Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: MIPS Tivo cross compiler on cygwin

For you guys that can't get it to work. Open up the script and find this line below. Edit Accordingly. I don't have my c drive mounted in cygwin so i just deleted the /cygdrive/c/progra~1/ portion of path. I just created a folder named TivoGcc in cygwin folder and ran the script from there.

export PREFIX=/cygdrive/c/progra~1/TivoGcc

Quote Originally Posted by vu2vu
    For you guys that can't get it to work. Open up the script and find this line below. Edit Accordingly. I don't have my c drive mounted in cygwin so i just deleted the /cygdrive/c/progra~1/ portion of path. I just created a folder named TivoGcc in cygwin folder and ran the script from there.

export PREFIX=/cygdrive/c/progra~1/TivoGcc
    Just so you know, you don't have to mount your c drive in Cygwin to use the script. It's already there. You can check it by typing in bash: cd /cygdrive/c/windows and you'll be there.

That said, yeah, I've edited the prefix to reflect where I want it and am almost through with the gcc build. My problems are related to the permissions and group handling with windows 98.

Do you have it running on Win98? If not, what version?

NutKase
    Last edited by NutKase; 09-03-2005 at 01:00 PM. Reason: speling :)
    "God, and DealDataBase, help those that help themselves." --Shamelessly stolen from psxboy
    ------------------------------------------------
    2 each, SA S2 287hr 7.2.1a's with Lifetime.
    Hacks: 1 Manually Monte'd -140, Bash,Telnet,FTP,TivoWebPlus,
    Superpatch-67all Unscrambled/HMO,MFS_FTP Ver. N,TyTools, tivoserver
    Fully hacked SA S1

NutKase,

Yup, you were right. I didn't think it was mounted because for some reason when I do a ls -la from / it doesn't show up. But if you still need it drop me a line. I can send it to ya.

I installed it on xp to answer your 2nd question.

Quote Originally Posted by NutKase
    Just so you know, you don't have to mount your c drive in Cygwin to use the script. It's already there. You can check it by typing in bash: cd /cydrive/c/windows and you'll be there.

That said, yeah, I've edited the prefix to reflect where I want it and am almost through with the gcc build. My problems are related to the permissions and group handling with windows 98.

Do you have it running on Win98? If not, what version?

NutKase

NutKase,

Yup, you were right. I didn't think it was mounted because for some reason when I do a ls -la from / it doesn't show up. But if you still need it drop me a line. I can send it to ya.

I installed it on xp to answer your 2nd question.
    Need what? You didn't have these issues because you're on xp.

NutKase
    "God, and DealDataBase, help those that help themselves." --Shamelessly stolen from psxboy
    Fully hacked SA S1

If you need a copy of my TivoGCC. Ill just zip it up and send it over. You might still have problems compiling tivo apps, but it is still gotod for dissasembly.

Quote Originally Posted by NutKase
    Need what? You didn't have these issues because you're on xp.

NutKase

If you need a copy of my TivoGCC. Ill just zip it up and send it over. You might still have problems compiling tivo apps, but it is still gotod for dissasembly.
    No thanks, I have to build it to compile since that's what I'm interested in.

Heck, I'm about to just use my 6yr old's XP machine but I hate it (too pretty) and my tools aren't written for it. I hate to say it but some are even DOS .

NutKase
    Fully hacked SA S1

I got though the -lc (libc.a) and 2 other 'can't find file' errors by manually placing them where it was looking. So I think I'm almost finished or completely hosed...

---------------------------
    checking whether the C compiler ( /cygdrive/c/tcc/build-gcc/gcc/xgcc -B/cygdrive/c/tcc/build-gcc/gcc/ -B/cygdrive/c/tcc/mips-TiVo-linux/bin/ -B/cygdrive/c/tcc/mips-TiVo-linux/lib/ -isystem /cygdrive/c/tcc/mips-TiVo-linux/include -O2 -g ) works... no
    configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler cannot create executables.
    make: *** [configure-target-libiberty] Error 1
    **** gcc build failed

Anyone with a good build's log want to let me know post what a successful line here looks like? It comes soon after this...
    rm -f g++-cross.exe
    cp g++.exe g++-cross.exe

NutKase
    Fully hacked SA S1

Compile built...

I finally (thanks to this thread). Got the cygwin environment compiler built with no errors.

I know this is not a n00b thread but can someone point me at a good location to start looking at how to use this compiler. I would like to compile a simple hello world program to see if it works. Then on to bigger better things...

