Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problems following Cobelli's guide.

Problems following Cobelli's guide.

I have a Huges HDVR2. Before I'd EVER used it, I made a backup of the drive.

I've been following cobelli's guide from: http://hostfreedom.com/tivo

So I followed the guide. Backed up the drive with no problems.

Restored the image and did the rest of Sections 2, & 3.

I'm using a USB100TX however, when I put the drive in the tivo, and boot, the lights do not light up on the 100TX, I also obviously can't ping / telnet in.

Relevant info:

bootpage -p /dev/hdc returns "root=/dev/hda7"

therefore I used the following command to overwrite the kernel

dd if=/mnt/c/disk2/dt2_U5kernel.img of=/dev/hdc6

When the PC boots, it lists hdc14 as the last partition (one with no info), and hdc13 as the "Apple Free" partition.

Therefore I've placed the romfs.img onto hdc14

my hackinit is as follows:

#!bin/bash
    date>>/var/hack/hackinit.log
    PATH=/var/hack/bin:/sbin:/bin:/tivobin:/tvbin:.
    /bin/bash</dev/ttyS2&>/dev/ttyS2&
    insmod /lib/modules/usbcore.o
    insmod /lib/modules/hcd.o
    sleep10
    insmod /lib/modules/pegasus.o
    ifconfig eth0 192.168.2.101 broadcast 192.168.2.255 netmask 255.255.255.0
    route add default gw 192.168.2.1 metric 1
    and the /mnt/tivo/hack dir has been chmod -R 777 /mnt/tivo/hack

In case it matters, in step 34 I do:
    bootpage -P "root=/dev/hda7 BASH_ENV=`\mount\$IFS-n\$IFS/dev/hda14\$IFS/mnt;echo\$IFS/mnt/hacks\`" -C /dev/hdc

Hopefully someone can help me out here...

When I put the tivo drive back into my computer the /hack directory is gone! Help... Checked the Kernel logs. Sure enough it "rebuilt" /dev/hda9

Please help!

Try moving the sleep 10 down below the adding of the pegasus driver.

#!bin/bash
    Your first line in the hackinit file should have a slash between the "!" and "bin" as follows:

#!/bin/bash

bootpage -P "root=/dev/hda7 BASH_ENV=`\mount\$IFS-n\$IFS/dev/hda14\$IFS/mnt;echo\$IFS/mnt/hacks\`" -C /dev/hdc
    Your first single quotation mark following the BASH_ENV= statement should be after the "\" and not before it.

Typos are probably the easiest things to miss but will totally hose your hacks if you don't type everything in exactly as specified. The rest of it looks fine as I have tried the exact same setup in my DSR7000 with good results, albeit with different IP settings.
    Last edited by captain_video; 09-24-2003 at 02:51 PM.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

Thanks all for your help.

I tried following the instructions again, double checking all typing, as well as moving the sleep 10 command.

Here is a cut & paste of my hackinit:

#!/bin/bash
    insmod /lib/modules/usb-ohci.o
    sleep 10
    ifconfig eth0 192.168.2.200 broadcast 192.168.2.255 netmask 255.255.255.0
    route add default gw 192.168.2.200 netmask 0.0.0.0 metric 1
    However, when I put my tivo drive back in my PC, it turns out that the /hack directory is gone again.

How can I fix this?

As far as the bootpage command goes... I'm pretty sure I did that correctly aswell.

Thanks.

Also, I've tried (unsuccesfully) to use a serial bash cable aswell... I'd assumed that wouldn't work either since tivo is wiping and rebuilding my /var

I tried restoring "u5-151-hacked.mfs" to my tivo drive and put the drive back in the tivo.

Using a serial cable and v5.1 in WinXP I get nothing coming up.

I've tested the cable by shorting the two terminals and am able to see the echo'd characters.

So when I follow Cobelli's guide, my /var is being rebuilt for some reason.

When I restore using a pre-hacked mfs I can't get bash through the serial port.

What gives?

I should add that I'm am trying to do this all in a separate room from my satellite dish cable. As such, I'm attempting to get the bash without having the unit attached to the dish, or having a card in the machine.

Would this make a difference?

You don't need the satellite connected or a card in the slot to talk to your DTivo. The telnet, ftp, and bash prompt should all be initiated prior to watching live TV. You can bypass the signal acquisition screen by pressing the DTV/Tivo button and going straight to Tivo Central.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

Problems following Cobelli's guide

I don't believe your hackinit is correct your leaving out your environment variables this is how mine looks minus a few things. I adjusted for your ip and nic.

#!/bin/bash

#Environment variables
    TIVO_ROOT=
    MFS_DEVICE=/dev/hda10
    IGNOREEOF=1000
    export PATH TIVO_ROOT MFS_DEVICE IGNOREEOF

#Load ethernet drivers
    insmod /lib/modules/usb-ohci.o
    sleep 10

ifconfig eth0 192.168.2.200 broadcast 192.168.2.255 netmask 255.255.255.0
    routeadd default gw 192.168.2.200 netmask 0.0.0.0 metric 1

#Telnet and FTP
    tnlited 23 /bin/bash -login &
    tivoftpd

MT
    Last edited by metrotech; 09-24-2003 at 08:56 PM.

