Thread: DEMO Mode temporary fix on HDVR2

Lightbulb DEMO Mode temporary fix on HDVR2

Well, after 6 months of no TiVo, I just got back up with an HDVR2. I hacked the PROM to gain full access and was enjoying my usual tinkering and TV when I was hit by the dreaded "Demo Mode strangeness"!

After nosing around in the DB, I can't seem to find the mechanism used. It's not like it was on the older units!

So in the meantime, I created a small script to allow somewhat normal TiVoing until we figure out what's happening here.

To use, place the attached fakekey.tcl file on your TiVo (I stuck mine in /var/hack) and call it in your favorite init manner. To do this, I put the following lines in my rc.sysinit.author file, but you can also stick it in your hackinit if you don't have a hacked PROM:

Code:
    if [ -x /var/hack/fakekey.tcl ]; then
       echo "Starting FakeKey"
       /var/hack/fakekey.tcl > /dev/null &
    fi

What it does:
    •Sends a remote keypress for the AOLTV button (not used in the HDVR2)
    •Waits 5 minutes
    •Loops infinitely

How it Works:
    Pressing any key (Including the disused AOLTV key) causes the Demo timer to reset, thus preventing the annoying Demo video and it's 1000dB audio from blasting in every 15 minutes.

Hopefully we will figure out the real cause and fix soon!

Enjoy! =)

Exclamation

Hmm, The File Attachment got lost in Transit. Here is my second attempt:

Side Effect....

I also noticed it has the side effect of keeping the Tivo in any menu/mode you select, it won't timeout to live TV or anything. I kinda like it!

Question

Did anyone get this working? I'd be interested to see if it works on the other units/sw revs.

Originally posted by Ingineer
    Did anyone get this working? I'd be interested to see if it works on the other units/sw revs.
    I've done a lot of Tivo hacking in my day but never got stuck in demo mode. Are you stealing service or something?

well, it seemed that most of the time demo mode was due to a hacked access card, and since most of the users here can't use hacked access cards on their s2 dtivos, there is probably a limited audience.

however, i think it looks like a good solution overall. I don't have a personal need for it, but I'm sure there are thankful users out there
    Step one: search button!
    Silly Wabbit, guides are for kids

Originally posted by David Bought
    I've done a lot of Tivo hacking in my day but never got stuck in demo mode. Are you stealing service or something?
    Everybody who plays isn't stealing service by default.

D

Originally posted by dsboyce8624
    Everybody who plays isn't stealing service by default.

D
    "playing" with the access card is service theft...regardless of how much you pay for your sub. just because you can justify it to yourself, doesnt mean that its legal or legit. regardless, the demo mode fix is a valuable tool.
    Step one: search button!
    Silly Wabbit, guides are for kids

Who said anything about access cards?

That's an assumption until it's explicitly stated.

My point was it's rude to accuse without asking.

D

Originally posted by dsboyce8624
    My point was it's rude to accuse without asking.
    Then reply to an accusation next time. In case you haven't noticed, the text you quoted ended with a '?', which generally indicates the presence of a question.

Does anyone know if this works or not..

I have a Hughes HDVR2 that I am no longer using on Directv and have movies on it that I would like to watch on it...

Thanks

BenRaines