Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hard Drive vendors and specs

Question Hard Drive vendors and specs

I bought another Sony T-60 and would like to upgrade with (2) 120 GB drives.

I did this before back in January on another Sony T-60. I used a Samsung 120 GB / 5400. Not sure the exact model. I think it has the three year warranty and is very quiet.

These drives are getting harder to find and two vendors told me Samsung has just discontinued that particular model.

I remember reading something about 7200 vs 5400 and heat buildup

Can someone recommend a good 120 GB drive that is quiet, reliable and doesn't run as hot as others. What's the cheapest place online to obtain.

Thanks

pricewatch.com get a 5400

Re: Hard Drive vendors and specs

Originally posted by prhi
    I bought another Sony T-60 and would like to upgrade with (2) 120 GB drives.

I did this before back in January on another Sony T-60. I used a Samsung 120 GB / 5400. Not sure the exact model. I think it has the three year warranty and is very quiet.

These drives are getting harder to find and two vendors told me Samsung has just discontinued that particular model.

I remember reading something about 7200 vs 5400 and heat buildup

Can someone recommend a good 120 GB drive that is quiet, reliable and doesn't run as hot as others. What's the cheapest place online to obtain.

Thanks
    my seagate 7.7200 w/ 8meg cache is VERY quite... running in my T-60 .
    ~Hi8

(4) Hughes SD DVR40
    (1) Hughes HR10-250
    (2) xbmc XBOX X2 & xbit

I did some extensive research on this subject and this is what I decided to get:

Seagate Barrucuda ST3120024A. It's got Fluid Dynamic Bearings and is quieter, runs cooler and shouldn't make more noise as it gets older. There is no medal on medal since the bearings are liquid instead of metal or ceramic.

CAUTION: DO NOT ATTEMPT TO ORDER THIS DRIVE FROM TIGERDIRECT.COM!!! I ordered it from there cause they had the best price at the time. After ordering the drive I called them on the phone to make sure I would get the correct drive. They read me the drive model and STILL sent the wrong drive! I called the and told them the story and they assured me the second drive would be correct. Nope, WRONG DRIVE AGAIN!

I had my doubts about ordering from them going into the deal, and now I will never order or recommend them to anybody. There customer support sucks toO. I had two seperate people tell me I was wrong and that I had the correct drive when I was standing there holding the drive in my hand looking at the model number.

I've placed an order with Googlegear.com for the drive. $113 and two day shipping was free. I've had good luck with them in the past, so hopefully they will come through for me again.

Those that have this drive have not seen any rise in temps even though it's turning at 7200 RPMs. I would be able to give you temps, but I have yet to receive the drive. I did put in a Western Digital 80GB drive with regular bearings and haven't seen an increase of more than 1 degree and it's 7200 RPMs with regular bearings, so that should give you some idea of what to expect.

The '24A works great in your TiVo. You will like it. I have 2 of those running here. I don't think you will notice any appreciable rise in temp. Especially with just one drive. I think they run cooler than other 7200s because of the fluid bearings, ie. less friction=less heat.
    If a goldfish should want a vacation, who would know?

Thumbs up Finally got the right hard drive...

After two failed attempts to get the correct hard drive from TigerDirect, I sent them both back and ordered it from Googlegear.com. I got the correct drive from them the first time.

In other words:

TigerDirect = BAD

GoogleGear = GOOD

This has been a public service announcement.

Thumbs up

Checked out Google...very nice...

Saw the HD you spoke of (is now $103.00 with free 2nd day shipping) cool..

I think the 160 Gb drive is killer....for $33, it's like getting a 40Gb HD...(stock tivo storage) best price around...

Thanks for the research...

PCDubay
    8 GXCEBOT's w/2.5.2
    running great
    1 needs help
    1 series 2..haven't dared yet

Just got my drive from Googlegear yesterday, good prices and service, 'specially since it turned out to be next day service since I was so close.

Talking

Everyone,

Thanks for all your advice and comments on the drives.

I found the Samsung 120 GB 5400 RPM's at Compbus.com for $88 each and placed an order online.

I received a phone call from them to confirm my internet shipment and the drives arrived within days. Great Service.

Installed both drives last night and now have 220 hours. Now I need to get various hacks installed and working.

Thanks.

Do you guys find this Barracuda V drive much quieter? It doesn't seem that much different from the maxtor it replaced. I know at idle it's a pretty silent drive, but as far read/writing, which is all a tivo does, it seems just as noisy to me.

Best Buy are having a sale on the Seagate 120G. After mail in rebate it's only 79$

I posted this in another thread by accident...thought I'd move it here where it's more appropriate.

While we're talking about HDs....

(1) What's the largest HD you can use on a series1 and series2 (120? 160?)? Does it matter what series?

(2) In your opinions, is one large (120 or 160) HD better than two?

(3) What is the best HD available...I'm looking for a quiet HD since my entertainment center is "open". My series1 I have now has 2 drives (the 40GB that came with it and a Maxtor 120GB) and it is pretty loud.

Thanks for any info...

BBQ

PS I'm checking BestBuy right now on the Seagate...
    Should I throw something on the grill
    for ya?

Bah, I got boned getting that Barracuda V everyone says is quiet. No way in heck is that drive quiet. Quiet in idle, sure, but its the same if not louder than the 5400 Maxtor it replaced. Finally went looking for info in Google Groups, finding the same comments. The Barracuda IV is quiet because it has accoustical management, I know this first hand because I've got a IV in my silent server box. *sigh* oh well, at least it's a little speedier now, but I was buying for quietness.

2.5.2 upgrade problems...

wrong place, please remove
    Last edited by Slowride; 10-22-2003 at 01:14 AM.

Originally posted by Bitgod
    Bah, I got boned getting that Barracuda V everyone says is quiet. No way in heck is that drive quiet. Quiet in idle, sure, but its the same if not louder than the 5400 Maxtor it replaced. Finally went looking for info in Google Groups, finding the same comments. The Barracuda IV is quiet because it has accoustical management, I know this first hand because I've got a IV in my silent server box. *sigh* oh well, at least it's a little speedier now, but I was buying for quietness.
    Ah, I bought the same drive, I think it's much noisier than my old Maxtor on seek. It makes alot of 'clicky' noises constantly. Grrr.