Thread: 490 Help

490 Help

Hi. I'm a newb and I apologize if this has been brought up before. I've searched through the forums a little bit, but haven't found my exact problem, so I'm hoping somebody can help me.

I have recently purchased an RCA DWD490RE from EBay. The seller had tried to upgrade the hard drive, was unsuccessful, and re-installed the original hard drive. Now, this does not work either. The odd thing is that sometimes, it seems to boot up, but most of the time, the green light just flashes. The few times it has booted up, the satellite acquisition screen would come on (didn't have anything but video output connected). I was able to determine that it was using software version 3.5.

The funny thing is that when it does boot up correctly, I can turn it on and off as many times as I like without problems. The rest of the time, as soon as I plug it in, the green light never stops flashing and I can't turn the unit on.

I've thought about inputting the reset codes, but am currently having a hard time to get it to boot up properly again.

Any ideas what this problem could be?

Flashing green LED is an indication that the UTV is booting up. First things to check are:

1. IDE cable should not be damaged, and should be snug in the drive connector.

2. Drive power connector should be plugged-in tightly.

3. Drive jumper is set correctly per manufacturer.

If that doesn't do it, I'd think the drive is damaged or contains corrupted sectors. Before throwing it out, you might just try one of the following;

1. Force the unit to dial MSN and download the 3.7 software

2. Acquire an image of the O/S of your choice, and apply it to the HDD using the method widely described here and at avs.

Thanks for the reply...

I have verified that the IDE connector and power cable are secure, and that the drive is jumpered correctly. What confuses me about this is that it has booted up fine a few times.

I can't get it to come back up at all now however. This means I can't get it to the point where I can input any reset codes or get anything on the screen. In this state, how can I force it to dial MSN to download the software?

I have read and re-read the process for applying the software image to a new hard drive, I'm just running into the problem of acquiring that image. Can somebody send me one?

Originally posted by cyberbob25
    I can't get it to come back up at all now however. This means I can't get it to the point where I can input any reset codes or get anything on the screen. In this state, how can I force it to dial MSN to download the software?
    Follow the drive swap procedure to unlock the drive and put it in a running PC, and then zero out the CE partition (or the whole drive if that's easier).

That's kind of what I thought I was going to have to do. I just wanted to see if this indeed sounds like a hard drive/software issue rather than a hardware issue.

I'll give it a try. Thank you very much.

Originally posted by cyberbob25
    That's kind of what I thought I was going to have to do. I just wanted to see if this indeed sounds like a hard drive/software issue rather than a hardware issue.

I'll give it a try. Thank you very much.
    Pull the drive and see if it tries to dial out (it should).

Thanks again for your help David. I have pulled the drive and plugged in the unit, and as you stated, it then tried connecting to MSN. So I'm guessing that means that everything hardware is working the way it is supposed to, and that the problem lies in my hard drive or operating system, right?
    Last edited by cyberbob25; 10-23-2003 at 04:38 PM.

I have now zero'd out the entire drive, copied my 3.5 image (taken from the original hard drive in my last step) into both relevant sectors, just to be sure.

I then plugged it back into my UTV, turned it on, and still nothing but green blinking light. I unplugged the hard drive and turned it on again, it attempted to dial out to MSN (I don't have a phone line which is why I've been trying to do it this way). I unplugged the unit again, re-attached the hard drive, and plugged the unit back in. This time, it came up, went through the setup steps and everything. It was working fine. Then just to test, I unplugged the unit again, waited a few minutes and plugged it back in. Again, nothing but a flashing green light. Does this mean that there is something wrong hardware wise, or is it still just corrupted software?

Sounds like intermittent hardware - hopefully just the hard drive or the cable.

That's kind of what I was thinking as well...what I don't understand though is why, when it does boot up, it works fine. I can power it up and down as much as I want...it's only the boot up process when I plug it in that this happens. Do you think this could be the hard drive? I don't want to go buy a new hard drive if this isn't the problem.

Please let me know what you think.

Alright, let me summarize everything I have done to this point:

Using the method that Heculito has explained, I hooked the hard drive up to my computer, and using winhex, I have copied the sectors containing FSNo into a file on my hard drive. I then filled the entire drive with 00's to blank out the drive. I then copied the OS back into the relevant sectors (I've even tried copying it into both locations listed, in case the UTV was trying to boot to the alternate location). After putting this hard drive back into the UTV, I still got nothing but a flashing green light. I tried this process a total of two or three times witht he same results each time.

Thinking that perhaps the 3.5 image I got off the hard drive originally might be corrupt, I zeroed out the hard drive again, and then put it directly into the UTV. When powered on, as expected, it would try to dial out to MSN. I took it over to my friend's house (I have no land line) and let it download 3.7. Now, when I try to power up the system, it will go through the normal booting cycle (flashing green light, all lights flash, flashing green light), then reboot itself and do it all again. It will typically go through this cycle between 5 and 10 times. It will then usually come up as normal in a working condition, however, occasionally, it will just stay at the flashing green light. Once it does come up, it can be turned on and off infinitely without problem, only when unplugged or in the case of power outtages will it run the reboot cycle again.

Does this still sound like a hard drive problem? Even though it now works for the most part, I would really like to get this problem solved, but would rather not shell out money for a new hard drive if that isn't the problem. Any feedback is greatly appreciated!