Page 1 of 74 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: (DEPRECATED) SLEEPER ISO - Series 2 Scripts for U5, Monte and Prom with many hacks

Hybrid View

(DEPRECATED) SLEEPER ISO - Series 2 Scripts for U5, Monte and Prom with many hacks

Edit by mrblack51:

As evidenced by many posts in this thread and throughout the forum, the "sleeper iso" is both outdated and buggy. Specifically, the default setup installs outdated (ie: old versions of tivoweb, kmem instead of NoCSO, etc), and/or broken hacks (ie: mfs_ftp in some versions, md5sum, joe), uses a non-standard partition layout, and causes unexpected results due to hacks such as the included SPS30 script (search: ghost). While the basic process works, it is highly recommended that you read one of the many threads on using killhdinitrd, which is a better solution. As such, while this method works (with numerous issues that need to be dealt with for a reliable setup), it is not recommended anymore. There is not a another "one step" disk which replaces this one, but there are many boot disks which can be used to hack the drive using the killhdinitrd method. do a search.

edit2: There have been numerous questions/threads/conspiracy theories regarding the ban of sleeper. The facts are clear, and though not being rehashed here (do a search if you are interested), suffice it to say that sleeper will not be responding to any support questions on this board. the ban is permanent and the decision is final, so there is no need to continually bring it up. thanks

edit3 by adh: Requests for TivoScripts support will not be entertained outside this thread. Best bet: just don't use it at all.

edit4 by adh:
    Instructions for removing the broken TivoScripts "monte" setup from your drive and upgrading to killhdinitrd:
    Unsleeper a 4.0 unit - PlainBill's unsleepering process

Starting from scratch with killhdinitrd:
    Hacking your Series2 in 2004 - general Series2.0 SA/DTiVo hacking instructions
    4.x on a Uma6/RID DTiVo - installation instructions

Original post follows:

TERMS OF USE
    A.) REDISTRIBUTION PROHIBITED IN ANY FORM
    B.) SALE OF ANY DRIVE OR UNIT MODIFIED WITH THIS SOFTWARE PROHIBITED
    C.) USE OF THIS SOFTWARE TO OBTAIN THEFT OF SERVICE PROHIBITED
    D.) USE OF THIS SOFTWARE TO OBTAIN AND DISTRIBUTE COPYRIGHTED MATERIAL PROHIBITED

By clicking on one of the following links you inherently agree to the TERMS OF USE.

Click here to download the latest release of the tivoscritps ISO from pvrfiles.com

Click here to download the latest version from an alternate site

Click here to download the latest version from TwinBrothers

Latest release is version 1.02 (tivoscripts1_02.zip)
    mfs_ftp has been removed.
    There are no other changes between 1.01 and 1.02

mfs_ftp See this thread. Do not use the version installed by tivoscripts 1.01 Get the latest version. Read this thread before posting:

http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...5&pagenumber=1

PLEASE READ THIS THREAD BEFORE USING - ESPECIALLY THE PART ABOUT THE REPORTED PROBLEMS OTHER PEOPLE HAVE HAD

I have created automated scripts that perform the U5, Prom and Monte installations for SERIES 2 ONLY!!!!!!

U5 (userland hack) has been removed.

Prom is ONLY for tivos that have a new prom which requires soldering

The scripts are on a bootable mfstools disk (ISO) that also includes many of the more common hacks.

To use them you download the ISO, burn the disk and boot from it. You must install a FAT32 drive as Primary Master, a bootable CD drive as Primary Slave and the Tivo drive as Secondary Master.

The scripts are designed to teach what is happening. Each command that is executed has a brief explanation of what the command is doing and prints out the command. The user is prompted to press enter to execute each command and is then presented with a success or failure message.

The main menu will automatically appear upon boot. All the scripts perform 4 phases, any of which can be skipped. The phases are Backup, Restore, Surgery & Final Installation. However, you can not Restore unless you Backed up with the scripts first.

IT IS STRONGLY RECOMMENDED THAT YOU BACKUP YOUR ORIGINAL HARD DRIVE AND USE A SECOND DRIVE TO HACK. I WILL NOT BE RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE AS A RESULT OF THESE SCRIPTS OR YOUR OWN NEGLIGENCE.

Suggestions, positive criticism, bugs and ehancement requests are welcome.

CURRENT FEATURES/HACKS
    Backup
    Restore
    Monte - U5 kernel & Minimal fs
    Prom - Blow out initrd
    Network drivers & Config network
    tivoftpd
    tnlited
    tivoweb
    /bin utilities
    busybox 1.01
    joe editor - not working
    kmem
    prevent daily call (old fixsub)
    sort & sps30 scripts
    tytools

Probably more that I forgot

For additional info please reference the WIKI:
    http://alt.org/wiki/index.php/TivoScripts

The next couple of post are for me to maintain the FAQ about the scripts.
    Last edited by alldeadhomiez; 03-11-2005 at 12:22 PM.

