Thread: Stopping HDVR2 from getting the "b" update.

Stopping HDVR2 from getting the "b" update.

Since my Hdvr2 is one of the lucky few that exibits no symptoms of the issues that the "b" update fixes and since there appears to be no other features of the update, I decided to try and stop my TiVo from getting the updates. Below is what I did. (My HDVR2 is not montied)

1. Remove installSw.itcl and updateSoftware.tcl
    2. Install bcron/31fixsub/clearlogs. (31fixsub runs daily and clearlogs runs weekly.)
    3. Unplugged my phone line from the TiVo.

I have been running in this mode for a couple of days with no apparent problems.

Is this about all I can do?
    Is there any gotcha in the above?

I know DTV can possibly update over the sat link but it appears that this update is coming over the phone lines.

Thanks.
    Four Hacked HDVR2's,
    One Still slightly confused Hacker,
    4 dogs, 8 cats, and 1 wife that is happy as long as I don't screw up her TiVo ...... Oh yeah two grandchildren that are the light of my life!

So far DTV has not sent any updates via the satellite feeds so installing fixsub was probably the best move to prevent any potential updates.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

Thanks

Thanks Cap'n....
    From what I see the only thing the phone connection is use for on a HDVR2 is to call DTV for PayPerView and TiVo for software updates. Is that correct?
    Four Hacked HDVR2's,
    4 dogs, 8 cats, and 1 wife that is happy as long as I don't screw up her TiVo ...... Oh yeah two grandchildren that are the light of my life!

Originally posted by captain_video
    So far DTV has not sent any updates via the satellite feeds so installing fixsub was probably the best move to prevent any potential updates.
    dtv has not sent THESE updates via sat feeds as of now
    Step one: search button!
    Silly Wabbit, guides are for kids

Originally posted by mrblack51
    Thanks Mrblack...

Such is true. But I am pretty sure they can when then get ready or get thier act together (yea right) .

One thing I haven't seen yet is whether or not the "B" version is montieable. I have seen some talk about the kernal changes but haven't seen a yes or a no as to anyone that is running it on a montied system. If anyone knows it world be you......
    Four Hacked HDVR2's,

Originally posted by tivomaster
    Thanks Mrblack...

Such is true. But I am pretty sure they can when then get ready or get thier act together (yea right) .

One thing I haven't seen yet is whether or not the "B" version is montieable. I have seen some talk about the kernal changes but haven't seen a yes or a no as to anyone that is running it on a montied system. If anyone knows it world be you......
    we already know that they can and have sent updates via sat...it happened with 2.5.2 on the s1 units. as far as monte goes, you can't use 3.1.1b as the base for monte, but you should be able to monte into it. how about you try it and let us know.
    Step one: search button!
    Silly Wabbit, guides are for kids

Sure thing...

Originally posted by mrblack51
    we already know that they can and have sent updates via sat...it happened with 2.5.2 on the s1 units. as far as monte goes, you can't use 3.1.1b as the base for monte, but you should be able to monte into it. how about you try it and let us know.

I would be happy to... Know anywere I can get ahold of a "B" image to play around with?
    Four Hacked HDVR2's,

I stand corrected. I was unaware of any updates that had actually been sent down the datastream for a DTivo. I know that updates have been sent down for standalone DTV receivers but didn't know about the DTivo updates. I'm sure it's been discussed in depth in the forums but I must have slept through it. None of my DTivos, with one brief exception, had ever recieved an update from any source so I assumed that nothing had come from the sats since I have no phone lines connected to any of my DTivos except for my latest S2 acquisition. I thought I'd let that one update naturally and see what it looks like before I hack it. I've had it connected to a phone for over a week now and still no update.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

you can't use 3.1.1b as the base for monte, but you should be able to monte into it. how about you try it and let us know.
    It works fine monte into 3.1.1b. I have just done several.

I would be happy to... Know anywere I can get ahold of a "B" image to play around with?
    Plug in your phone line and your system upgrade. Or you could take a spare HD restore the 3.1.0 image to it and let it upgrade.