Page 2 of 129 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: (DEPRECATED) SLEEPER ISO - Series 2 Scripts for U5, Monte and Prom with many hacks

Call In

Do I need to allow my never been used HDVR2 to call in befor I use this ISO?

yes

have it call in and see if it takes an update, force the call several times. then backup and monte!

Originally posted by alldeadhomiez
    I've run into this before. I believe that invoking monte with, say "exec /mnt/bin/monte $ARGS" instead of just "/mnt/bin/monte $ARGS" fixed it for me, and that changing innocuous things in the chainloader script caused it to come and go if I did not use "exec." YMMV.
    I modified the runmonte script to include exec. Unfortunately it did not cure the problem.

I am using alldeadhomiez 31u5 miminal root file system. I had to put insmod and bootpage in it for monte. The fs is still under 4M.

The "exec" runs it in a different process. So I was wondering if it is a timing thing. Perhaps calling monte right after insmod kmonte.o is the problem. Or perhaps the kernel memory that is freed is not really free yet. So I went ahead and modified the runmonte script. I put sleep 2 in front of and after insmod kmonte.o. This required rebuilding the minimal fs with sleep and a few modules. I also built a new monte_romfs. I tested it out and here is the output when monte loads:

VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem) readonly.
    change_root: old root has d_count=3
    Freeing unused kernel memory: 60k freed
    Entering Monte
    Sleeping for 2 seconds
    insmod kmonte.o
    monte: Two-kernel Monte for MIPS (Version 0.1)
    monte: MuscleNerd (MIPS version), Erik Arjan Hendriks (x86 version)
    insmod kmonte.o done
    sleeping for 2 seconds
    Starting monte
    monte: loaded kernel image (target load_addr=0x80002000, len=0x1b5d65) at 0x83e8
    f000
    monte: total pages used: 439 for image, 2 for indirect tables, 1 for reload code
    Loading R5432 MMU routines.

I don't know if this will work but it's worth a try. It will at least indicate if the problem is insmoding kmonte.o or monte.

Sleeper

Good News

The sleep and exec statements that I put in runmonte seemed to have cured the problem for the person that was monte-ing his SA unit.

How do you spell monte-ing? or is it monteing?

The other 2 people having a problem are currently testing the latest ISO.
    Last edited by Sleeper; 11-05-2003 at 12:17 PM.

Thumbs up

I'm the guy with the monte-ing standalone, and it's working great! I just wanted to commend Sleeper. His script is AWESOME, and he put a LOT of effort yesterday and today into figuring out what was going wrong with my box. Thanks so much for all your hard work!

Looking for site to host ISO

I'm looking for someone that has some bandwidth that is interested in hosting the ISO.

Thanks,

Sleeper

DSR7000

Has anyone with a DSR7000 gotten this to work?

Sleeper--I've already monted my unit so this is a suggestion not a request: Why don't you put a backup of the b version on the CD? Someone could use your CD to prepare a new drive before even opening up the unit.

Originally posted by newbie
    Sleeper--I've already monted my unit so this is a suggestion not a request: Why don't you put a backup of the b version on the CD? Someone could use your CD to prepare a new drive before even opening up the unit.
    Although that would work, there is nothing to be gained by doing it. The scripts walk you through each step as though you were typing them in yourself.

Yes, hacking a Tivo is not easy for everyone and the average person should not have to spend weeks learning unix before they are successful. Especially Monte.

On the other hand, they should have some idea and interest in what's going on. Otherwise they should just pay someone to hack it for them.

The scrips are a compromise between a "quick fix" as you suggested and a "hard time". I also agree with slim69's comments in this thread. Basically, the scripts will help a newbie become more comfortable at hacking his Tivo and will help himto grow.

Thanks for your suggestion.

WOW!!!

All I can say its that this worked perfectly the first time. It couldn't be easier and I feel that I learned more with it than I would have without it. I found some of the steps that I was missing in my previous attempts and it explained alot more of why we were doing this step.

Now I just need to learn how to use the bash and take full advantage of this. Time to read up!!!

Thank you Sleeper for a great piece of work. All I can say is that if a dealer gets their hands on this it could be scary. You might want to protect your hard work.

Thanks again and I will keep you posted on any new findings.

Anyone who is having trouble getting the HDVR2 up with monte needs to look into this ISO.

Thanks!!!

