hard drive from one tivo to another, or screw with your crypto chip (e.g. change the serial number).

Note though that if you run this script, any scrambled recordings that you currently have will no longer work. This means that you should only use this script if all of your recordings were recorded with noscramble. The reason being is that the particular keys stored on your tivos hard drive that are used to match the drive with the crypto chip are also used to encrypt your recordings, hence if you delete them, new keys will be generated, and the old streams will not decrypt properly.
    Last edited by AlphaWolf; 07-20-2003 at 08:20 PM.
    Before PMing me: Iím not your personal tech support. If you have a question, ask in public so I don't have to repeat if somebody else asks. If you want images or slices, use emule. I will ignore all support PMs.

Sponsor a vegetarian! I have taken the pledge, how about you?

Thanks.
    If a goldfish should want a vacation, who would know?

Another fine addition to the DDB library of useful hacks. Nice work, AW.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

Ok Im lost why is this... the File IS there

/var/hack# chmod +x 51killer.tcl
    /var/hack#
    /var/hack# ./51killer.tcl
    bash: ./51killer.tcl: No such file or directory
    /var/hack#
    /var/hack# ls -la 5*
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 0 0 989 Aug 4 21:49 51killer.tcl
    /var/hack# mv 51killer.tcl 1.tcl
    /var/hack# ./1.tcl
    bash: ./1.tcl: No such file or directory
    /var/hack# ls -la 1*
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 0 0 989 Aug 4 21:49 1.tcl

too funny. I just started a thread about this. I am having the same problems as you... file is there, but it won't let me run it. I'm stumped!

BTW I FTPed over this file in bin mode I guess Ill try non bin mode as well

looks like I accidently uploaded it with the winderz carraige returns, just use dos2unix on it, or whatever your favorite equivalent method is.
    Before PMing me: Iím not your personal tech support. If you have a question, ask in public so I don't have to repeat if somebody else asks. If you want images or slices, use emule. I will ignore all support PMs.

Sponsor a vegetarian! I have taken the pledge, how about you?

That did the trick! Thank you very much AW.

I just fixed the version that was posted at www.tivostuff.com

It now has the proper unix formatting.

It should work "out of the box" now.....

JJ

Thank you much worked fine for me

Hi guys, many people are having difficulty in FTPing small scripts to their TiVo.

The problem is the file becomes a DOS file instead of a Linux file. Instead of downloading some sort of dos2unx converter, try this simple suggestion....

Using Windows notepad, view the TiVo script on your PC.
    Using the dropdown menus in notepad, Try [Edit], Select All, then [Edit] Copy. For those of you who like using the keyboard, it is control-a, control-c

once you have done that, use the windows telnet command to login to your TiVo. To put the file onto your TiVo, try this:

cat > your-file-name-here (hit enter and the TiVo will appear to just sit there)
    Paste your text into the telnet window. If you used XP DOS/CMD to start telnet, click in the menu bar and select [Edit], paste. For Windows PowerUsers, the control-v (normal paste character) will not work.
    You will see the text suddenly appear on your tivo.
    Hit control-d to save the text.

example:

$ cat > 51killer.tcl
    (paste text)
    (control-d to save)
    $ chmod 755 51killer.tcl
    $ ./51killer.tcl

Hope it helps. I do it all the time, even on 'real' Unix machines. (no offense, I am simply stating that this is a common trick to get a script onto an unix machine)

Quote Originally Posted by JJBliss
    I just fixed the version that was posted at www.tivostuff.com

It now has the proper unix formatting.

It should work "out of the box" now.....
    Now that tivostuff.com is down (and I'm not getting through to pvrfiles.com's download page), is this unix formatted version otherwise available?

Also, I'm planning on swapping a drive back and forth frequently between two tivo's (the old tivo will still be used for recording unscrambled files and the new tivo for playback only). I take it I will need to run this script each time I swap the drive between tivo's, is that right?

Quote Originally Posted by JJBliss
    use the serial cable
    make it executable
    I don't have a serial cable for my T60. Presumably the important thing is just to run it while it's in the Tivo itself, which can be done via telnet, for instance. In my case, the recipient tivo will not be networked and I've lost telnet on one of my drives anyway, so I would want to execute 51killer from my rc.sysinit or something, right?
    Last edited by contemplativo; 07-21-2004 at 04:09 PM.

Here is a clean version. There is a handy DOS2UNIX.exe program that removes all of the windows formatting for you in a file. Search Google. Its good to keep around.

You upload it to a directory on your TiVo, and then execute it at a bash prompt with:

Code:
    ./51killer.tcl
    then reboot your TiVo.
    If a goldfish should want a vacation, who would know?

Functionality with new decryption methods?

In the readme.txt of the zip file included from pvrfiles.com, there's a caution to only use this file with noscramble recordings. Can anyone advise if it functions properly with kmem & CSO decrypted recordings? Also, is there a way to save the crypto keys this file deletes, in case it somehow fails and one needs to get back the ability to play their previously recorded shows? Thanks!

Just tried this on a DSR6000 and after I type yes I get Not changing anything.

Tried yes YES YeS and all variations. Also made sure my disk had rw access. Any suggestions?

And this was the 2nd file listed on this thread. Not the 1st one which was dos.

-----

Edited to say:
    Did some searching and found out the terminal window XP was adding some characters or something. Ran the script from the serial port and it worked. Rebooting now to see if the 51 nag is gone.
    Last edited by airf00; 01-25-2005 at 12:05 AM.