DOES YOUR ISO/SCRIPTS CONTAIN THE XXXX HACK THAT ALLOWS ME TO STEAL DTV SERVICE AND/OR TIVO SERVICE

No! Please don't PM me about this. It is against forum rules and illegal and could jepordize all the hard work that I have done for the benefit of others.

I got this error after running the scripts:
    Boot failed reason=60
    Ram size = 64
    Service number is 1010000C0223B7C.
    What is password?

Try running the Monte script, not the Prom script!

How far will the u5 and prom scripts get me in the sense of being protected from software updates?

U5 - No longer supported
    Monte - uses the upgradesoftware=false on the bootpage
    Prom - uses upgradesoftware=false on the bootpage

Are their any task that have to be done to my tivo before using your scripts? (such as reinstating the original RC.SYS and making sure "updatesoftware=true" is still there?

I do not support or encourage that you hack your original Tivo Drive. Do this at your own risk.

Ideally you should start with a virgin unhacked drive that has the latest software on it. If this is your original Tivo drive, install it as Secondary Master and boot the CD. Run a script, perform backup phase, power off and remove the Original drive and install a new drive in its place Reboot and continue with the Restore, Surgery and Final Phases.

If your virgin unhacked drive is not your original Tivo drive and you do not need to expand it or create swap, then install it as secondary master and boot the CD. Run a script, perform backup phase, reboot, skip restore phase, and continue with the Surgery, and Final Phases.

IF YOU ARE HAVING PROBLEMS, PUT THE DRIVE IN THE TIVO AFTER EACH OF THE 3 PHASES (RESTORE, SURGERY & FINAL) AND TEST IT.

Do I need to allow my never before used HDVR2 to call in before I use this ISO?

You do not have to but it is recommended that you force the daily call and pending restart to upgrade. This way you will have the latest software. All of the scripts prevent the upgrade from happening.

After running the scripts, do I need to reinitialize all my hacks?

Just read the screen as you run the scripts. You will see what hacks are being installed. Afterwards, you can edit the rc.sysinit.author or hackint file and remove anything that you do not want. In the future there may be an option to install each utility/hack. Righ now everything gets installed.

What models do you think this will work with? DirecTivos and Standalones?

The scripts should work on all series 2's. They have been tested on both a prom modded HDVR2 and an unmodded HDVR2. There is an option to copy the ethernet drivers. SA units SHOULD NOT copy the drivers. Also 4.x software must manually patch tivoapp - see posts later in the thread

Do you have a .b image I can install on my new 120 A drive so I don't have to wait for the is happen on its own?

The ISO does not contain any images. It may contain the SA images in the future if they prove to work well on a Direct Tivo. If you want the latest software, force your Tivo to do a daily call.

I have the Model XXXX network adapter, does your script support the driver for this device?

The scripts currently installs the pegasus and ax8817x drivers. Others will be added upon request. Please check the other HOWTO threads to see exactly which devices are supported by each driver.

Does the Fix sub included with this ISO automaticly run using cron once a month to keep my Tivo unit activated?

No. It uses the sleep command and runs once per day. I have worked on using crond which is part of the busybox 1.0 toolkit that I installed. The problem is that it wants to use a spool directory under /var and I am still on the fence about that because /var can (although doesn't happen often) get rebuilt and goodbye cron. Opinions on this are welcome.

All hacks are automaticly installed with the ISO, does this mean that they will automaticaly start when the Tivo unit is booted the first time or do I need to implemet them after installing the hacks?

Everything is implemented in /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.author
    Remove hacks by editing it accordingly. The vi (vim) editor is available over the serial port. Use a terminal like hyperterminal. yyserver must manually be started.
    Last edited by Sleeper; 04-11-2004 at 12:49 AM.

What is the differnece between the standard romfs & the delayed romfs?

The delayed romfs has a 2 second sleep before kmonte.o is loaded and a 2 second sleep before monte is run. If you have the problem posted in this thread, try the delayed romfs. Please post your results.

Can I apply the hacks for a> Larger drive installation (to replace the existing drive)

Yes, that is the only RECOMMENDED method.

Can I gain shell access/tivoweb/exraction...and still keep my existing recordings

No. Currently, the backup does not backup your recordings. Also, the noscramble hack is installed so if you somehow have them, then remove the noscramble hack in your rc.sysinit.author.
    Last edited by Sleeper; 01-12-2004 at 01:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper
    What is the differnece between the standard romfs & the delayed romfs?

