Page 1 of 129 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: (DEPRECATED) SLEEPER ISO - Series 2 Scripts for U5, Monte and Prom with many hacks

(DEPRECATED) SLEEPER ISO - Series 2 Scripts for U5, Monte and Prom with many hacks

Edit by mrblack51:

As evidenced by many posts in this thread and throughout the forum, the "sleeper iso" is both outdated and buggy. Specifically, the default setup installs outdated (ie: old versions of tivoweb, kmem instead of NoCSO, etc), and/or broken hacks (ie: mfs_ftp in some versions, md5sum, joe), uses a non-standard partition layout, and causes unexpected results due to hacks such as the included SPS30 script (search: ghost). While the basic process works, it is highly recommended that you read one of the many threads on using killhdinitrd, which is a better solution. As such, while this method works (with numerous issues that need to be dealt with for a reliable setup), it is not recommended anymore. There is not a another "one step" disk which replaces this one, but there are many boot disks which can be used to hack the drive using the killhdinitrd method. do a search.

edit2: There have been numerous questions/threads/conspiracy theories regarding the ban of sleeper. The facts are clear, and though not being rehashed here (do a search if you are interested), suffice it to say that sleeper will not be responding to any support questions on this board. the ban is permanent and the decision is final, so there is no need to continually bring it up. thanks

edit3 by adh: Requests for TivoScripts support will not be entertained outside this thread. Best bet: just don't use it at all.

edit4 by adh:
    Instructions for removing the broken TivoScripts "monte" setup from your drive and upgrading to killhdinitrd:
    Unsleeper a 4.0 unit - PlainBill's unsleepering process

Starting from scratch with killhdinitrd:
    Hacking your Series2 in 2004 - general Series2.0 SA/DTiVo hacking instructions
    4.x on a Uma6/RID DTiVo - installation instructions

Original post follows:

TERMS OF USE
    A.) REDISTRIBUTION PROHIBITED IN ANY FORM
    B.) SALE OF ANY DRIVE OR UNIT MODIFIED WITH THIS SOFTWARE PROHIBITED
    C.) USE OF THIS SOFTWARE TO OBTAIN THEFT OF SERVICE PROHIBITED
    D.) USE OF THIS SOFTWARE TO OBTAIN AND DISTRIBUTE COPYRIGHTED MATERIAL PROHIBITED

By clicking on one of the following links you inherently agree to the TERMS OF USE.

Click here to download the latest release of the tivoscritps ISO from pvrfiles.com

Click here to download the latest version from an alternate site

Click here to download the latest version from TwinBrothers

Latest release is version 1.02 (tivoscripts1_02.zip)
    mfs_ftp has been removed.
    There are no other changes between 1.01 and 1.02

mfs_ftp See this thread. Do not use the version installed by tivoscripts 1.01 Get the latest version. Read this thread before posting:

http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...5&pagenumber=1

PLEASE READ THIS THREAD BEFORE USING - ESPECIALLY THE PART ABOUT THE REPORTED PROBLEMS OTHER PEOPLE HAVE HAD

I have created automated scripts that perform the U5, Prom and Monte installations for SERIES 2 ONLY!!!!!!

U5 (userland hack) has been removed.

Prom is ONLY for tivos that have a new prom which requires soldering

The scripts are on a bootable mfstools disk (ISO) that also includes many of the more common hacks.

To use them you download the ISO, burn the disk and boot from it. You must install a FAT32 drive as Primary Master, a bootable CD drive as Primary Slave and the Tivo drive as Secondary Master.

The scripts are designed to teach what is happening. Each command that is executed has a brief explanation of what the command is doing and prints out the command. The user is prompted to press enter to execute each command and is then presented with a success or failure message.

The main menu will automatically appear upon boot. All the scripts perform 4 phases, any of which can be skipped. The phases are Backup, Restore, Surgery & Final Installation. However, you can not Restore unless you Backed up with the scripts first.

