Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: MIPS Tivo cross compiler on cygwin

Quote Originally Posted by jeffdoering
    I'm afraid I really don't know why this isn't working in your environment, but I'd check your configure scripts, etc and see if things seem similar to what I'm describing...
    Looking around now.

Can you post or pm me a copy of your intallation 'ouput.log'?

If you've don't have one I understand, but it sure would help. You wouldn't want to reinstall in an alternate location just for me to get a working output.log would you ?

Also, what site did you choose for the packages? I've noticed, in my many installs, that the packages downloaded varies (even if installing ALL) with where you get them.

NutKase
    "God, and DealDataBase, help those that help themselves." --Shamelessly stolen from psxboy
    ------------------------------------------------
    2 each, SA S2 287hr 7.2.1a's with Lifetime.
    Hacks: 1 Manually Monte'd -140, Bash,Telnet,FTP,TivoWebPlus,
    Superpatch-67all Unscrambled/HMO,MFS_FTP Ver. N,TyTools, tivoserver
    Fully hacked SA S1

Ok, a complete Cygwin reinstall and recompile. Back to my first error:

make[1]: Entering directory `/build-binutils/etc'
    make[1]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/build-binutils/etc'
    Configuring in gas
    configure: error: invalid feature name: shared
    make: *** [configure-gas] Error 1
    **** binutils compile failed

There is nothing in my /gas directory. Also, I get this output all the time but the compile goes on. Is this right or a problem?

checking if libtool supports shared libraries... yes
    checking if package supports dlls... no
    checking whether to build shared libraries... no
    checking whether to build static libraries... yes

Hope this helps since I obviously need some

NutKase
    "God, and DealDataBase, help those that help themselves." --Shamelessly stolen from psxboy
    Fully hacked SA S1

no more two-step installs...merry xmas & happy new year

edit: btw, make sure you have all the appropriate stuff needed for this to compile. a good idea might be to just install everything in the dev area of the cygwin installer
    Last edited by mrblack51; 12-26-2003 at 06:31 PM.
    Step one: search button!
    Silly Wabbit, guides are for kids

Update - Installing Cygwin in 10 Easy Steps

The Situation:
    Win98se, Cygwin, NutKase, and the various versions of the script in this thread.

The Results:
    You can read the thread but here's what it doesn't say...

1. Spend the better part of 9 days when you're off work, 2-3 at a time, then wait a month or two, then do it again.

2. Read code, compiler output, and ./configure and other scripts until your eyes bleed and your back hurts.

3. Get mad when everyone who tries it but you has only minimal problems.

4. Get very frustrated after 10-15 failed attempts to build your cross compiler yesterday and today BUT don't whine to the board about how you just can't get it

5. Cut and paste the /gas and /libiberty build trees all over the place in case you can prevent this 'shared' error you're reading so much about in your 'failed attempt' output logs.

6. Learn a lot about how 'make' and './configure' scripts set up the build environment.

7. Finally on the third day of this third marathon attempt at getting your cross compiler working, decide to DELETE the '--enable-shared' option from the build_tivo_x_compiler_cygwin.sh script.

8. Almost cry like you've just had a baby when the compile gets past the usual failures when building /libiberty and /gas.

9. Come online just to tell someone of your small success even though the compile will probably fail in a second on some other obscure item.

10. Expect to be told that you'll never have a proper cross compiler and won't ever be able to compile anything to help you or the community unless you recompile everything all over again with --enable-shared ENABLED .

NutKase
    Last edited by NutKase; 12-27-2003 at 11:42 AM.
    Fully hacked SA S1

Fails compiling gcc: cc1 not found

gcc: installation problem, cannot exec `cc1': No such file or directory
    *** The command '/bin/gcc.exe -o conftest -g conftest.c' failed.
    *** You must set the environment variable CC to a working compiler.

Also, I get this error starting $bash now:

lstat(/usr) failed...
    /usr: No such file or directory

Why does the install script DELETE /usr?

NutKase
    Fully hacked SA S1

Quote Originally Posted by NutKase
    Also, I get this error starting $bash now:

lstat(/usr) failed...
    /usr: No such file or directory

Why does the install script DELETE /usr?
    Did you run it from the root directory as a user with root permissions? Don't do that. This command

rm -r usr

was supposed to clean up stuff extracted from usr.local.mips-tivo.tar.bz2. You will have to reinstall Cygwin now, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by tmesis
    Did you run it from the root directory as a user with root permissions? Don't do that. This command

rm -r usr

was supposed to clean up stuff extracted from usr.local.mips-tivo.tar.bz2. You will have to reinstall Cygwin now, I guess.
    Yes. I've run it from / for about 10 times and reinstalled Cyqwin each time.

I'm not sure on Cygwin how to create a user w/out root permissions so I guess some reading is in order.

Now that I have you... Where should I run it from directory wise?

Well, I just used startx to realize that Cygwin was closer to a 'real' linux install than I once figured.

I still can't remember how to creat another user but I'm going to try the install script again from the default user 'Personal Computer' which it made me during the Cygwin install since I have my windows login (98se is still unsecure and I don't login anyway.)

One thing, I don't have any idea what permissions Cygwin gave that 'user'.

