Page 13 of 129 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113 ... LastLast

Thread: (DEPRECATED) SLEEPER ISO - Series 2 Scripts for U5, Monte and Prom with many hacks

Invalid IP Address

Tivoscripts1_01 ISO is excellent. I have been reading for several weeks and I was overwhelmed at the prospect of upgrading my new DTivo. When I found the Sleeper post I was jazzed about the project and got to work. Unfortunately I have an invalid IP address problem which I have not yet been able to find clues about by searching this excellent forum.

My DSR7000 boots and seems to function perfectly. I am using a NetGear FA120 USB 2.0 Fast Ethernet Adapter with a lovely light that comes on about halfway through the DTivo boot cycle. I have tested both DTivo USB ports. I have tested with a direct connection using crossover cable to multiple machines. The WinXP machines see the network connection but identify it as an “invalid IP address” at first and then later resolve the address as 169.254.xxx.xxx. The 169.254.xxx.xxx address can be pinged but is otherwise useless.

I programmed the IP 192.168.1.150, Broadcast 192.168.1.255, Netmask 255.255.255.0, and Def Gate 192.168.1.1. The 192.168.1.150 address cannot be communicated with on any port.

Any clues on what I might have done wrong? I have a serial cable in the mail so I don’t have it in hand yet for troubleshooting.

If I have posted in the wrong section please accept my apologies. I thought this to be the most relevant place to post.

1.) What model is your unit?
    DSR7000

2.) How big is the original hard drive?
    40 GB

3.) Is or has your original hard drive been hacked before.
    No

4.) Have you ever performed a mfsrestore to your original hard drive?
    No

5.) What version of software is running on your original hard drive?

6. ) Has your box been subbed, receiving DVR service and DTV if it's a DTivo?
    Not yet

7.) What size is the drive that your are restoring to?
    120 GB Seagate

8.) Were there any error messages when running the scripts and exactly what did they say. If you are not sure then perform the entire operation again before posting.

The scripts and hardware worked perfectly. There were no errors

9.) Include the text captured from your terminal (hyperterminal) where the error occurred in your post.
    This is my problem. Can’t talk to the box. My serial cable is on the way.

10.) Did you spill coffee on your Tivo while you had it open? Just kidding?
    .2 liters of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, to christen her

11.) Did you test the drive in your tivo after the RESTORE phase and before the SURGERY phase? Did it work?
    No need to as she works like a champ, other than invalid IP address

12.) Did you test the drive in your tivo after the SURGERY phase and before the FINAL (HACKS) phase? Did it work?
    No need to as she works like a champ, other than invalid IP address

Do you have a router connected between your DTivo and your PC? If so then you need to make sure your default gateway IP matches that of the router. It's the same address specified in the manual for connecting to the setup screen of the router via ethernet connection. The broadcast IP is the same address with a 255 at the end.

If you don't have a router and are connecting to a hub or switch, I'm not sure if you need to specify a broadcast IP or default gateway. Networking isn't my strong suit but it seems to me that if you don't have a router then these IP addresses are meaningless and may end up causing more harm than good (or possibly have no affect at all). Keep in mind that this is purely conjecture on my part and I'm just thinking out loud so don't take any of this as gospel. I'm sure someone with the right know-how will point you in the right direction.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

Thanks for the reply captain_video. I am not using a router at this time. I am trying to direct connect to a WinXP PC via a crossover cable to test the DTivo before implementing a wireless G router setup. Thank you for pointing out I need to match my routers default gateway. This is what I have read and have set.

Re: Invalid IP Address

Originally posted by Magnifico
    The WinXP machines see the network connection but identify it as an “invalid IP address” at first and then later resolve the address as 169.254.xxx.xxx. The 169.254.xxx.xxx address can be pinged but is otherwise useless.

I programmed the IP 192.168.1.150, Broadcast 192.168.1.255, Netmask 255.255.255.0, and Def Gate 192.168.1.1. The 192.168.1.150 address cannot be communicated with on any port.

