Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GXCEBOT help requested...

35 GXCEBOT help requested...

Ok, let me start from the beginning... I have a Hughes GXCEBOT that is less than a year old, took a lightning hit, and now has a bad modem. It was working fine, and was only noticed that there was a problem when it finally said it couldn't call "home".
    So I took the Quantum 40G out, backed up the image, installed the 6000_25Xtreme to the Quantum, and re-installed into the Tivo. The Tivo rebooted, flashed the eprom (I guess), rebooted and did the database rebuilding. Well, for one reason or another, I gave up because I couldn't get it to work. Now, about 4 months later I've dug this unit out (I sold the hard drive), and I have an IBM Deskstar 40G I'm trying to put in it. I put 25Xtreme on the IBM, ran the TivoMad proggy because 25Xtreme errored at 93% or so (which I read is common), mounted the 4th and 7th partitions, edited the rc.sysinit to add the line "runideturbo=false" since I don't have a Quantum drive anymore, and put it back in the Tivo. It always sticks at "Welcome. Powering up...", so I tried using MFSTools to put a 252 image on the IBM, then the Tivo just kept rebooting, "Welcome", GSOD, reboot, repeat... Soooo, I started over with a Low Level on the IBM, 25Xtreme, and stuck at Welcome. I've checked cables, powered off several times. Please help.....

You must complete that 25xtreme process (go all they way to acquiring satellite info) before trying any additional upgrades.

Back to xtreme...
    I have never experienced the decompression error, so I can't say it is not an issue. I would make sure you have a good copy (http://www.tivostuff.com) and reburn the cd and try again. If there is even the slightest chance your original xtreme install is bad, you are asking for trouble.

Make sure when you put the drive back in the tivo, the jumpers are set properly. On a single drive setup, it should be set for master (with no slave if that setting exisits.) Also, if you are using a cable with more than one connector, try the other one. Some say cable select also works, but I have never tried.

Good luck

You must complete that 25xtreme process

I knew I wasn't supposed to do the 252 until 250 went to acquiring satellite, but I was desperate. The IBM hd is set to Master, although I did try CS yesterday, it didn't help. I am downloading another 25xtreme that I see recommended here all the time and that's the next thing I'm going to try. As for the 93% issue, when I did the install on the Quantum, it bombed too, but I did the TivoMad thing manually, and all seemed to go OK. It's just this dang IBM Deskstar giving me so much grief. I'll try the new install again once it gets done downloading, it's only at 10% downloaded so far (I HATE dial-up, but I got sick of paying 60-70 dollars a month for DirecPC).

A dial-up connection is a last resort for downloading Tivo images, especially 2.5Xtreme. If you know someone that has a wideband connection see if they'll download it for you. There's too much chance of corrupting the image via dial-up and may account for the problems you're having. I would avoid IBM Deskstar drives like the plague. I've never heard anything good about them nor have I heard of anyone using them in a Tivo, but that doesn't mean someone hasn't done it successfully.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

Alot of people think that getting to 93% or 99% is ok, but its not. Any solid installation should go all the way. All the people that say they have success with 90 something percent restore ALWAYS have problems sooner or later. I have never seen a failed install work perfect from the start or down the road. Usually there are 2 major culprits. A bad image or a drive with bad sectors. I would first scrap the IBM drive, they are nothing but trouble, and cant take any kind of heat issues whatsoever. second, no matter how desperate you are you cant rewrite the rules. No need to go to 2.5.2 if 2.5 wont run. I would pull all the cables and reseat them, and flip the ribbon from the MoBo to the power supply around end for end and seat them good. Grab a drive from a buddy or spend the 50 bucks on a 40 gig and do it right. FIND someone to download the image from tivostuff.com for you. Burn it with .iso image under file in roxio or easy cd creator. Do each step right and it will go eventually. Rigging sh*t only gets you sh*t in the end.

Unhappy This bites...

Thank you all for your suggestions. The file I downloaded turned out to be the exact same 25xtreme I already had (I did a binary file compare), so that's not the problem. I have other hard drives, and it looks as though that is my next step. Does it matter that this DTiVo was running not even 4 months ago in the stream with a P4 subbed card in it? I'm guessing that the software on it was 3.1? Is that right? Does this 25xtreme flash the eprom with the required firmware? I'm really getting discouraged and I hope someone can give me an answer because I've been reading for weeks on this and other web sites to no avail...

