Thread: Series 1 SA Tivo and encryption ?

35 Series 1 SA Tivo and encryption ?

Is there a version of Tivo OS for the series 1 stand alone Tivo which scrambles or encrypts the recordings? If so, is there anyway to avoid upgrading to it?

I thought I read something about OS version 4 in a thread about patching tivoapp to undo file encoding, but maybe I misunderstood. I've never had to worry about this when extracting video 'cause my Tivo is not series 2 and not a DirecTivo, and I'd like to keep things that way.

Series 1 SA models do not encrypt the video stream. OS version 4.0 is for series 2 SA models.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

Just to be safe...

But there's always the chance that TiVo will some day shoot an upgrade down to the SA 1s that will mess things up. Just to be sure, there's a way to add a command to bootparms using tivomad's edit_bootparms. Just add the command "upgradesoftware=false" after the "root=/dev/hda4' (or 7). Just be sure to preserve the original value of "root." Could be either 4 or 7, and it has to stay that way.

bootpage -p /dev/hda .... shows the current boot parameters.

bootpage -P 'new parameters' /dev/hda .... modifies them

For example:
    bootpage -P 'root=/dev/hda4 dsscon=true upgradesoftware=false' /dev/hda

They say UK SA1 tivos won't get another upgrade, but if they sent one it would wreck my LBA48 tivo and all my hacks. I play safe with this option.

Quote Originally Posted by bobones
    bootpage -P 'root=/dev/hda4 dsscon=true upgradesoftware=false' /dev/hda
    What does dsscon=true do? Are there any other boot codes we should know about?