Thread: tytool7r10

tytool7r10

Hi guys
    This may have been asked B4 but i searched a lot and could find the answer. Much like every one else I am trying to make a dvd from TIVO. I was trying to follow the instructions in tytool7r10.zip file. but wenh i make a dvd and play it on my dvd player it only shows on half the screan and no audio. the video i extract from Dtivo has a format of 480X480. Do I have to change the 480X480 to some thing else or should tytool7r10 would do that for me? I tried using the Tystudio with ty files but I get an error when I try to open any ty files and tystudio suts down. can some one please hel me figerout what i am doing wrong?

You're not doing anything wrong; your player just doesn't properly support 480x480 video on a DVD.

To change the resolution, you'd have to reencode it -- a lengthy process that just lowers the quality anyway. TyTool won't do it.

It might be simpler to get a DVD player that already supports 480x480. Most SVCD-compatible players (like my Apex 1500) should work.

Yeah, I was having a problem with 480x480 video and had used TMPGenc to transcode to 720x480

But I liked the idea in this thread; change your settings to be DVD-compatible! (Changed it long ago and I'm giving it a spin right now)

BTW, where is the documentation for TyTool kept? I wanna know what these options / commands / numbers mean. ;^)

-Andrew

Damn, looks like i'm eating my words.... even though it SHOULD be encoding at 720x480 its still using 480x480!

OK time to do some research

SVCD are ok

Hi guys
    Thanks for all the nice suggestions. I am using TMPEGnc to convert 480X480 to 720X480. but my DVD player (pioner DV434) is able to play SVCD's without any problem. I guess it is only giving me problem when I put 480X480 format on a DVD. please let me know if that sound ok.
    Thanks

OK,

Two thoughts in one post:

Thought 1.) Not all players will play 480x480 because it is not an offical format. Only 720x480 and 352x480 (and 704x480) are offical dvd, 480x480 is offical SVCD (as you know). But then you may or may not be limited to using a CD (~30mins of video) instead of a DVD; I'm not aware of how many players handle SVCD files on a DVD.

Thought 2.) As posted in that other thread, my Tivo was recording 480x480 because i never applied the new resolution. I tested it last night and it now records in either 720x480 or 352x480 depending on the quality setting. Using this, I can make DVDs or SVCDs with no transcoding.

I strongly recommend having the Tivo record in a DVD format if you plan on burning DVDs. Toddler did a great job of figuring it all out in the thread linked previously.

-Andrew

Originally posted by Davandron
    But I liked the idea in this thread; change your settings to be DVD-compatible!
    Alas, that's not an option with the DirecTivo (which the OP is using). Since it records the signal as it comes from DirecTV without reencoding, it's always 480x480, and can't be changed.

Transcoding

Hi
    Just so I am clear. There no other way around this issue. We cannot change the recording resolution on DTivo (because I have a DTivo). The only option we have is to transcoding video externally by using either TMPEGnc or some other third party software. Can some please suggest any other software other then TMPEGnc for transcoding video and audio?
    Thanks