PC IP: 169.254.xxx.xxx network 169.254.xxx.0
    TIVO IP: 192.168.1.150 network 192.168.1.0

The PC's IP is a default IP address that Windoze gives to the machine when no DHCP server is found. You need to configure a static IP address for your PC on the same network as your Tivo. So your PC should be something like 192.168.1.2, netmask 255.255.255.0 Unless you have a router/gateway to the outside world you do not need a default route. In this case I usually set it to the broadcast address 192.168.1.255 - which will cause no harm at all.

Re: Re: Re: Just a quick suggestion

Originally posted by David Bought
    True, BUT you can save a small amount of boot time (on the order of a few seconds) by using the minimal root filesystem without monte. Obviously you need to pivot or chroot to start tivoapp.
    What's even better is my prom modded boxes that boot the stock kernel with no initrd check.

Originally posted by Mighty LoPan
    But back to the real topic here. I've been thinking about the advantage and disadvantage of Sleeper's ISO. It's easy to use, however, it also means that people will have a custom setup without having any idea of how it works. Don't get me wrong, it's a great system, but I think it would be nice to have more of a tutorial feel to it as an option for those who want to know why things are set up as they are. It could explain things like what the rc.sysinit.author file is and when it gets executed - just little hints to put people on the right track towards understanding how it all hangs together.

EDIT: I just noticed that captain_video had a similar idea a few pages back.
    Anyone that wants to go through each of the steps and create a simple text file in unix format is welcome to. I will include the text files in the next release so that it is displayed on the console before the command is echoed.

Q1:
    BUGS
    SA Tivoweb does not work. This is a problem with Tivoweb - not the install scripts. Once someone posts a fix it will be incorporated.
    Has this been fixed yet? I am about to test the waters with your ISO disc, sounds like its the s%^t!

Thanks for putting that together. Like so many others here, I have spent far too much time reading/searching for enough info to do this.

Q2: I had another question, you mentioned some things about serial connections, but not much about the existing ethernet. I have a SA S2 Tvio 60hr (140060) running 4.0.1 and have the HMO running fine.

Is there anything in your auto-process I should watch out for, or things that I can skip beacuse of already having 'somewhat' of a connection? I can already ping my tivo from my home computer, but that's all it'll let me do at this point. I'm expecting (being a newbie) that I'm going to have to use the serial connection since that's what all the instructions seem to be using around here.

Q3: Last question, I am using the 1/8" phono jack to serial cable that came with my tivo to connect to the input on my cable box (for channel switching) I'm assuming I can use this cable for serial data connections between my tivo and PC (if needed)?

Thanks so much for helping so many people out.
    Ken

4.0 Status Update

Well, here goes nothing.

Why i'm doing this: Hard drive crashed:

Since when I was using cobelli's guide (for the second time) - a lot of the paths were wrong, and it was late, I just decided to put the original backup from CD onto the new drive and stuff it in there and be able to watch tv.

Tonight, came home, open a bottle of wine, and proceed to take the drive out again.

Reading through the ISO thread here, and noting a few steps, "clear and delete everything, yes, ok" etc.

Well, I download the 4.0 image, copy it to the /mnt/c drive, and then mfs restore it to the Tivo HD.

Install the drive in the tivo to see how it's going. it boots! yeah.

Start the Satellite setup -(HDVR2) and it gets stuck at 28%. i remember reading stuff about this, well, i let it stay for a bit, have dinner, and some more wine.

Still 28% after 30 mins. I pull the power, and let it reboot, it does back into the sat setup. This time it buzzed right on by 28% and completed.

Set up the network with the IP address that I'm used to, and that works. Says the network succeeded.

However, I could not watch LIVE tv. so I initiate the Clear and Delete everything it's running now.

I haven't let it phone home yet.

Originally posted by mr_dickles
    Has this been fixed yet? I am about to test the waters with your ISO disc, sounds like its the s%^t!

Not to my knowledge. You and other SA owners may want to plead with the tivoweb developer. I recently started another thread about this. SEARCH Perhaps you will give fixing it a stab.

Is there anything in your auto-process I should watch out for, or things that I can skip beacuse of already having 'somewhat' of a connection?

