Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Where can I find the Tuner IC's?

Wow I just saw your magnifier!!
    You would laugh if you saw what I used.
    I think you would have had an easier time if you took out the mobo, it comes out easily.
    Here was my end result.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...Untitled-7.jpg

Not bad, especially for such crude tools (heat gun esp.)

If you ever decide to do it again I would:

1. Use an X-acto and simply cut all the legs on the TQFP
    2. Use flux and solder wick to remove the legs left behind.
    3. Place part by hand and tack corners (like you did)
    4. Flux the living he!! out of it
    5. Using the smallest solder you can get (I use 0.015" dia.) load up the tip at one end of the IC and "drag" the molten solder down the line of leads adding solder to the ball on the tip as needed to keep it wet.
    6. Clean up any bridges, usually at the end of the IC

Step 5 is literally called drag soldering and works quite well for fine pitch parts, assuming you have the package placed fairly accurately. It works on the surface tension of the molten solder. Metcal even makes tips specifically for this process.

Most important thing is to remember flux is your friend. I have yet to find a situation where I had too much flux.

Don't try this at home kids, we're professionals.

Good on you Darrellm.:clap: And you're right, it's not for the faint of heart. The one I did required 2 resolderings over the next few months. I finally replaced it with another receiver and have it for parts.

I now have access to a laser microwelder that I will try if I ever have to do it again. Like Klassic, I envy you the use of that magnifier.

kazak

Geeezz mbellot, where were you 2 years ago with these soldering tips?!
    When I was heating up my iron on some red hot coal and dripping some lead with jet fighter pilot precision.

Where can I see a pic of this drag solder tip?

Quote Originally Posted by klassic
    Geeezz mbellot, where were you 2 years ago with these soldering tips?!
    When I was heating up my iron on some red hot coal and dripping some lead with jet fighter pilot precision.
    Doing SMT rework on designs I had managed to totally FUBAR. Engineers know how to use irons too (at least some of us do).

You haven't lived until you try to attach jumpers to four consecutive pins on a 0.5mm pitch flash memory part and then route them to a large FPGA because you "forgot" to put them in the original schematic.

Where can I see a pic of this drag solder tip?
    For drag solder tips (specifically for Metcal irons) scroll all the way to the bottom of this link:

http://metcal.okinternational.com/pr.../1.2.2.2.1.htm

Personally I don't use them, I just drag a normal tip, but lots of people swear by them for this kind of insanity.

Congrats.. you are in the club now too.

I just re read this thread too.. looks like I hadn't changed a tuner chip yet.
    And it looks like Kazak was just getting ready to do his.

I never cleaned the old solder off the pads. It was easier to just heat the legs and let them stick. Then I tried putting some solder on. Some got it and some didn't.
    The result is once the chip got hot some legs would let go. I resoldered it three times.
    I even had two pads come off, and had to use a micro thin piece of wire and follow the trace to the component.
    I don't think I would try it again, pretty much got lucky the first time.

Now that I don't have the unpowered multiswitch hooked up I havent lost a UTV tuner. It's been over two years.
    wow does time ever fly!

NlogN posted a link to some sweet hot air stations a long time ago, that would make the job a snap...but I think he has been banned from the internet completely now
    Wow, what an old thread...revived! This is NLogN, and no, not banned from the Internet, just from AVS...and google!

Congrats from me too, darrellm!! Great job soldering. It's not how it looks, rather how it works!! I had a local shop do the soldering, and the guy screwed it up pretty bad. Lots of traces lifted & that unit was sporatic ever since. I sent it in to CCS Corp...those guys did a great job.

Great to see you guys around. Just please stay out of trouble!!!
    Last edited by David Butt; 03-18-2006 at 01:35 PM.

Last edited by *NLogN*; 03-25-2006 at 01:31 PM.

Now that I don't have the unpowered multiswitch hooked up I havent lost a UTV tuner. It's been over two years.
    wow does time ever fly!

Hi. Tried a search for "unpowered multiswitch" and didn't find anything else--I apologize if I'm asking about a much-discussed topic.

Is there a known problem with using an unpowered multiswitch? I had both of my UTVs hooked up via a 4-way powered multiswitch at our old apartment (for about 4 years with no problems), and when we moved the DirecTV installation guy hooked them up using a 4-way unpowered switch. And about a month or so later, Tuner 1 on one of my UTVs died. Should I go out and get another powered switch ASAP before the unpowered one kills any more tuners?

Thanks in advance for any help or info anyone can provide.

Can't say it's the problem for sure....but I haven't lost a tuner since I took off my "unpowered" multiswitch. About 3 years ago.
    And I find it odd you have lost one going back to unpowered.

But I also switched from an RCA to a Sony... whether that had anything to do with it.
    I lost a tuner in two RCA's before.
    Also, I now have an unbelievable slide-out, rotating rack mount for all my gear and it has three fans in the rear. Maybe the fans are what's keeping my W60 purring....but I didn't get the rack for 2 years after ditching the multi switch.

Search the archives of AVS...there was some discussion a few years ago...although nothing was proven

Look what the cat dragged in!>>>>>>>>NLogN<<<<<

Last I heard, you were weighing yourself down with a keg at your mothers...so the hurricane wouldn't pick you up!

I guess you and Hal haven't made up yet...

hey guys,

I have an rca utv with 1 bad tuner. I also have an extra max2104 chip dated 0405. I originally got the chips to repair a few dp301's. Since it is the same chip would a properly replaced max2104 likely fix my dead tuner.

If so anyone know someone in the GTA that might fix this for me?

Thanks,

Z

Quote Originally Posted by williamn333 View Post
    Actually I used to work at Best Buy where they fix all the stuff so I know a guy that has the tools and skills to resolder one of those. He said he will replace the 2 of them for me really really cheap, so I am in luck! I hope that is the problem though!!!

Also you guys know if there is any way to test the "05"s? If not, where can I get a couple of those just in case? Thanks!

After much searching I found the "05" chip! If you look on the chip it is a MAX2104 made by Maxim. If you goto www.maximic.com and type in MAX2104 into the search it will bring it up. Scroll to the bottom and you will see something saying request samples. Click on that and fill in the information and they will mail you a FREE chip!! I did it for 2 of them and they are on their way! That takes care of the "05" chip, and I am going to order the "06" chip from Sony!! Thanks again guys for all your help!! Hopefully there is no other problem in this unit!!!
    anyone try to get a sample lately?
    "Don't ask me I dont know anything except what I read"

I'm beginning to think no one reads these threads anymore
    "Don't ask me I dont know anything except what I read"

I'm still here dan0....
    I've got an extra chip if you want it.
    Unless they start to rot after a couple years