Update... Figured out how to get the gnu hello program to compile but everytime I do it creates a Intel X86 platform executable. How do I tell it to do a mips instead?

Update Update....Figured out that I need to do a ./configure --host=mips-TiVo-linux but it still creates X86 code... I am missing something here. I put the source in the c:\program files\tivogcc\hello directory.. I know this is gotta be a n00b question. Do I need to take this there?
    Last edited by tivomaster; 01-13-2004 at 09:54 AM.
    Four Hacked HDVR2's,
    One Still slightly confused Hacker,
    4 dogs, 8 cats, and 1 wife that is happy as long as I don't screw up her TiVo ...... Oh yeah two grandchildren that are the light of my life!

Compile figured out...

I figured out you have to set the PATH for this to work..
    ie
    export PATH=/cygdrive/c/progra~1/TivoGcc/bin:${PATH}

Now it compiles fine. I have a question on strip though. Strip has a bunch of options for supported targets.

strip: supported targets: elf32-tradbigmips elf32-tradlittlemips ecoff-bigmips ecoff-littlemips elf32-ntradbigmips elf64-tradbigmips elf32-ntradlittlemips elf64-tradlittlemips elf64-little elf64-big elf32-little elf32-big srec symbolsrecte
    khex binary ihex

Is there a "normal" that I should use or is the default (strip filename) good enough.
    Four Hacked HDVR2's,
    One Still slightly confused Hacker,
    4 dogs, 8 cats, and 1 wife that is happy as long as I don't screw up her TiVo ...... Oh yeah two grandchildren that are the light of my life!

I have modified the script so that it should work on both Cygwin and Mac OS X. It now takes an argument of where to put the output, e.g.:
    Code:
    ./build_tivo_x_compiler_cygwin.sh /cygdrive/c/progra~1/TivoGcc
    For it to work under Mac OS X, you first need to install GNU versions of several packages using either Fink or DarwinPorts, including wget, tar, sed, gettext (always installed with Fink), fileutils, findutils, and dlcompat.

finally! man, didn't expect getting x-compiler to work would be that stinkin tough!!! Just to hopefully make things easier for the next victum, here's what I remember needing to change/do:

- full install of cygwin
    - used the script from post #12 in this thread.
    - downloaded the insight and gdb 6.0 from http://public.planetmirror.com/pub/gdb/old-releases/ since they are up to newer versions that didn't seem to work.
    - edited tclWin32dll.c and tkWinX.c to add #define __INSIDE_CYGWIN__ to the top and fix some errors, (found this out here)
    - when build, need to use /cygdrive/c/progra~1/TivoGcc/bin/gcc to build for tivo, otherwise get the .exe

I think there had to be something else that I had to do, it took 3+ days to get it working. could not have been that easy looking back! I guess figuring out which ver would even download much less build!

Anyway, got the tiny "Hello Tivo" test from here to compile and run on the tivo via telnet.

Thanks to all that posted their experiances, there were many threads I read on a few sites. was reasuring I was not the only one who thought they had a pretty good programming background made to feal beyond dumb from this crap.

now time to write some stuff!

sorry to drag up an old thread - and maybe this q belongs in newbies but...

trying to get the cross compiler working on cygwin
    followed this thread and used the latest .sh from a couple of posts above

everything goes well until near the end when i get:

checking target system type... mips-TiVo-linux-gnu
    checking build system type... i686-pc-cygwin
    checking for a BSD compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c
    cc: not found
    *** The command 'cc -o conftest -g conftest.c' failed.
    *** You must set the enviroment variable CC to a working compiler.
    ./build_tivo_x_compiler_cygwin.sh: line 88: make: command not found

Any pointers would be much appreciated. Just want to run objdump on tivoapp from 4.01b and 7

cheers
    David

not entirely sure, but I think that is because you did not choose the developement package to be installed with cygwin. I don't think it is by default. I just said install all parts. when installing cygwin, make sure anything to do with compiling, building, developement, etc. is set to install, not default.

now got it going but when i try to run dumpobj on a tivo file i get a 'can't disassemble for architecture UNKNOWN!'

i assume somewhere i've got a path or a configure wrong??

cheer

Quote Originally Posted by davidblack
    now got it going but when i try to run dumpobj on a tivo file i get a 'can't disassemble for architecture UNKNOWN!'
    That means the objdump binary you're running doesn't support the architecture of the binary you're trying to disassemble.

Either you're running a stock x86 objdump, or you didn't supply the correct switches when you ran "configure" for binutils. By default the target arch is the same as the host arch. By adding the appropriate switches you can make it support any architectures you want.