Thread: MFStool.static

Question delete

someone please delete this post that has the power.

Last edited by cardman; 08-01-2001 at 04:18 PM.

When software is in beta testing and it is not for general usage. Keep in mind that it has not been released yet because it is not fully tested and may very well damage your hard drive. People are testing it and when it is working and safe (safer) it will be released to public usage.
    Last edited by SuperVHS; 08-01-2001 at 04:56 PM.

Read the readme that came with it. If you don't have the readme, then you aren't in the beta. There are good reasons for beta tests to be closed, the most obvious of which is that people outside the beta don't know how to use the program.

-GhostInTheMachine

Uh, what he said.

Whatever guys, Remember this is a free speach forum and even if its in beta it's not like its under NDA and even if it was, it's not that important. I don't really understand why poeple like these betas so much. Just don't get it..
    - Vadim
    Administrator

"I don't really understand why poeple like these betas so much."

if those with the knowledge take the time to write a not-for-profit program that adds functionality or features (or whatever!) to a device that others in the community use, the least i can do is to offer my services to test, use, abuse, missuse and generally whack the living daylights out of it to help make sure that when it's released, it works under any conditions.

it's one way i can give back to the community that has helped me turn my tivo in one hell of a box!

freedom and hypocrisme

Yep, this is the uncensored tivo forum...Even now cardman himself asked to erase this thread, we should not do this.

Let it sit here as an example of what is possible on this forum.

We are hacking the shit out of those tivo's so don't get upset if someone somehow got this beta tool and is starting to ask questions. it's hypocrite

lets be glad that the one that developes this tool already can see he is not doing it invane. We (the tivo hacking community , if it exists) really could benefit from a tool like this.

feel free to move to AVS if you need censoring-)
    bugs and spellingvaults are a feature-)
    dank yoe

I agree there is no big deal with beta s/w. Most people will want the final, working (nearly all bugs worked out) version.

Sometimes, a person will find themselves with a beta program without realizing it and expect it to function normally and want to know more from others about how it works. This could be a problem, if it has flaws that have not been discovered or still in process.

As far as open discussions, I am all for that. And, if I were testing beta software, I would also want to respect the requests of the author and keep quiet until the s/w was released. Just as I would expect anyone testing s/w for me to keep silent on it until I was ready to release it. Beta testers are normally under a pledge of secrecy. No big deal. I am sure most users are glad that they were not the first to try new software.

The major reason I don't want people blabbing about a beta on PUBLIC forums is because I don't want to piss Tiger off. Yes, this is a free speech hacking forum, but we still must protect ourselves from a brain drain. If we don't respect Tiger he will stop releasing his programs.

Most hacking communities have a few good programmers that release all the code, and have a shit-load of other people that use these programs. When these programmers go into a forum they hear a lot of bitching about how their program doesn't do exactly what some loser wants. The programmers put up with this because they know it comes with the territory, but they still try to cut it down as much as possible. They beta test to make sure there are no bugs and make sure all their features work. Sometimes a feature has to be cut out. Imagine the bitching a programmer would hear when a new program doesn't do A Miracle(tm) that everyone thought it should.

It doesn't matter why Tiger doesn't want the beta public anyway. He will be releasing it soon, be patient. If you have a friend in the beta that can give you the program and tell you how to use it, cool. Just don't start discussing it in a public forum. As long as they are reasonable, respect Tigers wishes and maybe he will keep releasing his projects.

I know this forum was created because the AVS twinkies didn't want to piss TiVo off. But there is a difference between waiting a couple days out of respect and not doing something really cool because a company wants to make more money.

I don't know how well that was explained, but I understand it .

-GhostInTheMachine

I agree.....partly

Beta testers shut up: they made a promise to tiger: the developer...

All others: talk as much as you like. You didn't make a promise. I think that is the way we al can agree with in ths case and all next cases.

(AND stop talking about hacking 2.5...let tivo first release it properly..grin)

I can agree with all that.

I want my dual tuners AND a TiVoNET so lets let them release this update before we destroy it. Its all about timing.

-GhostInTheMachine