Thread: Extraction Discovery

Extraction Discovery

I am extracting using TurboNet with a direct connection via a cross-over cable and my extraction speeds are brutally slow. I also am in still in the 1900's using a dial up internet connection.

The other day I realized that if I'm on line my extraction speeds increase and stay steady at 1.6 Mb/s and then when log off the extraction speed drops to an average of about 0.3Mb/s. Actually the extraction holds at 0.oMb/s for quite a while and then jumps to 1.6Mb/s for a short time and then drops back to 0.0Mb/s etc.

If I connect back on the internet - the speed jumps back to 1.6Mb/s and hold steady.

This is very weird.

Does anyone have any ideas of how to keep my extraction speed at 1.6Mb/s without being on-Line?

How exactly are you extracting? (What software?)

This kind of problem sounds almost like a DNS issue, but I'd expect that to affect only the startup time. I doubt there are any reverse lookups going on anyway. Hmm...

I'm using TyStudio with a static IP & Cross-Over Cable and a Dial-Up Modem Connection to the Internet.

The results for extracting during an internet connection are dramatically better than when I'm not connected to the internet.

I'd like to figure this one out.

--Hobby--

Originally posted by Hobby
    I'm using TyStudio with a static IP & Cross-Over Cable and a Dial-Up Modem Connection to the Internet.

The results for extracting during an internet connection are dramatically better than when I'm not connected to the internet.

I'd like to figure this one out.

--Hobby--
    Are you accessing your Tivo by it's IP address, or by a name? I agree, it sounds like a DNS type problem.
    SpongeBob is not a contraceptive - Bart S.
    A tabloid, is that one of those really strong mints? - Homer S.

But unless TyStudio is doing something really whacked out. There is no need to look up DNS more than once. You don't connect and hence look up DNS info for each packet. You couldn't and get any speed at all.

I actually think that whatever modem driver you are using is leaving "droppings" behind on windows. It would not be alone in this behaviour.

I expect it is either a split horizon problem with the modem being turned off or a routing entry with a really low weight were left behind it would try going out the modem first, and then upon a timeout would try other interfaces hoping to get something through another channel.

But who knows. Windows is evil and should be destroyed...

--jdiner

His dial-up is probably being seen as the default gateway too. And then there is binding order for NDIS, another braindead idea. Yup, lots of possibilities.
    SpongeBob is not a contraceptive - Bart S.
    A tabloid, is that one of those really strong mints? - Homer S.

There are just so many great possibilities for screwups in networking... There is some real job security for those guys!

--jdiner

Hey Hobby,
    are you still having the problem. If so, you need to start back over with the basics on your network.
    You said you are set up with static on the TIVO side. Did you make sure that your settings are still set on your Windows side(I am assuming windows). It sounds like the windows side is not set statically and when you connect to the internet it assigns an ip(even though not on the same subnet) it would find it because it is the next hop. Check in network neighborhood to make sure it is still set to a static IP. I have had this change back to "obtain IP automatically" without me knowing this and caused me a lot of headaches

Originally posted by noobie_doo
    Hey Hobby,
    are you still having the problem. If so, you need to start back over with the basics on your network.
    You said you are set up with static on the TIVO side. Did you make sure that your settings are still set on your Windows side(I am assuming windows). It sounds like the windows side is not set statically and when you connect to the internet it assigns an ip(even though not on the same subnet) it would find it because it is the next hop. Check in network neighborhood to make sure it is still set to a static IP. I have had this change back to "obtain IP automatically" without me knowing this and caused me a lot of headaches
    Thanks noobie_doo

I'll look into that tonight.

--Hobby--

This sounds like the bindings could be in the wrong order. Depending on what version of Windows you are using, you can change this from the network properties' Advanced page.

BTW: you should also disable everything on your network card except TCP/IP. Disable the Client for MS-Networks, and the File/Print sharing. Also if you have network monitoring, load balancing, or QoS, uncheck that also... The only thing you want binded to the network card is TCP/IP.

Also, you will want to setup your static IP with IP and subnet mask ONLY, no default gateway or DNS entries...

-James
    =-BAHitman

3 HDVR2 - 1x160G 4.01b
    3 DSR7000 - 1x160G 4.01b
    1 Tivo 60hr - 1x60G 7.1

TiVo - The best thing since Color TV!