Thread: rebuilding using mfs file

rebuilding using mfs file

Sorry I have a few questions

1. Do any one know how to rebuild or the command to rebuild a drive for tivo using the DSR6000 image file called dsr600.mfs I know it a MFS Tool format but everywhere I have read it should end with .bak not mfs. Do anyone know the command to use this file to build a new tivo drive?

1. Also is it better to use the mfs file or just do it from scratch and install xtreme2.5 and than upgrade it to 2.5.2?

2. How do you install the tivoftpd software, it not a rpm or pkgadd, so not sure which command I should use to install tivoftpd. It dont have a readme with the file.

3. Do you have to install TermHy so I can get a bash shell when I console into the tivo?

Thanks for all the help

The file extension is meaningless. Change the command line to use the name of your file and it will work fine. Or rename the file to .bak.

If you haven't already run Xtreme on your system, you can't just restore the 2.52 and use it. It does not take care of flashing the eprom for you like Xtreme does.
    SpongeBob is not a contraceptive - Bart S.
    A tabloid, is that one of those really strong mints? - Homer S.

I dont get it, I thought the DSR600_2.5.2 extreme was a backup for the OS so it should have the xtreme info and everythign on it right? SO it like dd the drives so why do I need to install extreme again when you need to install xtreme2.5 frist and than upgrae it to 2.5.2. So all the step should have been taken by the person who gave me teh backup? Or you taking about the bios, just like on the PC which you need to upgrae first before install the OS on it

thanks

I think you're mixing apples and oranges here. There are different files out there that have Xtreme in the title but not all of them are full-blown images of a DTivo OS. The 2.5Xtreme images are complete images of a DTivo OS at version 2.5. The 2.5.2Xtreme files are also full images of a DTivo at version 2.5.2. This is where the confusion lies because Superzap's 2.5.2 xupgrade program only contains the delta info between 2.5Xtreme and the 2.5.2 OS as well as the xPlusz utility containing all of the popular hacks.

The best course of action for getting your DTivo to version 2.5.2 is to install 2.5Xtreme and then install SZ's 2.5.2 upgrade. The 2.5.2Xtreme image is NOT the same as the 2.5Xtreme -> 2.5.2 upgrade. Attached is a tutorial I wrote up that will put you on the right track.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!