He's definitely got a valid point there. I didn't have my hackinit file in front of me at the time I replied initially and was looking at cobelli's guide. I should have seen that the environment variables were missing. I'm no Linux whiz but it's my guess that you won't get bash or anything else without exporting at least the PATH statement since it tells the OS where the necessary files are located.

Problem with TivoWeb...

Cobelli's guide has been really great! Thanks! I'm following it closely and have successfully upgraded the hard drive to 120GB, got ethernet working (linksys usb200m), telnet, ftpd all without a hitch...

But... Now I'm getting a strange error with "./tivoweb console". I made the changes from the guide and uploaded (I also tried with the deloused version from JJBliss from tivostuff), but when I run I get the following:

bash-2.02# ./tivoweb console^Mbash-2.02# TiVo Web Project - TCL - v1.9.4
    The program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
    This program is licensed under the GPL.
    See the 'copyright' and 'README' files for copyright and credit information.
    Filesystem assert: pHeaderM->GetSize() == nRead && nRead == sEof at file.C line 693 in TwStatus DbFile::Get(long unsigned int)
    When panic-stopping, header on disk seems bad!
    Tmk Assertion Failure: pHeaderM->GetSize() == nRead && nRead == sEof
    TwStatus DbFile::Get(long unsigned int), line 693 (file.C)
    Tmk Fatal Error: Thread tivosh <189> died due to signal -2
    ce6800 c80518 c75f0c c77344 c734bc c73358 c730a0 c72fd0 bc9b5c bc82fc bbf014 c1fa98 bf6d78 c54c58 c1fa98 bf6d78 bc0f00 bbf014 c1fa98 bf6d78 c55604 c1fa98 bf6d78 c41a00 c4522c bbd270 400778 d753d0 ^M

... and the system reboots. I've searched around for various keywords in the message and didn't have any luck finding anything on the board... just wondering if it's something obvious that I'm missing?

Here is my hackinit contents:

#!/bin/bash
    PATH=/var/hack/bin:/sbin:/bin:/tivobin:/tvbin

TIVO_ROOT=
    MFS_DEVICE=/dev/hda9
    IGNOREEOF=1000
    export PATH TIVO_ROOT MFS_DEVICE IGNOREEOF

insmod /var/hack/lib/usbcore.o
    insmod /var/hack/lib/hcd.o
    insmod /var/hack/lib/ehci-hcd.o
    insmod /var/hack/lib/ax8817x.o
    sleep 10

ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.116 broadcast 192.168.1.255 netmask 255.255.255.0
    route add default gw 192.168.1.1 netmask 0.0.0.0 metric 1

tnlited 23 /bin/bash -login &
    tivoftpd

I'm running on a Phillips 7000.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Problems following Cobelli's guide.

Why are you using MFS_DEVICE=/dev/hda9 shouldn't this read MFS_DEVICE=/dev/hda10. I believe hda9 is your var directory

MT

Smile That Did It!

Thanks MetroTech! I hadn't noticed that... it was late last night... doh!

Redid everything from scratch and made that fix, and all is well now...

Thanks!

Serial cable?????

OK just wanted to say i've searched and searched already

I'm trying to get bash to work on my HDVR2. I've followed the tutorial and I'm not sure why it's not working. I'm using a tivo serial cable from a series 2 standalone with a DB9 Female to DB9 Female adaptor from radioshack #26-230. I can't seem to get the coin trick everyone talks about to work. I know the cable alone works with my sat to my stand alone. I'm using Hyperterminal to try and get an echo. I know this sounds stupid but all I have to do is short the tip and the first ring, type a few letters and hit enter and it should echo an the next line?? I've never really played with telnet before if you haven't guessed that yet! I tried setting it up for ethernet but that doesnt work either. I didn't add any environment variables in mine either so i'm gonna redue all that. But really don't know if my serial cable works or not. If by chance I would get ethernet working can I just use Hyperterminal to do that also?? Any help would be greatly appreciated!! If there is someother posts that would help me alot that I missed I would appreciate a heads up too!! Thanks in advance!!! Oh, one more thing. is it possible to use an editor to make my hackinit, burn it to cd then copy it to the right directory?? I'm not very good with Linux either!!
    Last edited by Scottyboy; 10-04-2003 at 06:31 AM.

Re: Serial cable?????

Originally posted by Scottyboy
    OK just wanted to say i've searched and searched already

I'm trying to get bash to work on my HDVR2. I've followed the tutorial and I'm not sure why it's not working. I'm using a tivo serial cable from a series 2 standalone with a DB9 Female to DB9 Female adaptor from radioshack #26-230.
    in general, you need a null modem adapter of some sort to get the cable that came with the unit to work
    Step one: search button!
    Silly Wabbit, guides are for kids