Thread: ethernet problem

ethernet problem

I successfully monte'd my DSR7000 this morning after getting the 3.1.1b update. Everything's fine except for the ethernet.

I would like to think of myself pretty experienced with networking in general, and already have a nice network setup at home. I'm also using Linux at work regularly, but I cannot figure this one out.

All modules load fine, and I get the 3Com USB ethernet light up. Kernel log shows:

Code:
    Oct 25 16:09:15 (none) kernel: hub.c: new USB device 00:0d.0-1, assigned address 2 
    Oct 25 16:09:15 (none) kernel: usb.c: USB device 2 (vend/prod 0x506/0x4601) is not claimed by any active driver. 
    Oct 25 16:09:25 (none) kernel: pegasus.c: v0.4.30 (2003/04/01):Pegasus/Pegasus II USB Ethernet driver 
    Oct 25 16:09:25 (none) kernel: usb.c: registered new driver pegasus 
    Oct 25 16:09:25 (none) kernel: pegasus.c: eth0: 3Com USB Ethernet 3C460B 
    Oct 25 16:09:25 (none) kernel: pegasus.c: setup Pegasus II specific registers
    My router's IP is 192.168.0.1, my PC is 192.168.0.101 and I set the Tivo to 192.168.0.100. So far so good. The problem is I cannot get into the box from the network at all. I have tnlited and tivoftpd running but no response to my telnet or ftp attempts from the PC. However, ifconfig shows:

Code:
    eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:04:76:01:16:DC  
              inet addr:192.168.0.100  Bcast:192.168.0.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
              UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
              RX packets:27 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
              TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0 coll:0
    The part of interest is the RX packets, it increases every time I attempt to telnet or ftp.

I alread tried plugging the 3Com USB to my laptop, works fine. There is nothing else on the network using 192.168.0.100, so IP conflict is also not an issue.

I'm at a loss, any ideas.

Erhan

Come on guys, 26 views and not a single reply

Let me ask a more direct question: Does anyone have 3Com USB ethernet working on DTivo? I'm beginning to think there is a driver compatibility issue here. From what I can see most people use Linksys.

Erhan

Ping?

Can you ping the TiVo from your PC?
    Can you ping the PC from your TiVo?
    Although is should not matter what is the default gateway set to?
    Four Hacked HDVR2's,
    One Still slightly confused Hacker,
    4 dogs, 8 cats, and 1 wife that is happy as long as I don't screw up her TiVo ...... Oh yeah two grandchildren that are the light of my life!

Nope, ping doesn't work from PC to Tivo, but I get the RX packets increased by one for every icmp request.

I don't have "ping" on tivo, neither "ps" for that matter. I guess I should try that, eh? (Search button, here I come)

Erhan

Same problem

I am having a similar problem where the RX goes up, but TX stays at zero. I have a SpeedStream 10/100 USB and the link light comes on but I cannot ping, telnet or ftp. Let me know if you find a solution.

something to add

Forgot to mention that I had to use the /var/hack/lib/pegasus.o. The /lib/modules/pegasus.o did not bring the link light up on my USB Ethernet adapter nor did it seem to find the adapter.

Re: something to add

Originally posted by mwrobinson
    Forgot to mention that I had to use the /var/hack/lib/pegasus.o. The /lib/modules/pegasus.o did not bring the link light up on my USB Ethernet adapter nor did it seem to find the adapter.
    For pegasus try the modules in /lib/modules in your rc.sysinit.author not the ones from hostfreedom.

erhan,

Try pinging the Tivo from a PC.
    Try pinging the PC from the tivo.

What modules are you using?

Haven't had a chance to play with this for some time. I've been on the road for business.

However, I did see someone else in this forum that had the same problem. I was also getting a lot of unaligned access errors as he indicated and the solution was to use the standard drivers, not the ones from the net. The problem is, I had already overwritten my /lib/modules and I need to extract them from my original drive, then put them on the new drive. Not really a fun project to pull drives, mount, etc.

/lib/modules modules don't work either

So far I have tried loading the modules under /lib/modules and the modules under /var/hack/lib. I did not replace the original /lib/modules with the hostfreedom modules, so they should still be the ones that came with the system. When I load the /lib/modules versions I get an eth0 with no RX or TX. Also, if I do any 'ifconfig -a' I don't see eth0, I have to specify it. I also do not get a link and nothing gets logged to the messages file. When I load the /var/hack/lib modules I get an eth0 and I do get RX, but not TX. I can do an 'ifconfig -a' and eth0 shows up in the list. The following information gets logged to the kernel file when I use the hack modules:

kernel: pegasus.c: eth0: SpeedStream USB 10/100 Ethernet
    kernel: pegasus.c: setup Pegasus II specific registers
    kernel: pegasus.c: link partner stat 0

The following gets logged int the kernel file when I use the /lib/modules:

kernel: pegasus.c: pegasus.c: v0.4.18 2001/03/18 (C) 1999
    kernel: pegasus.c: eth0: SpeedStream USB 10/100 Ethernet
    kernel: pegasus.c: can't locate MII phy, using default

From what I can tell, this would be correct since it is a SpeedStream USB 10/100.

Worked with standard modules

I tried this morning with the standard modules in /lib/modules (extracted from the original drive) and it works like a charm.

My ethernet controller is 3Com USB

Can someone pm me the rc.sysinit from 3.1.1b?

Thanks

NutKase
    "God, and DealDataBase, help those that help themselves." --Shamelessly stolen from psxboy
    ------------------------------------------------
    2 each, SA S2 287hr 7.2.1a's with Lifetime.
    Hacks: 1 Manually Monte'd -140, Bash,Telnet,FTP,TivoWebPlus,
    Superpatch-67all Unscrambled/HMO,MFS_FTP Ver. N,TyTools, tivoserver
    Fully hacked SA S1

Got ethernet working

I went and bought a Netgear FA120, swapped the config for the appropriate modules and it came right up. I guess my Speedstream USB ethernet adapter just didn't want to work with the Pegasus module.