Thread: Reloading dsr6000, no bash

Reloading dsr6000, no bash

Had my dsr-6000 since they came out, been awhile, running 25xtreme with upgrades, put in 80GB HD 8 months ago, everythings been great.
    Had a power outage, GSOD, (green screen of death), unit kept rebooting itself, pulled HD and reloaded original then 25xtreme then maddtb4 to expand.
    Now no bash prompt, always had one right after installing HD in TIVO unit, so I let unit reboot and have picture, but want to add Kravens stuff and lifetime.
    Tried a new serial cable same result, will try another install of 25xtreme, unless there are any suggestion?

Is it possible your baud rate on the terminal program no longer matches? I think 2.5xtreme was set to 115200.

Otherwise, I would say do it all over again.

thanks for the reply, I did try different rates, but if I remember correctly you start at 9600 at first then after kravens upgrades it changes to 115200, but in either case I should get some response, get nothing.
    Will reload 25xtreme

reloaded it and still no bash, tested com 1 on another device, its working fine, will let the TIVO run overnite and try it tomorrow.

Had a power outage
    Any chance there was a surge either before or after the outage that could have damaged the serial port?

It is likely that there was a surge, the TIVO is plugged into a surge suppressor ($150), nice one, lol, well expensive anyway.
    I was going on the assumption that the TIVO was running some kind of maintinance program when the power failed and when power came back on, one or several files were corrupted, which is why the GSOD, my first time for this.
    Is there any other test I can run to check the serial port?

And is there an FAQ or How-to, about loading the updates via CD-rom in the linux program with 25xtreme?

There may be something in the stickies at the top of this forum, but I find them to be a bit unwieldy when looking for information. Was your serial cable connected to the TiVo at the time of the power failure? I have a hard time accepting that a power surge would hit the serial port if a cable was not connected to it (even though I proposed that earlier). I don't suppose you have a TurboNet in it?

no it was not hooked up, the TIVO serial port, and no I don't have turbonet.
    It is running fine now, no lifetime, or updates, ect. so won't be fine for long, lol.

And nothing in the stickys about updates direct to the HD hooked to the PC, maybe the bash will come back, if I let it run a bit.

I think I'll make a image of it after I figure this out, that way it will never happen again, ever notice that when you have a backup you never need it, only the things you don't backup fail.

ever notice that when you have a backup you never need it, only the things you don't backup fail.
    I've been bitten by that more times than I care to recall. And I am really pretty good about keeping backups of important stuff.

I know you can enable BASH through a process on a PC with the TiVo drive(s). I've only done it through xtreme though.

Are you SURE that you didn't get a software update? From what I have been reading, 3.1.0b DID come over the network (if it was available). This is a change from past updates which came over the phone line only. Was your system able to reach the Internet? (I have mine purposely set to be unable to go out.)

As an addition, this might help you with getting BASH back.

Why not go to 2.5.2 and use 115200 baud rate. Has xplusz in it and is WAY more stable than 2.5 and holds locals, 2.5 doesnt.

Thanks for all the input.
    No phone line I'm in Canada, we don't have phones up here, we just throw snowballs with messages inside.

I use dial-up, but will look into getting someone to download 2.5.2. for me, after reading about it it sounds like just the ticket.

Are you SURE that you didn't get a software update? From what I have been reading, 3.1.0b DID come over the network (if it was available). This is a change from past updates which came over the phone line only. Was your system able to reach the Internet? (I have mine purposely set to be unable to go out.)
    Doh! I realised this morning that I was stil talking about a Turbonet even after you said that you didn't have one. For that I apologize.

As for using xtreme2.5, it is incredibly easy. The downside for you will be the loss of your receordings.