IT IS STRONGLY RECOMMENDED THAT YOU BACKUP YOUR ORIGINAL HARD DRIVE AND USE A SECOND DRIVE TO HACK. I WILL NOT BE RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE AS A RESULT OF THESE SCRIPTS OR YOUR OWN NEGLIGENCE.

Suggestions, positive criticism, bugs and ehancement requests are welcome.

CURRENT FEATURES/HACKS
    Backup
    Restore
    Monte - U5 kernel & Minimal fs
    Prom - Blow out initrd
    Network drivers & Config network
    tivoftpd
    tnlited
    tivoweb
    /bin utilities
    busybox 1.01
    joe editor - not working
    kmem
    prevent daily call (old fixsub)
    sort & sps30 scripts
    tytools

Probably more that I forgot

For additional info please reference the WIKI:
    http://alt.org/wiki/index.php/TivoScripts

The next couple of post are for me to maintain the FAQ about the scripts.
    Last edited by alldeadhomiez; 03-11-2005 at 11:22 AM.

DOES YOUR ISO/SCRIPTS CONTAIN THE XXXX HACK THAT ALLOWS ME TO STEAL DTV SERVICE AND/OR TIVO SERVICE

No! Please don't PM me about this. It is against forum rules and illegal and could jepordize all the hard work that I have done for the benefit of others.

I got this error after running the scripts:
    Boot failed reason=60
    Ram size = 64
    Service number is 1010000C0223B7C.
    What is password?

Try running the Monte script, not the Prom script!

How far will the u5 and prom scripts get me in the sense of being protected from software updates?

U5 - No longer supported
    Monte - uses the upgradesoftware=false on the bootpage
    Prom - uses upgradesoftware=false on the bootpage

Are their any task that have to be done to my tivo before using your scripts? (such as reinstating the original RC.SYS and making sure "updatesoftware=true" is still there?

I do not support or encourage that you hack your original Tivo Drive. Do this at your own risk.

Ideally you should start with a virgin unhacked drive that has the latest software on it. If this is your original Tivo drive, install it as Secondary Master and boot the CD. Run a script, perform backup phase, power off and remove the Original drive and install a new drive in its place Reboot and continue with the Restore, Surgery and Final Phases.

If your virgin unhacked drive is not your original Tivo drive and you do not need to expand it or create swap, then install it as secondary master and boot the CD. Run a script, perform backup phase, reboot, skip restore phase, and continue with the Surgery, and Final Phases.

IF YOU ARE HAVING PROBLEMS, PUT THE DRIVE IN THE TIVO AFTER EACH OF THE 3 PHASES (RESTORE, SURGERY & FINAL) AND TEST IT.

Do I need to allow my never before used HDVR2 to call in before I use this ISO?

You do not have to but it is recommended that you force the daily call and pending restart to upgrade. This way you will have the latest software. All of the scripts prevent the upgrade from happening.

After running the scripts, do I need to reinitialize all my hacks?

Just read the screen as you run the scripts. You will see what hacks are being installed. Afterwards, you can edit the rc.sysinit.author or hackint file and remove anything that you do not want. In the future there may be an option to install each utility/hack. Righ now everything gets installed.

What models do you think this will work with? DirecTivos and Standalones?

The scripts should work on all series 2's. They have been tested on both a prom modded HDVR2 and an unmodded HDVR2. There is an option to copy the ethernet drivers. SA units SHOULD NOT copy the drivers. Also 4.x software must manually patch tivoapp - see posts later in the thread

Do you have a .b image I can install on my new 120 A drive so I don't have to wait for the is happen on its own?

The ISO does not contain any images. It may contain the SA images in the future if they prove to work well on a Direct Tivo. If you want the latest software, force your Tivo to do a daily call.

I have the Model XXXX network adapter, does your script support the driver for this device?

The scripts currently installs the pegasus and ax8817x drivers. Others will be added upon request. Please check the other HOWTO threads to see exactly which devices are supported by each driver.

