Thread: Showcase Extraction?

Showcase Extraction?

Hi,

I did a search on this, but didn't find the answer I'm looking for, so here goes:

I'm a recent TiVo user and have a question regarding the showcase feature. Is it possible to pull video from the Showcase?

I'd lilke to snag myself a copy of the new Elvis - Rubberneckin' remix video. I've tried to search on my TiVo via ftp but can't seem to find the file(s).

Thanks for any help.

I just did exactly this a few minutes ago. Here's what I did:

First, I assume you have a hacked system, recording in noscramble mode, with backdoors enabled.

Go in to the Now Playing list, and put in the backdoor code to display hidden items (the following is taken from the "Almost Complete Tivo Codes List" on tivocommunity):
    - Thumbs Down, Thumbs Down, Thumbs Up, Instant Replay -
    :: If done in the Now Playing List, it will display the "hidden" recordings, like the Teleworld Paid Program. These recordings are those in reserved space.
    (You can type the code again to turn this off when you're done.)

OK, now you have the showcases in their raw form. They're all titled "Teleworld Paid Program". The one with the Elvis video is 20 minutes, and it's second from the top in my case -- probably in yours too, but check. BTW, you can play these recordings as normal programs, but you can't delete them.

Now, from the Now Playing list, right-arrow into the Elvis TPP, and then press the "Info" key to bring up the additional info screen. Here you will find the ShowingObjID. Write this down.

Now go to your computer, telnet in to the Tivo, and start vserver there. On your computer, I hope you have mplayer -- there are probably other ways to do this, but this is what I did:

mplayer -dumpstream tivo://tivo/<ShowingObjID>

This will put a file called "stream.dump" on your disk, which you can rename to "elvis.ty", or whatever. :-)

You can extract any stream this way, but usually it's not necessary to go to so much trouble. The main problem is getting the ID, which isn't presented by mfs_ftp, tserver or even vserver (if you were looking for it via "mplayer tivo://tivo/list", for instance), even when hidden items are enabled in Now Showing.
    Last edited by TheWickedPriest; 10-17-2003 at 07:43 PM.

Thanks!

Argh...wish I had of had this info when the Elvis video was on mine as well. I wanted to do the same thing but it disappeared before I could even search for instructions here.

Anyone here kind enough to PM me a link to the .ty of it if anyone even still has it? Pretty please?

Originally posted by redhat39
    Argh...wish I had of had this info when the Elvis video was on mine.
    Are you sure the Elvis video is completely gone from your drive? Just because it's no longer in TiVo Central doesn't mean it's not still there as a Clip.

Did you use the backdoor to view all the available clips?

Also, there's no real reason why Clips can't be listed in all the packages that TheWickedPriest mentioned. It just appears that nobody has done that yet.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWickedPriest
    - Thumbs Down, Thumbs Down, Thumbs Up, Instant Replay -
    :: If done in the Now Playing List, it will display the "hidden" recordings, like the Teleworld Paid Program. These recordings are those in reserved space.
    I've been looking for an updated code for 3.1.1c, but haven't had any luck thusfar. Is there some other way that one can display these showcase recordings or determine the FSIDs for extraction?

As far as I know, that sequence still works under 3.1.1c. You may need to have backdoors enabled (?), but that should happen automatically with networking set up.

I wanted to download the NFL Sunday ticket game summaries, after doing " Thumbs Down, Thumbs Down, Thumbs Up, Instant Replay " in the now playing list I searched for and found the video with the game summaries, it was called "DVR Showcase 3" I set it for save until I delete, I then did " Thumbs Down, Thumbs Down, Thumbs Up, Instant Replay " again. Later DVR Showcase 3 showed up in the file list using MFSFTP and I was able to download the .tmf file.

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by TheWickedPriest
    I

This will put a file called "stream.dump" on your disk, which you can rename to "elvis.ty", or whatever. :-)

You can extract any stream this way, but usually it's not necessary to go to so much trouble. The main problem is getting the ID, which isn't presented by mfs_ftp, tserver or even vserver (if you were looking for it via "mplayer tivo://tivo/list", for instance), even when hidden items are enabled in Now Showing.
    Once I could see the "Paid Programs" in now playing, I just picked save until I delete. Then I could see it in tivoweb+ and see the ID just fine. Easy.

TPM