Thread: Locked Hard Drive

Locked Hard Drive

Looks like I have the typical "locked" TIVO hard drive. Drive reads 9MB capacity. I have read all I can find but cant unlock it. It is a Maxtor 120GB DiamondMax Plus. It locked when I restored the image from my HDR312 (30GB) that I was trying to upgrade. Tried to mount it, no luck. Tried to mfsrestore another image, no luck....sees only 9mb drive.

I have tried qunlock, Dos FDISK, Partition Magic, & AEFDISK among other utilities. No Luck!

Anyone have any ideas? Maxtor says the TIVO OS wrote to the firmware and there is no way to recover??????
    Thanks
    DawG

I am just wondering what message you got with qunlock? I have unlocked every drive with it no problems. Its hard to beleive that a drive is just locked and shut for good, I guess you feel the same way too. Did you try a search on cnetpc or google for some off the wall unlocking program possibly?

There was not an error message. It only said something to the effect that an unlock signal was sent to the drive. The procedure executed the same both times I use it. The first time it unlocked but then like a dummy, I reinstalled the image thinking it was the phone call/download that had locked it up when in fact it appears it was the image itself.
    DawG

I am having the exact same problem. From the total lack of real responses to those situations I am guessing that the knowleage simply does not exist yet out there. That means for now RMA the Maxtor or wait. I am totally pissed off but hey... I hope one day someone will find how those new maxtor work and modify qunlock so it is usable

Try setting the jumpers to cable select, if they aren't already. And did you try qunlock?
    When you're green, you grow!
    When you're ripe, you rot!

DSR6000 148Hours ver 2.52
    GXCEBOT 170 Hours ver 2.52 -MIA Sent in for repairs
    HDVR2 105 Hours ver 3.1b
    All Networked

Added a DSR7000

yes sir, i did try that with no success. Also contrary to what I am hearing I called Maxtor, told them the drive came out of a TiVo and got RMA # to exchange it - I guess I happened to talk to someone reasonable.

However that does not solve the Maxtor locking problem. I will ge a new drive allright but people will still be stuck with this until the causes are well known. I invite the gurus to let us know whats up and will be willing to ship the drive for testing in order to find a cure for this nasty Maxtor crap!

It seems like I remember someone having this problem, and they said they let it sit overnight, and it finally worked. BTW, I have used Maxtors' drives and never had this problem. You might not run into this again with the new one.
    If a goldfish should want a vacation, who would know?

I did try that, believe me. I also tried the IDE cable unplugging while ON trick and leaving it to spin overnight - nada. This one is a hard-ass and it will be going back to Maxtor. i will hate however to see another poor soul stuck with the same problem, and another one and another. I hope this is just something with MY specific drive (or my dumbness) and not a global problem.

Don't Use Qunlock Anymore

DO NOT USE QUNLOCK ANYMORE!

diskutil:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...hreadid=148629