Thread: Dumb question...

Dumb question...

I have xPlusz 3.1 installed.

These are the options that I set through the xPlusz interface (Call waiting prefix)
    EBD
    NOPPV
    TIVOTITLE
    ADDLOCS
    NOPHONE
    CALLER ID
    TELNET
    TIVOWEB
    TIVOFTPD
    NOSCRAMBLE
    NOSDD

Question1
    Should I plug my phone line back in? Will this allow code updates that will overwrite my newly installed xPlusz? How does DTivo send updates?

Question2:
    When I execute a #0#12 command, the following options say that they are not set:
    NOPPV
    TIVOTITLE
    NOSDD

but when I go to set them again, they say that they are already set. How can I verify that they are on?

Thanks for any help that you can give!!
    SAT-T60 Hacked

just check to see if they are working. If you dont really understand what they are supposed to do you really shouldnt be running them. TOO many people cause prblems by playing with the hacks they know nothing about.
    tivotitle;are the title descriptions more detailed NOPPV;can you record PPV with no flags present...doint have a 3.1 box so I cant answer the first part, but it would depend on the location of the files being stored on the HD, ie which directories are written to or overwritten in 3.1 version.

Originally posted by GREEK
    just check to see if they are working. If you dont really understand what they are supposed to do you really shouldnt be running them. TOO many people cause prblems by playing with the hacks they know nothing about.
    tivotitle;are the title descriptions more detailed NOPPV;can you record PPV with no flags present...doint have a 3.1 box so I cant answer the first part, but it would depend on the location of the files being stored on the HD, ie which directories are written to or overwritten in 3.1 version.
    GREEK
    I'm not really interested in your opinion. If you know how to answer my very specific questions, then do so. If not, then don't.
    SAT-T60 Hacked

With an attitude like that you'll be lucky anybody gives you the time of day, much less any help.

Dennis

Right...

I haven't got a straight answer yet. You guys love to talk in riddles and point to threads that I've already looked at. If you're truely trying to help, then just answer the specific question. That way, when someone does a search, they might find an answer instead of a long trail of references to some very general article...
    SAT-T60 Hacked

Re: Right...

Originally posted by dpmTivo123
    I haven't got a straight answer yet.
    ... and there's a good chance you won't

Maybe you should try being nice to the people you want help from.

Question 1: You do not need to plug your phone line back in if you've set up the nophone option. DTivos get software updates via the phone and guide info via the satellite.

Question 2: Did you reboot your DTivo after setting up any of the commands? Some of them don't take affect until you've booted up. Reboot and check them again.

Word of advice: When you ask for help, try to be a little more thick-skinned about the replies you receive. If you don't like the answer then just ignore it. Everyone here is free to express their opinion, including yourself, as long as they don't get too far off-topic or start flaming others excessively. In other words, learn to lighten up. You'll quickly find that many of us are more than willing to help. There's a lot of info to sort through here and the last thing you want to do is start alienating any of the senior members. Follow the tips I've included in my signature below and you'll be able to find the answers to most questions on your own. If you get stuck on something then ask for help. That's what we're here for.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

You're right

Shouldn't have been so aggresive with my response... The comment

TOO many people cause prblems by playing with the hacks they know nothing about.

was a little tough, and I had a knee-**** reaction.

I'm sure that you're doing your best to reply to the many posts that people make per day. I think that all noobs are grateful that you still find the interest to moderate the board and help others. I have however taken your advice and read through the howtos and other stickys. Alot of them were posted quite a while ago and some of the info has been out dated due to the new revisions of hacks. Therefore, it's sometimes difficult to extract what is still correct.

I'm pretty much up and running with 3.1 (telnet, ftp, http, serial...) so I shouldn't have to bother with many more posts. I will try to document my own experience and lessons learned, and post it to the long list of how tos.

I appreciate your direct answers to my questions, and in reply:

Q1) But can I keep the phone line plugged in without doing any harm, because I'd like to take advantage of callerid

Q2) I have re-booted many times. When performing a #0#12, where is xPlusz fetching the status? File(s) somewhere?
    SAT-T60 Hacked

I'm not sure if you can use caller ID with the nophone hack. That's a fairly old topic so you might have to search around for the answer. You can easily check to see if noppv and tivititle are up and running. With tivotitle, you'll see the episode name appear in the Now Showing list next to the show title. If noppv is working, you should be able to schedule a ppv event just like any other recording. Otherwise, you'll get the message to check purchase info and such.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

Actually..after reading Greek's first repsonse, I had the same *impression*
    as did the original poster.

So, being *nice* and *thick-skinned goes two ways guys.

Also, I was under the impression that NOW all updates came via the satellite stream and no longer thru the phone line.. Correct??

Originally posted by emutt
    Actually..after reading Greek's first repsonse, I had the same *impression*
    as did the original poster.

So, being *nice* and *thick-skinned goes two ways guys.

Also, I was under the impression that NOW all updates came via the satellite stream and no longer thru the phone line.. Correct??
    no, thats not correct. most updates come via phone. however, some have come down via satellite
    Step one: search button!
    Silly Wabbit, guides are for kids

Thanks for that info Mr. Black....I now have two versions of where the updates come from

So, I am wondering if we REALLY need to have nosdd running. Seems to me there has to be a way to detect when the UPDATE has been sent down then deal with it. But, that is beyond my scope of experience with that part of the process.

May have to get the *tinker* hat on and snoop into that. I miss gettin the Showcases & TiVoMag ;~(

thanks again for the response...I'll leaf my nosdd running then.

Just to clarify

Question2:
    When I execute a #0#12 command, the following options say that they are not set:
    NOPPV
    TIVOTITLE
    NOSDD

but when I go to set them again, they say that they are already set. How can I verify that they are on?

When I made that response I was not trying to be a wise ass. I just read it as kind of silly at that point. I took it as not knowing what they do because common sense tells me to look at sys info for the latest download time on NOSDD, try to schedule an advanced recording for the flag on NOPPV and look to now showing for the show description of TIVOTITLE. When he asked how can I verify?, it was apparent to there was an unknown here, to me at least. We all interpret things differently, No harm done or defense taken, and I apologize if my remark was taken harshly. I just wanted to point out the overwhelming problems I see with new guys running xplusz hacks like crazy, especially when they know not what they do. There really isnt a detailed explination of all of them around, its bits and peices. I/We were all newbies once, and I still dont know **** about linux other than basics. I can remember trying almost every command when I first got going, I hope others dont have to reimage their first tivo 846 times (not exact) like i did.

And Mr. Black is giving 2 responses, they are both right. Correct me if I'm wrong, but all major software packages come in over phone, and all the little stuff like the commercial stuff in showcases and mags on the now showing page with a yellow star and the likes of it come in over the dish with the guide info. Thats the speration of the two, plus if your like me and get home from work in the laaate night, the 2am download is annoying, even with it on the other tuner, its bothersome for me. I never checked to see if that commercial stuff stopped after no SDD was activated though...........

Greek:

I deal with linux all the time so I have no problems on THAT side of things

Now.. if the software updates come via the phone line and I dont keep the line connected, I should not have any probs with unwanted updates.

Then, I can still get the showcases/tivomag via the stream.

I'll give that a test....have NOSDD running now and initiated SZ's SCsz.tcl file to see if that gets the things started again. Will have ta wait a few days me thinx.

Yes, with not much documentation on how all these work *exactly* it's a bit of a mystery. Spent many hours scanning the threads. So much info and much of it contradictatory...ain't that the way of it