Harry

Well, The newest ISO is TIGHT!! It takes about 15 min total to run the scripts. Itís obvious that Sleeper has put so much of his blood into this. The script couldnít be simpler to use. (It only asks twice for user input, both questions are network related.)And you have the choice of flying through it or reading the explanations for each step (heaven forbid you learn something!!). This is a work of art. Many hackers will praise sleepers name for a long time.

MrYuk

Looks like my answer!

Series 2 Scripts for U5, Monte and Prom with many hacks ISO

I have read this post and It looks to me that this is the way I would like to go. Im hoping that I can get a copy of this Zip.

I have spent ( For Real ) 3 days trying to do this my self, and I have gotten everything to work but the USB port. Oh well.

So I'm in your hands, thanks.

R.

Some strage issues

2 Issues: 1st, bash is only displaying garbage. No usable text. Was working with previously userland hack. I had my mainboard prom hacked recently and needed to rebuild system. This looked like a great way to try it.
    2nd, system reboots after "A few more seconds" screen.
    I wonder if this is related to the ethernet drivers issue others were having? I need the ax8817x drivers for my Linksys USB 200M
    Must I have 3.1b to use this??? I have forced several calls to no avail. I guess my unit is just not ready for updating. There does not appear to be any other way to get the software.

1.) What model is your unit?
    HDVR2

2.) How big is the original hard drive?
    40GB

3.) Is or has your original hard drive been hacked before.
    No

4.) Have you ever performed a mfsrestore to your original hard drive?
    No

5.) What version of software is running on your original hard drive?

6. ) Has your box been subbed, receiving DVR service and DTV if it's a DTivo?
    No. Brand new, not setup yet.

7.) What size is the drive that your are restoring to?
    WD 120GB

8.) Were there any error messages when running the scripts and exactly what did they say. If you are not sure then perform the entire operation again before posting.
    No errors

9.) Include the text captured from your terminal (hyperterminal) where the error occurred in your post.
    All garbage. Used 9600,8,N,1 no flow. Tried a few other settings. This worked fine on previous userland bash hack.

10.) Did you spill coffee on your Tivo while you had it open? Just kidding?

11.) Did you test the drive in your tivo after the RESTORE phase and before the SURGERY phase? Did it work?
    Yes. Worked fine.

12.) Did you test the drive in your tivo after the SURGERY phase and before the FINAL (HACKS) phase? Did it work?
    Yes. System worked fine but bash only displays garbage on HyperTerminal.
    Last edited by relay; 11-05-2003 at 02:35 PM.

Additional Hacks

How do you install additional hacks after using this ISO?

Re: Some strage issues

relay,

Thank you for providing all the pertanent information and not PM'ing me.

2 Issues: 1st, bash is only displaying garbage. No usable text. Was working with previously userland hack. I had my mainboard prom hacked recently and needed to rebuild system. This looked like a great way to try it.

Are you setting your terminal program up for 115,200 baud, No parity, 8 data bits and 1 parity bit - No flow control?

2nd, system reboots after "A few more seconds" screen.
    I wonder if this is related to the ethernet drivers issue others were having? I need the ax8817x drivers for my Linksys USB 200M

Try using the pegasus drivers, I'm working on tracking down the problem with the ax8817x driver. This could be your problem. Also try booting after the Surgery phase and without performing the final Phase.

Must I have 3.1b to use this??? I have forced several calls to no avail. I guess my unit is just not ready for updating. There does not appear to be any other way to get the software.

No you don't need 3.1b, but since software upgrades are prevented it is advised. 3.1 has been tested and works as well.

6. ) Has your box been subbed, receiving DVR service and DTV if it's a DTivo?
    No. Brand new, not setup yet.

This has not been tested. One of the original 3 people was unsuccessful mont'ing an unsubbed box. Although he was mont'ing his original drive (mot recommended)

9.) Include the text captured from your terminal (hyperterminal) where the error occurred in your post.

Change setting and repost error message.

12.) Did you test the drive in your tivo after the SURGERY phase and before the FINAL (HACKS) phase? Did it work?
    Yes. System worked fine but bash only displays garbage on HyperTerminal.

Diagnosis: Problem with ethernet drivers, Serial port not properly configured on terminal.

Temporary fix: try the pegaus driver or comment out the appropriate lines is rc.sysinit.author