Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ready-to-go snoopy 3.1 image

ready-to-go snoopy 3.1 image

I have re-written the instructions so that they are clearer for those experiencing problems installing it from the boot cd. It should be easy as pie now.
    I have a new Samsung (S4120R) that I will hack completely. I will be writing everything I do up in an Easy Hacking Guide for that unit once I am done similar to what I did with the T60 'unleashed' for those of you that remember. If you can assist me in this process, I am gratefull for your help. Also, my 'chat' address on MSN Messenger is "tivosnoopy at hotmail.com" for anyone wishing to exchange ideas in real-time.

Unhappy no network after...

Hey Snoopy. I noticed after I run "clear and reset everything" that my Tivo is no longer able to be reached through the nic. I can only bash into it. I did test the nic prior to cleaning up the machine but now it doesn't work. I even tried to reinstall and the same thing happened again. Any ideas? I really need to extract some shows and I'm stuck without my network working... ;(

Thanks.

PS _ I noticed that the read-only flag is set to off via xPlusz. Does that have anything to do with anything???

hmm, could be
    how would i reset it to on?
    I have a new Samsung (S4120R) that I will hack completely. I will be writing everything I do up in an Easy Hacking Guide for that unit once I am done similar to what I did with the T60 'unleashed' for those of you that remember. If you can assist me in this process, I am gratefull for your help. Also, my 'chat' address on MSN Messenger is "tivosnoopy at hotmail.com" for anyone wishing to exchange ideas in real-time.

Snoopy, I have installed this image on a SAT T60. Where can I find information on the Backdoor codes that I see listed at the end of the System Information page?

Thanks,

Bubbajoe100

backdoor codes

I need to ad a link to that. I suggest doing a search. If you find a link, I will add it to the post.

dsssatellite guy: just a thought, maybe try running xplusz commands again for ftp,etc. Not sure, maybe wiped out by the clear and reset....

ouch!

I can't believe I haven't caught on to that before. Yep, I would re-run the appropriate xpluz commands via the documentation for it.

Originally posted by dasatelliteguy
    Hey Snoopy. I noticed after I run "clear and reset everything" that my Tivo is no longer able to be reached through the nic. I can only bash into it. I did test the nic prior to cleaning up the machine but now it doesn't work. I even tried to reinstall and the same thing happened again. Any ideas? I really need to extract some shows and I'm stuck without my network working... ;(

Thanks.

PS _ I noticed that the read-only flag is set to off via xPlusz. Does that have anything to do with anything???

Quote Originally Posted by snoopy
    I can't believe I haven't caught on to that before. Yep, I would re-run the appropriate xpluz commands via the documentation for it.
    Just a note for others... (I have already made snoopy aware of this)

I needed to reinstall the NIC drivers via the NIC install cd. This cleared up all the networking issues. There is a "special way" that Xplusz loads the NIC driver and that was the issue. I have been trouble free for over 10 weeks now.

Peace

300 gig drives seen as 127g with Snoopy Install..

Snoopy,

I have tried your image and all works fine except for the large drive size.

I attempted to install the image on 2 300g maxtor drives to be installed into a Sony T60.

On the PC side:

I booted from the CD, fine then as follows:

mount /dev/hdb (my cd is primary slave) /var/log/mount

mfstool restore -x -i /var/log/mount/tivo.bak /dev/hdc /dev/hdd

my 2 drives 300 gb drives are secondary master and slave in the PC

restore ran fine and reported that the first drive was ~120mb larger than original the second derive ~290mb larger than the original. This seemed right to me.

when installed into the tivo. all works fine except the tivo does not see the entire drives and gives me only 250hours of recording capacity.

here is the info from tivowebplus info module:

Filesystem Type Size Used Avail Capacity Mounted on
    /dev/hda7 ext2 124M 34M 83M 29% /
    /dev/hda9 ext2 124M 1.8M 116M 2% /var

/dev/hda:
    multcount = 0 (off)
    I/O support = 0 (default 16-bit)
    using_dma = 1 (on)
    readahead = 8 (on)
    geometry = 16383/16/63, sectors = 268435455, start = 0
    drive state is: active/idle

Device: Maxtor 5A300J0 Supports ATA Version 7
    Drive supports S.M.A.R.T. and is enabled
    Check S.M.A.R.T. Passed

/dev/hdb:
    multcount = 0 (off)
    I/O support = 0 (default 16-bit)
    using_dma = 1 (on)
    readahead = 8 (on)
    geometry = 16383/16/63, sectors = 268435455, start = 0
    drive state is: active/idle

Device: Maxtor 5A300J0 Supports ATA Version 7
    Drive supports S.M.A.R.T. and is enabled
    Check S.M.A.R.T. Passed

here is what tivo reports on "df" for /dev/hda and /dev/hdb:

/var/hack# df /dev/hda
    Filesystem 1024-blocks Used Available Capacity Mounted on
    /dev/hda 126911 35116 85242 29%
    /var/hack# df /dev/hdb
    Filesystem 1024-blocks Used Available Capacity Mounted on
    /dev/hdb 126911 35116 85242 29%

any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any help

Fred

need to chat

it would be best to chat with me about this one.

I have been unable to get the tivo unleashed image to boot once I burn it to a CD. I have used both Nero and Roxio without luck. Any suggestions you have would be appreaciated. I have also tried downloading the file again w/o success.
    Thanks
    DawG

Quote Originally Posted by fredisdead
    Snoopy,

I have tried your image and all works fine except for the large drive size.

I attempted to install the image on 2 300g maxtor drives to be installed into a Sony T60.

On the PC side:

I booted from the CD, fine then as follows:

mount /dev/hdb (my cd is primary slave) /var/log/mount

mfstool restore -x -i /var/log/mount/tivo.bak /dev/hdc /dev/hdd

my 2 drives 300 gb drives are secondary master and slave in the PC

any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any help

Fred
    to use the full space, you need to have an lba48 kernel running when you do the mfsrestore and such, and you need to use an lba48 kernel on the tivo. i would imagine that snoopy's disk neither uses an lba48 enabled kernel, nor does it use an lba48 kernel in the image which is restored.
    Step one: search button!
    Silly Wabbit, guides are for kids

Snoopy-

Will your image automagically flash the prom? Or do we still have to do that manually?

Quote Originally Posted by snoopy
    I have re-written the instructions so that they are clearer for those experiencing problems installing it from the boot cd. It should be easy as pie now.

will your image work on the hdvr2s?

Quote Originally Posted by tivo_maniac
    will your image work on the hdvr2s?
    no. hdvr2 is an s2 dtivo. this image works for s1 dtivos only (well, s1 sa units too)
    Step one: search button!
    Silly Wabbit, guides are for kids