Here You Go (answer)

first, if you dont have a good image nothing will work thereafter. You MUST know someone with dsl or cablemodem. If not go to the local kinko's or cybercafe or what have you and download the tivostuff image. You can also download the sony t60 image 2.5 xtreme its the same thing as the dsr6000 just to make sure. Burn the images using easy cd creator as an .iso image to make them bootable. Take your other drives (40 gig or more) and go to western digital or maxtors website and make a bootable floppy with their low level HD test software and make sure the drives are good. If you get a good image and a working drive I guarantee you will get 2.5 installed easily from there after,

Otherwise buy a drive with an image on it or have someone do the upgrade for you. It may be easier for you that way.

BTW it doesnt matter what card or version was on there. xtreme flashes the prom first thing so that aint it. Check the cable from the motherboard to the power supply and the jumpers on the drive should be master and the HD ribbon should only go one way on the board and HD

Originally posted by GREEK
    You can also download the sony t60 image 2.5 xtreme its the same thing as the dsr6000 just to make sure.
    This is incorrect. The Sony image has the remote codes for a Sony. It will work, but the remote control won't.

Try burning the CD at a slower speed, some folks have also reported bad/cheap media contributes to the less than 100% completion.
    SpongeBob is not a contraceptive - Bart S.
    A tabloid, is that one of those really strong mints? - Homer S.

Very True....Bubblelamp. I was just referring to trying the sony image to see if that file would work rather than the dsr6000 image for functionality testing. He seems to be having problems with the download and the file could be corrupt. The old file on pitou.com was also corrupt and would no finish rebuilding. He could use the file to change the remote codes to the peanut if necessary. (the screen backgrounds are sony obviously) If you read the whole thread he couldnt get the image to go past 93% and is using dial-up so he's making this tough on himself.

Exclamation Update

Ok, here is the update. I have plenty of working drives around, my wife complains constantly because we have about 14 computers in the house (I'm a LAN Manager and yes, they are all doing something). So, I took a good 30G Maxtor 7200 drive and used it. The 25Xtreme finished perfectly, 100%. The TivoMad said I only had to run it if the drive was over 30G, and since it isn't, I answered "n". I've placed the drive in the GXCEBOT and it says, "Welcome, Powering up..." for about 45 seconds, then the hard drive starts audibly reading/writing like crazy, then the Tivo reboots. It's been doing that about 20 minutes now. I'm going to try the "ideturbo=false" mod next. Any other suggestions? Thanks again. Oh, btw, I believe my images are fine, otherwise what are the odds of getting two ISO's with the same exact binary comparison? If they WERE erroneous, they would have to have the EXACT SAME errors. I'm still reading!!!

Check this out...

I booted up the 25Xtreme cd and tried to mount the 4, 7, and 9th partitions of my Tivo drive. Well, I mounted 7 and 9 no probs, but the 4th partition is either corrupted or non-existent. What gives?

Talking *HIGH FIVE*

***VICTORY DANCE***

Oh yeh, oh yeh, who's your daddy, who's your daddy?

Welcome....Almost There....Installing New Tivo Software....

It's a beautiful thing, and thank you all so very much, but it is now at "Updating database" and I think it is actually working. Ahem, bartender? I'd like to buy all these folks a drink.

Thanks again.

Question Spoke too soon?

Well, it seems to have been stuck at Updating database for a long time, and I read somewhere that maybe 30G isn't big enough since the GXCEBOT comes stock with a 40G and the DSR6000 comes with a 30+15, so I grabbed a WD60G 7200 and started over. I'll let y'all know...

Thumbs up Final Resolution

As a final summation as to what was going on...

My whole problem with being stuck at the Welcome was the "ideturbo=false" statement. I was adding this to the rc.sysinit file under /etc/rc.d on partition 4. Well, as I've learned the hard way (you should see how bald I am from pulling my hair out), I did add the correct statement to the correct file in the correct directory, but on the WRONG partition. Once I changed it on partition 7, not partition 4, all went well. It was actually an accident I figured this out, because I couldn't get to partition 4 at one point, I was forced to change it on 7, and voila, history is made.

Thanks to all again!

More Questions

I know I've typed a LOT of stuff in this thread, and I appreciate you all putting up with it. I've also read that there are going to be many issues I wind up against that I'm going to need help with.

Anyway.....How long does this "rebuilding database" supposed to take? Somewhere I read it shouldn't last more than 30 minutes. Well, mine has been on it about 45. Also, I read a thread that said one guy remarked out the prom update line in his rc.sysinit to get his unit to get past the rebuild, is this legit?

Thank you in advance,
    NK