Thread: need help picking a SA to buy... series 1 or series 2?

need help picking a SA to buy... series 1 or series 2?

hi all-

i used to have a dtivo and it was really awesome. now i'm in a new apartment complex though, facing totally the wrong way for satillete and there's no way i can get dtv. sucks, i know.

so anyways i got comcast digital cable and i have been researching SA tivos Series 1 vs Series 2 and trying to decide which to buy.

i would like to be able do video extraction and download guides over the internet, cause i dont have a phone line. also my dtivo had a simple backdoor i always used and will definitely need, the 30 second jump.

does the series 1/2 SA tivo have the 30 second jump backdoor? what about being able to do video extraction on the series 2?

i know video extraction is possible with the series 1 by installing a turbonet and using tystudio, but i'm afraid that tivo would do a software update to my system and i would lose video extraction capablities anyway. is this right?

if thats the case i might as well get the series 2 tivo right?

can someone set me straight?

i really appreciate any help or suggestions

anyone have a suggestion for me?

Reading through the forums might give you a better idea about what you want. That said I recommend that you get a SA1. You will most likely want to get the TurboNet card as well if you want get updates over the internet and for the extraction. AFAIK extraction/hacking the Series 2 boxes is a little more involved than the Series 1. But I don't have a Series 2 box and I don't know your level of expertise. I am self-taught regarding hacking a TiVo (that is I learned it all by reading forums-not by having anyone come to my house to do my upgrades). If TiVo does update your software you can generally get back to your hacked state without losing too much sleep. And yes the Series 1 has the 30 second skip availible.

ew

Post I've got one of each...

1. The Sony SVR-2000 standalone (Series 1) is my older TiVo, and works with an even older RCA DirecTV satellite receiver. It's got Turbonet, 120 GB hard drive, telnet, ftp, tytool, and TivoWeb. It's definitely easier to hack a Series 1 (in my humble opinion).

2. The Philips DSR7000 DirecTiVo (Series 2) is about a month old, and totally unhacked. The kernel monte and or kernel/userland swap tricks work, but seem like too much effort to me. I picked this DTiVo up for $99 on DirecTV's 'ffdvr' promo to replace an older RCA satellite receiver that was flaking out way too much. The only way I'm going to hack this one is to send the motherboard out for a PROM hack, and whack the initrd. Between the stock PROM and the initrd, the Series 2 TiVo cleans out any and all hacks / patches everytime it boots.

Other considerations:
    3. Standalone Series 1 TiVo's have a slower 50 MHz PowerPC processor, but also have a dedicated MPEG encoder chip, that offloads the hard work from the PPC. They also have an edge connector on the motherboard for your TurboNet adapter.

4. Series 2 TiVo's don't have dedicated MPEG hardware, so they use a more powerful (200 MHz?) MIPS processor to do *all* of the work. They also have USB ports to connect an Ethernet dongle/adapter. It won't work until you hack the box to get Bash, and FTP over the kernel modules, or until you purchase HMO (Home Media Option) for $99 from TiVo.

My personal suggestion is:
    a) purchase one of the many Series 1 standalone TiVo chassis off of EBay
    b) purchase your own inexpensive 80 or 120 GB hard disk drive (BestBuy has Seagate 120 GB for $149 less $70 rebate = $80 !!)
    c) download a TiVo backup image from one of the many FTP or web pages listed here and elsewhere, restore using MFStools.
    d) install and configure your TiVoNET or TurboNET adapter.

Good luck...
    keith721
    ------------------------------------------------
    Series 1 SVR-2000 w/TurboNet

thanks for the replies. i have decided to go with a series 1 stand alone cause it seems a bit less involved and i am pretty new to linux. i am thinking of getting a Phillips HDR-212 from poweron.com

i have been searching the "stand alone tivo hacking" forums for guides and how to's for the SA Series 1, but I haven't found anything thats useful. I think its mainly because I can't search for "Series 1" because "1" isn't at least 3 characters, and so it's very difficult to find useful threads.

can someone please help me out and point me to a good guide or guides for help hacking a Series 1 SA tivo?

as i stated above i just want to download the guide via a turbonet (cause i dont have a phone line) and do video extraction. also if i need to somehow block tivo software updates from overwriting my hacks, where to find help with that as well.

thanks for any help, i really appreciate it!

I ordered a refurbished HDR112 from Philips and it came with the full package of accessories. Even though it was supposed to be a 14 hour machine, it came with a 30 gig hard drive. Shipping was $15.

http://www.servicedvr.com/Extra/BuyExtraTivo.asp

well does anyone know a good guide or guides for help hacking a Series 1 SA tivo?

Originally posted by wahooka
    well does anyone know a good guide or guides for help hacking a Series 1 SA tivo?
    Goto http://www.tivocommunity.com

are we allowed to post links to that site here? ;^P