So, I've moved the files to the /home/username directory and tried to put the .sh back in order. I'll let you know how it goes. Anyway, I learned some more.

NutKase
    Fully hacked SA S1

rm -r usr

WHEN, I get this working I'll try to edit the script to pull the 'user' and

rm -r /home/usename/usr
    or whatever, just to keep boneheads like me from losing their Cygwin install if they're not clever enough to realize not to install from /

NutKase
    Fully hacked SA S1

Yes. I've run it from / for about 10 times and reinstalled Cygwin each time.
    That's brutal! I always create a directory such as /tmp/build first. Probably it would be a good idea to check if the current directory is root and to stop with a big warning if it is.

On second thoughts, running install with root permissions is OK, you will need the permissions to install compiled binaries. Hope it works better now...

Thanks guys. Worked like a champ. Dissasembled couple files using objdump and the perl script developed in the forum. Being able to dissasemble and comopile programs in windows has been very useful.

That's brutal! I always create a directory such as /tmp/build first. Probably it would be a good idea to check if the current directory is root and to stop with a big warning if it is.

On second thoughts, running install with root permissions is OK, you will need the permissions to install compiled binaries. Hope it works better now...
    OK, update. Install still fails on Windows 98. I installed from a separate directory under /home/tcc I put the .sh script there, and still a no go. Somehow I believe it's Win98 related IAW with Cygwin:

Under Windows 9x, the situation is considerably different. Since a security model is not provided, Cygwin fakes file ownership by making all files look like they are owned by a default user and group id.

I DID however use the same install on XP and got the 'completed' script happy messages! So it appears that it DOES work for me on XP.

Question: What operating systems is everyone installing to? I'm trying to isolate my problems.

I was able to compile the hello.c program with the XP install but I'm not sure I was using the mips cross-compile version of gcc. I have more learning to to on what exactly the script set up and how to run it.

The XP machine is my son's and NOT where I want to compile so I'm still trying to get it up on Win98.

Anybody successful on Win98 installs?

NutKase
    Last edited by NutKase; 04-28-2005 at 09:33 PM.
    Fully hacked SA S1

I'm on XP, so I can't help you directly.

Did you ever get anywhere instrumenting the configure script to take a stab at why it fails? Since you mention that you're on Win98, again my instinct based on the section of the configure script generating the error is that maybe its a problem with environment variable space, etc. Again, I have no clue how cygwin on Win9x behaves, but I know environment spaces issues can cause weird software builds failures under some circumstances (even under XP I've had this issue with some particular 16-bit app compilation tools). I could easily be 180 degrees off-base, but the failure in configure is just so strange since "shared" is obviously a legal environment variable name...

Here's some log output.

<snip>

-nodefaultlibs -Wl,--soname=libgcc_s.so.1 -Wl,--version-script=libgcc/./libgcc.map -o libgcc_s.so.1 libgcc/./_muldi3.o

<snip>

libgcc/./unwind-dw2-fde-glibc.o libgcc/./unwind-sjlj.o libgcc/./unwind-c.o -lc && rm -f libgcc_s.so && ln -s libgcc_s.so.1 libgcc_s.so
    /cygdrive/c/tcc/mips-TiVo-linux/bin/ld: cannot find -lc
    collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
    make[2]: *** [libgcc_s.so] Error 1
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/cygdrive/c/tcc/build-gcc/gcc'
    make[1]: *** [libgcc.a] Error 2

I've overcome several errors by brute force. Got binutils compiled/built and I'm learning a lot but it's still kicking my butt.

Building gcc now. Anyone know what -lc is or from where it's being called?

I've checked the buildtivo script, the (gcc) configure, configure.in and makefile... still looking.

NutKase
    Last edited by NutKase; 01-02-2004 at 06:31 AM.
    Fully hacked SA S1

Here's some log output.

<snip>

-nodefaultlibs -Wl,--soname=libgcc_s.so.1 -Wl,--version-script=libgcc/./libgcc.map -o libgcc_s.so.1 libgcc/./_muldi3.o

<snip>

libgcc/./unwind-dw2-fde-glibc.o libgcc/./unwind-sjlj.o libgcc/./unwind-c.o -lc && rm -f libgcc_s.so && ln -s libgcc_s.so.1 libgcc_s.so
    /cygdrive/c/tcc/mips-TiVo-linux/bin/ld: cannot find -lc
    collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
    make[2]: *** [libgcc_s.so] Error 1
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/cygdrive/c/tcc/build-gcc/gcc'
    make[1]: *** [libgcc.a] Error 2

I've overcome several errors by brute force. Got binutils compiled/built and I'm learning a lot but it's still kicking my butt.

Building gcc now. Anyone know what -lc is or from where it's being called?

I've checked the buildtivo script, the (gcc) configure, configure.in and makefile... still looking.

NutKase
    LOL Windows 98 ?
    -l = lib
    c = libc
    It's looking for libc

Tux Man

Quote Originally Posted by Tux Man
    LOL Windows 98 ?
    -l = lib
    c = libc
    It's looking for libc

Tux Man
    You seem to have a habit about laughing at my OS or telling me to change it.

By libc is that libc w/no extension? Or libc.a, .so, or whatever?

NutKase

PS. It looked like a -switch/option to me.
    Fully hacked SA S1