Does the Fix sub included with this ISO automaticly run using cron once a month to keep my Tivo unit activated?

No. It uses the sleep command and runs once per day. I have worked on using crond which is part of the busybox 1.0 toolkit that I installed. The problem is that it wants to use a spool directory under /var and I am still on the fence about that because /var can (although doesn't happen often) get rebuilt and goodbye cron. Opinions on this are welcome.

All hacks are automaticly installed with the ISO, does this mean that they will automaticaly start when the Tivo unit is booted the first time or do I need to implemet them after installing the hacks?

Everything is implemented in /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.author
    Remove hacks by editing it accordingly. The vi (vim) editor is available over the serial port. Use a terminal like hyperterminal. yyserver must manually be started.
    Last edited by Sleeper; 04-10-2004 at 11:49 PM.

What is the differnece between the standard romfs & the delayed romfs?

The delayed romfs has a 2 second sleep before kmonte.o is loaded and a 2 second sleep before monte is run. If you have the problem posted in this thread, try the delayed romfs. Please post your results.

Can I apply the hacks for a> Larger drive installation (to replace the existing drive)

Yes, that is the only RECOMMENDED method.

Can I gain shell access/tivoweb/exraction...and still keep my existing recordings

No. Currently, the backup does not backup your recordings. Also, the noscramble hack is installed so if you somehow have them, then remove the noscramble hack in your rc.sysinit.author.
    Last edited by Sleeper; 01-12-2004 at 12:29 AM.

KNOWN BUGS/PROBLEMS/STATUS

FIXES
    The ax8817x drivers problem causes the Tivo to continually reboot. The problem is fixed in version 1.01

SA networking firewall issue. The netfilters-disable filter is set to run on bootup in version 1.01

BUGS
    SA Tivoweb does not work. This is a problem with Tivoweb - not the install scripts. Once someone posts a fix it will be incorporated.

Joe editor does not work because it was built with the resources in the /hack directory. Will replace when I get a new build. Until then vi editor works. Anyone have it?

RECOMMENDATIONS
    Make sure that you start with your ORIGINAL hard drive

Make sure that the drive has the LATEST software version and is completely UNHACKED.

Make sure that the unit is subbed and the DVR service is working.

Make sure that your original drive is not a restore of a previous backup. Something is very funny about backing up and restoring a drive that has already been restored with mfsbackup. I can't put my finger on it but I think that the swap gets messed up.

Do not perform the restore to your ORIGINAL hard drive.

Version history

Version 1.0
    1) Removed U5 script.
    2) Fixed CallFixSub
    3) Allow restore to exact same size drive as backup (NOT SUPPORTED)
    4) Added 4 phases - Backup, Restore, Surgery & Hacks
    Any phase can be performed or skipped provided that a backup was performed.
    5) Alldeadhomiez runmonte fix applied and new romfs
    6) Option to install the standard romfs or the delayed romfs.
    7) Option for SA users to skip copying ethernet drivers.

Version 1.01 is released!
    1) Fixed SA networking.
    2) Fixed ax8817x driver
    3) Fixed kmem for SA units

Thanks to the beta testers!
    Last edited by Sleeper; 11-06-2003 at 09:07 PM.

HOW TO REPORT A PROBLEM

Please post problems to this thread. Please answer the following questions when posting. If the questions are not answered your post will be ignored and a request will be made to have it deleted.

1.) What script did you run? Prom or Monte?

2.) If you ran the Prom script, who soldered your prom into your Tivo?

3.) What model is your unit?

4.) How big is the original hard drive?

5.) Is or has your original hard drive been hacked before.

6.) Have you ever performed a mfsrestore to your original hard drive?

7.) What version of software is running on your original hard drive?

8. ) Has your box been subbed, receiving DVR service and DTV if it's a DTivo?

9.) What size is the drive that your are restoring to?

10.) Were there any error messages when running the scripts and exactly what did they say. If you are not sure then perform the entire operation again before posting.

