Thread: converting directivo to standalone

converting directivo to standalone

is it possible to convert a directivo to a standalone tivo so that it works with other cable service providers?

No

I have a new Phillips stand alone that I might be willing to trade for a DTiVo. I have both now and could use another DTiVo
    There are 2 secrets to success.
    #1: Don't tell everything you know.

Originally posted by Barberb12
    I have a new Phillips stand alone that I might be willing to trade for a DTiVo. I have both now and could use another DTiVo
    i hope you are ponying up cash or something to go along with the trade. philips sa units are worth $99 or so (more if bigger hard drives), while a working dtivo is worth $300 base
    Step one: search button!
    Silly Wabbit, guides are for kids

lateboy: No, because the DirecTivo lacks a crucial bit of hardware that a standalone has: an MPEG encoder. Not to mention analog video inputs. Instead, it relies on DirecTV to do the encoding, and it just records the digital stream as-is.

mrblack51: Huh? They're only $250 new.

I believe he's referring to a series 1 DTivo.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

Originally posted by TheWickedPriest
    mrblack51: Huh? They're only $250 new.
    s2 dtivos are $250 new, and can be had for less with certain deals. however, when people say dtivo, most are reffering to s1 units still, which go for $300 plus. regardless, the point still stands that a sa unit (especially an SA s1) is not equivilent in value to a dtivo of the same recording size.
    Step one: search button!
    Silly Wabbit, guides are for kids

if you're looking to use tivo to record cable and other non-dtv stuff, you can get a factory reconditioned series 1 tivo from philips. THey start at $89 plus shipping. I just got one to play with so my DSR6000 wouldn't get lonely.

http://www.servicedvr.com/Extra/BuyExtraTivo.asp

if I understand this post correctly, you can move move your dtivo hard drives to a SA tivo and keep your hacks and recordings.

http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...threadid=25568