The delayed romfs has a 2 second sleep before kmonte.o is loaded and a 2 second sleep before monte is run. If you have the problem posted in this thread, try the delayed romfs. Please post your results.
    I am already reinstalling but I sure wish there was some way to step into the install process in mid-stream without having to do the entire backup/restore thing first. Just consider this a wishlist request for your new ISO ...

[P.S. I am telnetted into my TiVo!!! Wow. After re-running the TiVoScripts CD install and using the delayed ROMfs option I am not sure that's the problem. I noticed that when I chose the ax8817x drivers they were installed on /tivovar - when I had manually copied them over I was using the /var on /tivoroot - didn't realize var was it's own partition *doh!* Might be something to add to an FAQ about the different default partitions your scripts use....]

I shudder to think how much time your scripts have saved me Sleeper. Kudos and thanks!
    Last edited by webwide; 03-23-2004 at 02:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by webwide
    I am already reinstalling but I sure wish there was some way to step into the install process in mid-stream without having to do the entire backup/restore thing first.
    There is. Just skip the backup and restore phases. Read the prompts.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper
    There is. Just skip the backup and restore phases. Read the prompts.
    But once I had run all the phases it wouldn't let me just skip backup or restore phases......I tried. Perhaps I screwed something up. Oh well, I'm telnetting and FTP-ing over my LAN now so I'm happy

HDVR2 won't start after installing TiveScripts

Hi,

I've successfuly upgraded my hard drive to 200G using Sleeper's TivoScripts 1.02. But when I've applied all the hacks, and installed it back to my Hughes SD-HDVR40, it wouldn't start.

My goal is to hook it out to my wireless network. I have a linksys router, and planning to use the linksys WUSB11.

Can anyone provide me ideas to troubleshot this.

Much appriciate,

Meni

Quote Originally Posted by menih
    Hi,

I've successfuly upgraded my hard drive to 200G using Sleeper's TivoScripts 1.02. But when I've applied all the hacks, and installed it back to my Hughes SD-HDVR40, it wouldn't start.

My goal is to hook it out to my wireless network. I have a linksys router, and planning to use the linksys WUSB11.

Can anyone provide me ideas to troubleshot this.

Much appriciate,

Meni
    Are you loading your own kernel?

The kernel that Tivo ships (and sleepers ISO uses) does not support drives over 137gig.

KNOWN BUGS/PROBLEMS/STATUS

FIXES
    The ax8817x drivers problem causes the Tivo to continually reboot. The problem is fixed in version 1.01

SA networking firewall issue. The netfilters-disable filter is set to run on bootup in version 1.01

BUGS
    SA Tivoweb does not work. This is a problem with Tivoweb - not the install scripts. Once someone posts a fix it will be incorporated.

Joe editor does not work because it was built with the resources in the /hack directory. Will replace when I get a new build. Until then vi editor works. Anyone have it?

RECOMMENDATIONS
    Make sure that you start with your ORIGINAL hard drive

Make sure that the drive has the LATEST software version and is completely UNHACKED.

Make sure that the unit is subbed and the DVR service is working.

Make sure that your original drive is not a restore of a previous backup. Something is very funny about backing up and restoring a drive that has already been restored with mfsbackup. I can't put my finger on it but I think that the swap gets messed up.

Do not perform the restore to your ORIGINAL hard drive.

Version history

Version 1.0
    1) Removed U5 script.
    2) Fixed CallFixSub
    3) Allow restore to exact same size drive as backup (NOT SUPPORTED)
    4) Added 4 phases - Backup, Restore, Surgery & Hacks
    Any phase can be performed or skipped provided that a backup was performed.
    5) Alldeadhomiez runmonte fix applied and new romfs
    6) Option to install the standard romfs or the delayed romfs.
    7) Option for SA users to skip copying ethernet drivers.

Version 1.01 is released!
    1) Fixed SA networking.
    2) Fixed ax8817x driver
    3) Fixed kmem for SA units

Thanks to the beta testers!
    Last edited by Sleeper; 11-06-2003 at 10:07 PM.

35 copying shows

I could have sworn that I read *somewhere* in this crazy thread that show files are NOT copied over in the backup or restore phases. OK, no big deal, I'll pull them off of my original TiVo drive after I get the new one up.

But here I am copying them off of the new drive onto my Windoze drive via MFS_FTP and I haven't touched my original TiVo drive since the backup phase! Is this normal? Did I just imagine it? Am I smoking crack?

HOW TO REPORT A PROBLEM

Please post problems to this thread. Please answer the following questions when posting. If the questions are not answered your post will be ignored and a request will be made to have it deleted.

1.) What script did you run? Prom or Monte?