11.) Include the text captured from your terminal (hyperterminal) where the error occurred in your post.

12.) Did you spill coffee on your Tivo while you had it open? Just kidding?

13.) Did you test the drive in your tivo after the RESTORE phase and before the SURGERY phase? Did it work?

14.) Did you test the drive in your tivo after the SURGERY phase and before the FINAL (HACKS) phase? Did it work?

15.) What model USB newtork adapter are you using?

16) Which network drivers did you choose to install?
    Last edited by Sleeper; 01-12-2004 at 12:23 AM.

FAQ part 5
    Last edited by Sleeper; 11-06-2003 at 06:25 PM.

Great WORK...

I have had the oppurtunity to take a look at the pre-release ISO and I have to say this is one GREAT piece of work.

Thanks Sleeper.
    Four Hacked HDVR2's,
    One Still slightly confused Hacker,
    4 dogs, 8 cats, and 1 wife that is happy as long as I don't screw up her TiVo ...... Oh yeah two grandchildren that are the light of my life!

sweeeeeeeeeet!

badass, all i have to say is BADASS! i spoke with sleeper on the phone today, great guy great intentions and i love what he is doing for the community!

Quits when replacing initrd

I tried it 3 times and it always quits back to the main menu with no error or warning when it gets to the part where it replaces initrd on /dev/hdc3, there is a message for a split second but too fast to read it and then it goes back to the main menu. When I try the drive in the Tivo it gets to the almost there message and reboots, forever.

got mine up and running. anyone know if the tivo itself gets married to your card? im trying to swap cards and when i do it says you have inserted the wrong access card.

all i have to say is sleepers program is great for newbies. i ran it and backed up my original 35 hour, put in a 80 gig and i am up and running. the only problem i ran into was the no call scripts. and that was because i never called in on the tivo. the tivo has to make the first phone call in to activate the dvr service. if you cant monte with sleepers iso, then you need to put your beer down and sober up.

Very nice piece of work - many thanks on behalf of everyone.
    I'm running the Monte on an HDVR2. I performed the hacks manually, but tried your ISO and it's great. I do believe people should learn how and why monte works, but a script like your's allows them to see the final result. I have no doubt that once people know they can hack their TIVO, and see the functionality firsthand, they will delve deeper into learning how to do further hacking and maintenance on theirs also. We may also gain some good minds into the community which will benefit everyone. People will be less afraid to take the first step and tinker if they know they can always fall back on a system such as the one you have developed. Again, thanks.

So far 3 people have reported problems.

I have attempted to contact on person several time without any success so I can't ascertain what the problem is.

The second person is attempting to use his original drive.

The third case is most puzzling.

It involves a Series 2 SA running 4.0.1 software. (Original Tivo drive os 60G) I am confident that the user performed the steps properly. When his system boots it spits out the following on the console:

Scan /mnt/etc/rc.d
    Scan /mnt/initrd
    Scan /mnt/lib
    Scan /mnt/lost+found
    Scan /mnt/mnt
    Scan /mnt/sbin
    Scan /mnt/var
    The filesystem seems to be OK
    Scanner main is done
    VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem) readonly.
    change_root: old root has d_count=3
    Freeing unused kernel memory: 60k freed
    monte: Two-kernel Monte for MIPS (Version 0.1)
    monte: MuscleNerd (MIPS version), Erik Arjan Hendriks (x86 version)
    Unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual address 24020600, epc == c0000
    490, ra == c00008d4
    Oops in fault.c:do_page_fault, line 172:
    $0 : 00000000 b0019400 00001000 24020600
    $4 : 24c69ee4 8153cf10 00000000 00000020
    $8 : 00001000 801d32a0 00000000 3c018017
    $12: ac26eef8 81513c14 000000ff 8000ffe0
    $16: 8000ff30 80010000 0000e000 00190563
    $20: 00001000 c000045c fffff000 00000003
    $24: 00000000 00000001
    $28: 81512000 81513e60 c000045c c00008d4
    epc : c0000490
    Cause : 80000008
    Process monte (pid: 13, stackpage=81512000)
    Stack: 801d32a0 ffffffea ffffffff 8000f000 ffffffff 80010000 c00008d4 803
    00000003 800486a4 801d32a0 8035c000 00000000 801d32c0 ffffffff c000045c
    c0000848 c0000010 fffffff2 800fad50 c000045c 00000041 c0000ec4 00000000
    00000006 801d6000 00400b1c 80047cd0 100000e8 00000003 00000000 2ab03a40
    00401100 7fff7d6c 0040068c 00000006 00400b1c 1000d40c 00000000 1000d28c
    7fff7cc0 ...
    Trace: c0000490 c00008d4 c0000ec4 8001c68c 8001cc64 2abe332c
    Code: 10910005 00608021 8c630008 <5460fffc> 8c640000 00008021 12000007 0000
    0000 8e020004
    Kernel panic: Die call

