Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hacking the TiVo Book

Re: DMCA vs. Authors

Originally posted by Mighty LoPan
    Nice review, mrblack51. I just picked up a copy of Jeff's book, and I think I'll get this one as well because of the monte section. Actually, I'm a close friend of Jeff's in the real world, and I can tell you that he tried like hell to get the monte hack into the book. At one time, I believe it was going to be included, but his publisher got a bit scared due to legality issues with some Xbox hacking book (which I think got cancelled altogether). So, instead of risking anything like that, they simply omitted the info, but Jeff does still mention its existence, and hopefully enough info for people to find it on their own.

On a related topic, there was also a struggle to include video extraction, which he did manage to put in.
    Don't get me wrong, I understand the legal issues that this sort of stuff can cause. Andrew Huang, author of Hacking the Xbox, ended up publishing his book himself, since the company that agreed to do it initially bailed out. These sorts of situations are clear evidence that the DMCA is problematic for legitimate use. I haven't had the chance to read Keegan's book, but I hope to get the chance soon.
    Step one: search button!
    Silly Wabbit, guides are for kids

Hacking the TiVo, 2nd Edition

Just a note. I just recieved Bill von Hagen's Hacking the TiVo, 2nd edition of his book for review. I did a quick scan of it last night and have to say I was impressed. It looks like he has done an EXCELLENT job on the update.

I am in the process of reading it now and will post a more detailed review in a couple of days.

PS: Looks like the book is available on amazon at:
    Four Hacked HDVR2's,
    One Still slightly confused Hacker,
    4 dogs, 8 cats, and 1 wife that is happy as long as I don't screw up her TiVo ...... Oh yeah two grandchildren that are the light of my life!

Note: I originally reviewed the first edition (see here. this review is of the second edition.

Title: Hacking the TiVo (2nd Ed)
    Author: William von Hagen
    Publisher: Thomson Course Technology

Rating: Newbies - 9/10, Intermediate - 7/10

Since this book is just the second edition, i recommend you read my previous review for a general overview of the book. The most notable addition to the book is chapter 12, which is entirely devoted to extraction and related topics. All the hacks included in the book utilize the latest stable information available at the time of writing(such as the use of NoCSO rather than the old kmem methods, two-kernel monte, etc). Also included is a helpful section on broken units and possible resolutions.

Also, some good updates have been made throughout. The model descriptions at the beginning were updated to include all the current models. Another good update included the revamping of the resources section, with better information regarding the various tivo hacking websites out there. Its also nice to see that the author took care to credit people appropriately whenever possible - a welcome change to what has seemingly become the norm of taking others work and not crediting them.

Overall, this book is a great update to the original. It keeps the same great style of teaching the user in general, rather than telling them to push buttons. The writing is clear and understandable, and should be a great text for the aspiring tivo hacker, or just someone who wants a lot of the information from the forums in one place. The author also has set up a website to provide updates and addendums: http://www.vonhagen.org/tivo
    Step one: search button!
    Silly Wabbit, guides are for kids

I have the Original

And just bought the second edition as well. I find it very useful when reading info on the forums and referencing back to the Book itself. Now if he would only get a DTivo... hint hint.

Quote Originally Posted by tivomaster
    Just a note. I just recieved Bill von Hagen's Hacking the TiVo, 2nd edition of his book for review. I did a quick scan of it last night and have to say I was impressed. It looks like he has done an EXCELLENT job on the update.

I am in the process of reading it now and will post a more detailed review in a couple of days.

PS: Looks like the book is available on amazon at:

any review of the book yet?

it's a decent book, well worth reading

I know, I have the book and am reading it, I read that I can use the CD that was provided when upgrading the drive, is this true?
    actually what is on the CD anyway? is it useful in any hacks that can be done on a DTivo? thanks

Where did it go?

Quote Originally Posted by bnm81002
    any review of the book yet?
    I know I wrote a review of the book and posted it here but for the life of me I can't find it...

Short version.... Good book both for newbies trying to get up to speed and learn how things work and a good reference book for seasoned hackers...
    Four Hacked HDVR2's,
    One Still slightly confused Hacker,
    4 dogs, 8 cats, and 1 wife that is happy as long as I don't screw up her TiVo ...... Oh yeah two grandchildren that are the light of my life!

Quote Originally Posted by tivomaster
    I know I wrote a review of the book and posted it here but for the life of me I can't find it...

Short version.... Good book both for newbies trying to get up to speed and learn how things work and a good reference book for seasoned hackers...

what about the CD? is it useful for any of the hacks? drive upgrade? thanks