Thread: Problem finishing dish guided setup with new 3 lnb dish

Problem finishing dish guided setup with new 3 lnb dish

I just replaced my 2 lnb dish with new 3 lnb dish and am now having trouble with the dish guided setup. The signal strength screen shows that there is a strong singal (%90) from all three birds, but when it switches to the next screen where it tries to detect the multiswitch and the two inputs to the Tivo, the system locks up at %28.

I have reverified the signal strength, all connections, and basic setup. If I pull the power and reconnect, the Tivo acquires the satellite information and works fine, It even shows the test channels for the 110 sat. But if I try to re-run the guided setup it locks again at the same %28 detecting the multiswitch.

Any help is appreciated,

Thanks

This is a DTV issue and has nothing to do with the DTivo other than DTivos are apparently the only receivers affected by it. There are several threads discussing this topic. It sounds like you've already discovered the workaround for it.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

I had a similiar problem that was traced back to a cheap 8 way multiswitch that was creating havoc with my recievers. I sprung for a Terk 8-way switch and it worked great. The cheap switch was supposed to be for the 3 lbn dish and aux.input but it just wasn't cutting the mustard. If you have an additional switch besides the one on the dish it would be worth it to give it a check.

Thanks for the info, the only switch I am using is the one integrated into the dish (which is a Terk). As said above, I am going to call this one a DTV issue and consider it resolved. The channels work even though it doesn't finish the setup.

Thanks again

Same here...must be hardware

Had the same issue this weekend myself buut no internet access to research it. Same resolution as well.. Power off and just don't do the guided setup. I think it must be the 4x4 switch with the addon sat/c sat/b diplexer that causes this, anyone get the same thing with a 5x4 switch? i.e one that has a separate sat c input?

And how are you liking the chinese channels by the way? They have some cool movies on there, some with english subtitles even.

This problem has been going on for some time. If you need to run the guided setup to update your dish configuration go ahead and do it, and when you are at the signal strength screen, disconnect both tuners and go to the next step. The test will obviously fail, so just choose the option that says you'll fix it later and that will take you out of the guided setup. You can now reconnect the tuners.
    HDVR2 running 6.2 on a dying WD 120GB with an expired warranty. Trying to get Barracuda to play nice.

Thanks mine

On the upside, thanks to this forum, my dtivo has been more stable than anything else own ! i haven't even logged on to this forum in at least 6 months until yesterday or so.

How long does it take to error out. I can leave it go for hours and all it says is "Please Wait". I can never get to the fixit later screen. This is whether the sat plug is plugged in or not. This is getting frustrating. I'm missing all my seinfeld collection holes. I have to unplug it and it brings me right back to the sat guide setup. The only reason I started it in the first place was to see the direction the dish is aimed because I'm moving to an apartment and I want to set it up there.

arrgh

Krokus
    Last edited by Krokus; 09-03-2003 at 05:03 PM.

Originally posted by Krokus
    How long does it take to error out. I can leave it go for hours and all it says is "Please Wait". I can never get to the fixit later screen. This is whether the sat plug is plugged in or not. This is getting frustrating. I'm missing all my seinfeld collection holes. I have to unplug it and it brings me right back to the sat guide setup. The only reason I started it in the first place was to see the direction the dish is aimed because I'm moving to an apartment and I want to set it up there.

arrgh

Krokus
    I am having the exact problem right now. Its been on "Please Wait" for more than 12 hours. How do I get past this?

For series 1 DTivos it shouldn't take but about 5 minutes to time out. I believe I saw this happen one time on my series 2 DTivo where it seemed to hang on the acquisition screen forever. I just rebooted and it worked fine after that. It acquired the satellite info at the end of the boot sequence like it normally should. The settings made during dish setup were retained so I didn't need to repeat it.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

Same *exact* thing happened to me. Totally annoying. As stupid as this sounds...here is what I did to fix it...

I reversed the coax cables going into my DSR7000. Yes, that is silly and dumb but it worked. I switched input 1 & 2 and it rocketed past 28%. I haven't had a glitch since. Give it a try...the most you have to lost is a few skin cells on your thumbs (I hate coax).

Originally posted by amgqmp1
    Same *exact* thing happened to me. Totally annoying. As stupid as this sounds...here is what I did to fix it...

I reversed the coax cables going into my DSR7000. Yes, that is silly and dumb but it worked. I switched input 1 & 2 and it rocketed past 28%. I haven't had a glitch since. Give it a try...the most you have to lost is a few skin cells on your thumbs (I hate coax).
    Well I just fixed it by unplugging the coax cables and powering on the unit. I then plugged them back in when it showed 0%. It then went all the way in. Thanks for all your help guys.