Thread: DTV Reciever or DTivo Receiver?

Hybrid View

19 DTV Reciever or DTivo Receiver?

I'm currently using a RCA DTC-100 with the VGA to Component box. The question I have is should I purchase a DTivo unit or go with the SA? What are the advantages and disadvantages or both? Also, there seems to be some confusion on using a series II standalone can it be programed with all the various hacks?

If you currently have DirecTV and can get your locals from them then it's a no brainer. Get a DirecTivo. The monthly DVR fee is a flat $4.95 for as many DTivos as you want to add to your DTV account with only a $4.95 mirroring fee required for each DTV receiver. SA Tivos will cost you $12.95/month for each SA Tivo you own. DTivos record the digital datastream directly to the hard drive so there's no analog conversion until it's displayed on your TV screen. SA Tivos go through an extra stage of A/D and D/A processing since they can only record from an analog source and must convert the signal back to digital for recording on the hard drive. DTivos have dual tuners (DTV only counts them as one for billing purposes) and can record two shows simultaneously while playing back a third show previously recorded on the hard drive.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

Capt. Video:
    Thanks for the comments. From reading many of the DTivos seem to be basically the same. What should I look for when purchasing? I'm somewhat partial to Sony products with the exception of the DTC-100 (HDTV and "HU"). How about the Sony SAT-T60? Does it have the hack like to DSR7000/HDVR2?