Thread: Daily call via ethernet on DSR7000?

Daily call via ethernet on DSR7000?

I am still new to Tivo hacking but I've made it about half way through Cobelli's guide (http://www.hostfreedom.com/tivo/index.html) with no problems yet. I have not yet hooked up the tivo to the phone line - in fact, they won't even finish connecting my dish until Monday.

1) Should I ever connect the phone line? I read someone say to NEVER connect the tivo to the phone, but elsewhere I see where it says go ahead. Will it screw up any of the hacks?

2) The guide says "There are three main hacks I was unable to get working and they are therefore not included in this guide. These are the Lba48 kernel (Larger than 137gb hard drive support), daily calls out the ethernet adapter, and monte." But this thread (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...l&pagenumber=1) talks about avoiding the call. I don't completely understand that thread yet, but it seems that fixsub will prevent the call but how to you get the guide information? Is there a way to get the tv data with ethernet, without every connecting the phone up?

on directivos, guide data comes down via the satellite. the phone home via phone or ethernet is just to get software upgrades and send your usage logs to tivo. there is also the seperate phone call which goes out to dtv to let them know about your ppv purchases.

fixsub will cause the tivo to think it has done its phone home. if you don't plug in the phone line, then you won't be able to order ppvs from your remote (you can order them online though).

in general, its a bad idea to let your tivo call home if you have bash and such enabled. the reason is that you are subject to being upgraded, which is not something you usually want when you have hacked your unit.
    Step one: search button!
    Silly Wabbit, guides are for kids

Thanks, that explains a lot.

Any links to where I can download and get instructions for fixsub? Searching yields 272 threads. I'm on page 9 and I still haven't found it.

Ah ha, found this:

To Install:
    -----------

Extract the files

type rmrw to remount root readwrite

send the files to the TiVo in your favorite way.

All files MUST go in /

Once the files are over chmod +x 31fixsub.sh

Then ./31fixsub.sh

Once it is done you can rm the files you copied over

finally type rmro to sync and remount root readonly

type reboot

Anything else to know about beforehand?

nope, that won't do it, because it references aliases that arent setup on your unit. take a look around in the s2 forum, there are posts in there
    Step one: search button!
    Silly Wabbit, guides are for kids