When you are asked what type of unit choose the SA option for networking. You will be prompted for IP address info. If you do not want a static IP address (you are using DHCP) you will have to edit rc.sysinit.author and comment out the appropriate lines by deleting them or palcing a # in front of them.

I'm expecting (being a newbie) that I'm going to have to use the serial connection since that's what all the instructions seem to be using around here.

Serial is not necessairly necessary. However if you can not telnet to the box or it does not boot then you will definately need on to figure out what is wrong.

I am using the 1/8" phono jack to serial cable that came with my tivo to connect to the input on my cable box (for channel switching) I'm assuming I can use this cable for serial data connections between my tivo and PC (if needed)?

I can not make that same assumption because I never had/used that cable. Perhaps someone else with a SA unit can help.

ALSO, YOU WILL HAVE TO MANUALLY PATCH TIVO APP FOR NOSCRAMBLE OR COMMENT OUT THE KMEM LINE IN RC.SYSINIT.AUTHOR
    Last edited by Sleeper; 11-20-2003 at 10:00 PM.

Re: 4.0 Status Update

Originally posted by mavrcksd
    4.0 status update

Although some have figured out how to use the scripts without having an original image, it is a feature that is not currently supported. There are several other threads on this topic that would make a better forum. I just don't want to promote using the scripts for something that they are not CURRENTLY designed for.

TivoWeb on 4.X

Apparently, TivoWeb fixes for 4.x have been discovered. If someone gets them working please let me know and I will incorporate the fixes.

http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...hes#post129665

Well:

4.0 is in and running.

I dont have my local channels yet, but hopefully with what someone else posted in this thread, they should be there in the morning, it's busy rebuiilding it's guide data anyway.

Hmmm manuf says COMCAST and Series2 how cute.

Everything locked in, and my showtime and HBO are there, that's all good.

I have sound, picture, and BASH!

However, my MFS_FTP wont work - it's launched, however, I'm going to replace the binaries.

One thing, i was looking for the partition for the hacks, and they are under usr, and the /var/hack directory only has a log folder.

Oh well.. I'll get that stuff working.

and JOE wasn't installed in /var/hack/ I have to track that down.

I can find my way around now, that I have BASH! thanks Sleeper!!!!!

I recognized all the commands that it was doing, and thank god for the auto bootpage lines. those were nasty little buggers to figure out and type in correctly manually!!!

More later...

Well:

4.0 is in and running.

I dont have my local channels yet, but hopefully with what someone else posted in this thread, they should be there in the morning, it's busy rebuiilding it's guide data anyway.

Hmmm manuf says COMCAST and Series2 how cute.

Everything locked in, and my showtime and HBO are there, that's all good.

I have sound, picture, and BASH!

However, my MFS_FTP wont work - it's launched, however, I'm going to replace the binaries.

One thing, i was looking for the partition for the hacks, and they are under usr, and the /var/hack directory only has a log folder.

Oh well.. I'll get that stuff working.

and JOE wasn't installed in /var/hack/ I have to track that down.

I can find my way around now, that I have BASH! thanks Sleeper!!!!!

I recognized all the commands that it was doing, and thank god for the auto bootpage lines. those were nasty little buggers to figure out and type in correctly manually!!!

More later...

Thankyou for responding to my post Sleeper. I found something which talks about patching the tivoapp, it's step 3 in this thread:
    http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...+patch+tivoapp

There seemed to be a link in there to a 4.01 file location on a nother thread, but other than that, should I be good to go just by patching the tivoapp and ignre the rc.sysinit stuff?

Thnx.

Originally posted by mr_dickles
    There seemed to be a link in there to a 4.01 file location on a nother thread, but other than that, should I be good to go just by patching the tivoapp and ignre the rc.sysinit stuff?
    Thnx.

On the 4.x software you must do 2 things.

1) Patch kernel or run kmem. The scripts correctly install kmem. Kernel patch in next major release.

2) Patch tivoapp. The scripts do not currently patch tivoapp. ( I had to leave something up to you) Next major release will patch tivoapp as well.