Rebooting in 1 seconds..

Here's the funny part. The script does a mfsbackup of his original drive. I downloaded his backup, ran the script with his backup and monted onto a 137.4 GB drive. (He is using a 120G drive). I put the drive into my HDVR2 and yo and behold it booted just fine. I was suprised to see the SA software boot on my HDVR2.

I then had him extract his initrd nulled kernel and I installed it onto my monted drive made from his image. That worked as well.

He also was able to boot his 120G drive after the restore and before it was monted.

Suggestions welcome.

Sleeper

The guy that is Monteing his original drive is experiencing the same error. He is a HDVR2 running 3.1.0. Here's his output:

The filesystem seems to be OK
    Scanner main is done
    VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem) readonly.
    change_root: old root has d_count=3
    Freeing unused kernel memory: 60k freed
    monte: Two-kernel Monte for MIPS (Version 0.1)
    monte: MuscleNerd (MIPS version), Erik Arjan Hendriks (x86 version)
    Unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual address 3c048010, epc == c0000
    490, ra == c00008d4
    Oops in fault.c:do_page_fault, line 172:
    $0 : 00000000 b0019400 00001000 3c048010
    $4 : 27bdffe8 83dfdf20 00000000 00000020
    $8 : 00001000 8014d2a0 00000000 24840054
    $12: 8c820004 83e3dc14 000000ff 8000efe0
    $16: 8000ef40 8000f000 0000d000 001b5d65
    $20: 00001000 c000045c fffff000 00000003
    $24: 00000000 83dfdf30
    $28: 83e3c000 83e3de60 c000045c c00008d4
    epc : c0000490
    Cause : 80000008
    Process monte (pid: 13, stackpage=83e3c000)
    Stack: 8014d2a0 ffffffea ffffffff 8000e000 ffffffff 8000f000 c00008d4 8000f000
    00000003 800486a4 8014d2a0 8000f000 00000000 8014d2c0 ffffffff c000045c
    00000006 8014e000 00400b1c 80047cd0 100000e8 00000003 00000000 00000000
    7fff7cc0 ...
    0000 8e020004
    Kernel panic: Die called

Originally posted by Sleeper
    Process monte (pid: 13, stackpage=83e3c000)
    Stack: 8014d2a0 ffffffea ffffffff 8000e000 ffffffff 8000f000 c00008d4 8000f000
    00000003 800486a4 8014d2a0 8000f000 00000000 8014d2c0 ffffffff c000045c
    00000006 8014e000 00400b1c 80047cd0 100000e8 00000003 00000000 00000000
    7fff7cc0 ...
    0000 8e020004
    Kernel panic: Die called
    I've run into this before. I believe that invoking monte with, say "exec /mnt/bin/monte $ARGS" instead of just "/mnt/bin/monte $ARGS" fixed it for me, and that changing innocuous things in the chainloader script caused it to come and go if I did not use "exec." YMMV.