2.) If you ran the Prom script, who soldered your prom into your Tivo?

3.) What model is your unit?

4.) How big is the original hard drive?

5.) Is or has your original hard drive been hacked before.

6.) Have you ever performed a mfsrestore to your original hard drive?

7.) What version of software is running on your original hard drive?

8. ) Has your box been subbed, receiving DVR service and DTV if it's a DTivo?

9.) What size is the drive that your are restoring to?

10.) Were there any error messages when running the scripts and exactly what did they say. If you are not sure then perform the entire operation again before posting.

11.) Include the text captured from your terminal (hyperterminal) where the error occurred in your post.

12.) Did you spill coffee on your Tivo while you had it open? Just kidding?

13.) Did you test the drive in your tivo after the RESTORE phase and before the SURGERY phase? Did it work?

14.) Did you test the drive in your tivo after the SURGERY phase and before the FINAL (HACKS) phase? Did it work?

15.) What model USB newtork adapter are you using?

16) Which network drivers did you choose to install?
    Last edited by Sleeper; 01-12-2004 at 01:23 AM.

ISO doesn't backup kernel

1.) What script did you run? Prom or Monte?
    Monte
    2.) If you ran the Prom script, who soldered your prom into your Tivo?
    NA
    3.) What model is your unit?
    HDVR2 (but shows as HDVR3 on system information)
    4.) How big is the original hard drive?
    5.) Is or has your original hard drive been hacked before.
    no
    6.) Have you ever performed a mfsrestore to your original hard drive?
    no
    7.) What version of software is running on your original hard drive?
    3.1.1b-02-2-151
    8. ) Has your box been subbed, receiving DVR service and DTV if it's a DTivo?
    yes
    9.) What size is the drive that your are restoring to?
    120GB
    10.) Were there any error messages when running the scripts and exactly what did they say. If you are not sure then perform the entire operation again before posting.
    during the kernel backup phase, i get 0+0 records in, 0+0 records out. i have even tried using bootpage manually and then using dd if=/dev/hdc3 of=/cdrive/tivo/kernel.img or whatever - nothing. A fdisk done from linux shows no partitions on the drive. But, the original drive works.
    11.) Include the text captured from your terminal (hyperterminal) where the error occurred in your post.
    n/a
    12.) Did you spill coffee on your Tivo while you had it open? Just kidding?
    n/a
    13.) Did you test the drive in your tivo after the RESTORE phase and before the SURGERY phase? Did it work?
    n/a
    14.) Did you test the drive in your tivo after the SURGERY phase and before the FINAL (HACKS) phase? Did it work?
    n/a
    15.) What model USB newtork adapter are you using?
    n/a
    16) Which network drivers did you choose to install?[/QUOTE]
    n/a

Not related to hacking, but FYI here's a discussion of version 3.1.1c.
    Last edited by goony; 02-05-2004 at 06:59 PM.

Red face I'm a ****ing moron....Or this isn't your father's SA1

OK, I admit it, I did something stupid. I didn't clear the encryption key when moving a disk image from one SA2 to another.

I have two S2's, a 24004A and a 24008A. I've had the 8A for awhile (month), and it had already received the 4.01 upgrade. Thus, when I bought a second unit, I used the 8A to image from so I would have to wait for the software upgrade. I thought it would save time and frustration....Boy was I wrong....It would have if I had understood the SA2's new encryption. I guess I was just applying too much SA1 experience to my new SA2's.

So, all the troubles I've had have been self-inflicted.

Thanx to AlphaWolf for setting me off on the right track!

Dumb mistake!

ok.. I did something stupid .. forgot to set attrib to x on my rc.sysinit.author --

then found out that there are things VERY different in the way hacks were done on the S1.

all the BASH, Telnet, FTP etc... are done in rc.sysinit.author dumb idea in my opinion , and I will fix once I'm back in...

because of my mistake; I'm locked out of my TiVo, can't even get in via serial --- why was that decison made "Sleeper ?" to put the way in in the file that is editted most. I would think that BASH & TelnetD should remain in rc.sysinit - then never touched (unless really needed)

kinda defeats the whole pupose of the rc.sysinit.author in the first place, at least in my opinion. Provides a safety net, incase a typo or somesuch error - you can still get in and fix.

OK... with that said what do I need to know to get in - after mounting the drive in my PC -- what do I do to mount that drive, do I boot from Sleeper's ISO (without the scripts) Knnopix ?

mkdir /mnt/s2dtivo
    mount /dev/hdx? /mnt/s2dtivo

or something like that? what partition is the /etc/rc.d directory?
    ~Hi8

(4) Hughes SD DVR40
    (1) Hughes HR10-250
    (2) xbmc XBOX X2 & xbit