Thread: File arrangement on two drives?

File arrangement on two drives?

I hope this isn't too stupid of a question, but this is a newbie board, so I'm hoping it's appropriate...

I am about to install a 120GB drive as the second drive in my HDR2. I may eventually want to replace the original 40GB with another 120GB drive, but it made me start to wonder... how does the HDR2 arrange files on the two drives? Does it first fill up the main drive and then go to the second once the first is full?

Just trying to collect some info... thanks.

Well if you're hoping you can pull one of the drives later on to do a one-drive upgrade, sorry. Once the second drive is added they are "married" and cannot be separated.

You can however use MFStools to make a "divorced" copy, then restore that image to new drive(s).
    SpongeBob is not a contraceptive - Bart S.
    A tabloid, is that one of those really strong mints? - Homer S.

Ok, that sounds promising... thanks. Will MFSTools allow me to take an image from a 40GB drive and copy it to a 120GB drive?

Thanks for the help...

Originally posted by binkatl
    Ok, that sounds promising... thanks. Will MFSTools allow me to take an image from a 40GB drive and copy it to a 120GB drive?

Thanks for the help...
    Yes

Check out Hinsdale's How To for MFS Tools 2.0 for all the info you need to backup, restore, and upgrade your Tivo drives:

http://www.newreleasesvideo.com/hins...to/index9.html
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

while you will lose out on 40gb of storage in the short run, your best bet is to backup your current image and restore it onto the 120gb while expanding the image. that way, when you get the second 120, you can just use add and go, not loosing any programs. if you try the divorce route, you loose all the recordings
    Step one: search button!
    Silly Wabbit, guides are for kids

Originally posted by mrblack51
    while you will lose out on 40gb of storage in the short run, your best bet is to backup your current image and restore it onto the 120gb while expanding the image. that way, when you get the second 120, you can just use add and go, not loosing any programs. if you try the divorce route, you loose all the recordings
    He can make a divorced image without losing recordings. He can also do a direct xfer to the 120GB drive and then expand it to full capacity as you said.
    Last edited by BubbleLamp; 08-09-2003 at 11:00 PM.

Thanks guys, I'm going to go with the 120GB drive for now, because my longterm plan is to have two 120GB drives. This way I'll just have to add a second drive later on.

Thanks for the quick response.

Originally posted by binkatl
    Thanks guys, I'm going to go with the 120GB drive for now, because my longterm plan is to have two 120GB drives. This way I'll just have to add a second drive later on.

Thanks for the quick response.
    Please don't forget to increase your swap space ready for when you add in another drive or you may get future problems. Read the Hinsdale guide several times to make sure you know what you're doing. When I did my last upgrade, I copied the guide into a text file, deleted the parts that didn't apply and kept the text open on one pc while doing the upgrade on another so I was able to constantly refer to the exact command lines.

HTH