Page 103 of 129 FirstFirst ... 35393101102103104105113 ... LastLast
Results 1,531 to 1,545 of 1931

Thread: (DEPRECATED) SLEEPER ISO - Series 2 Scripts for U5, Monte and Prom with many hacks

Quote Originally Posted by BTUx9
    I think the first step would be to get the serial connection working properly.... you're absolutely sure you're plugged into the correct connection on the tivo, and that you're monitoring the right serial port on your PC at 115200, no flow control?
    Yes. I am plugged into the "serial" vs. "ir" port and setup the comms. I am using hyperterminal should I try something else?

I just pulled the drive. The Ip stuff was exactly as I thought I had typed it in. The lines in rc.sysinit.author (partition 7) are:

ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.200 broadcast 192.168.1.255 netmask 255.255.255.0
    route add default gw 192.168.1.1 netmask 0.0.0.0 metric 1

I am not sure what "metric" is.

Additional info:
    I am using the ax drivers for the Linksys USB200M network adapter. It is lighting up, so I am making a big assumption it is talking to the network...

I did try to change my dialing prefix to ,#401. But tivo says cannot get a connection and won't let me make the change perminant.

I will now put the drive back in and give serial port another try.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks for your help. :-)
    Camino

Quote Originally Posted by CaminoFrancisco
    Any other suggestions?
    Since the usb200m lights up, the hacks are definitely being run.
    If you can't get your serial connection active, try a different network cable, and plugging it into a different port on your switch/hub/whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by BTUx9
    Since the usb200m lights up, the hacks are definitely being run.
    If you can't get your serial connection active, try a different network cable, and plugging it into a different port on your switch/hub/whatever.
    Well I can't believe it. My laptop serial port is defunct. I moved over my desktop, connected up and viola. Well we now have BASH!!! Sweet!

Now, I need to figure out why the network isn't comming up. Here is the only reference to network I could see in the startup (you'll notice I changes to x.x.x.300 just to try):

192.168.1.300: Unknown host
    Usage: ifconfig [-a] [-i] [-v] interface
    [[family] address]
    [[-]broadcast [aa.bb.cc.dd]]
    [[-]pointopoint [aa.bb.cc.dd]]
    [netmask aa.bb.cc.dd]
    [dstaddr aa.bb.cc.dd]
    [hw class address]
    [metric NN] [mtu NN]
    [[-]trailers] [[-]arp]
    [[-]allmulti] [[-]promisc]
    [multicast]
    [mem_start NN] [io_addr NN] [irq NN]
    [media type]
    [up] [down] ...
    SIOCADDRT: Network is unreachable
    /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.author: cd: /usr/mfs_ftp: No such file or directory
    /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.author: /usr/mfs_ftp/mfs_ftp.tcl: No such file or directory

There is no /usr/mfs_ftp directory, but I remember reading it was not included in the 1.02 release of sleeper.

What commands should I run to determine if/why my network is/isn't loaded?

Thanks,
    Camino

.300?
    You've got a mistype there, IP addresses only go to 255.
    Have a peek at your rc file and drop about 50 IPs from that one.

Sky

Quote Originally Posted by CaminoFrancisco
    Well I can't believe it. My laptop serial port is defunct. I moved over my desktop, connected up and viola. Well we now have BASH!!! Sweet!
    Just a few posts back I posted this:
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper
    Try another pc. Also, I have seen reports of the "short test" passing but the 1/8 inch adapter still being badl. You may also want to go to Radio Shack and get a RS232 breakout tester with LEDS to check your serial connection.
    What I am saying here is that there is just a little too much hand holding and not enough research.

Camino, all the answers to figuring out why your network is not working are here in this thread. Just use the advanced search tool. Also, try to think out the boot process (Read you rc.sysinit.author file) and then manually duplicate the networking steps. More than likely you will see your error.

4.01b SA tivo 40hr TCD240040

hi

Has this definitively worked with 4.01b?

I've read quite a few problems, like:
    'Sleeper writes 2.4.4 kernel drivers over the 2.4.18 ones, causing a reboot'
    monte.o kernel errors during bootup
    tivoweb not working after install (Do we just put up TWPlus?)
    mfs_ftp - use a different kit, not the one in 1.01
    noscramble - take out kmem option, put in noscramble 2

Also, - 4.01b allows a network adapter, doesn't it? Mine is even using the
    network adapter for daily calls over network instead of phone without #,401

Am I missing anything else?

Well, I am really glad I never claimed to be a network guy . Even though I haven't tried it yet (will try after work today), I expect the problem will turn out to be the assigning of 300 as my IP address (192.168.1.300). Thank you Sky12! I would not even had thought to look there, simply out of ignorance.

Sleeper your post is the reason I tried another computer. I know I would not have tried another one if I had I not seen that post as I did get a solid test using the "short test." So in this case your hand-holding payed off -- Thanks! And thank you for such a great script -- and for your patience. I have read within this thread your answering the same questions over and over with significant patience.

Thank you BTUx9! Your replies keep me in the game. And not discouraged.

I'll report tonight on my success (I hope).

Camino

Can someone tell me

Why http://alt.org/wiki/index.php/Sleeper?version=2 is making diparaging remarks about Sleeper in the wiki??? Probably wrong place to post but figured this would get the quickest reaction to why peeps are slamming Sleeper. Coulld be a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by geminicat
    Why http://alt.org/wiki/index.php/Sleeper?version=2 is making diparaging remarks about Sleeper in the wiki??? Probably wrong place to post but figured this would get the quickest reaction to why peeps are slamming Sleeper. Coulld be a joke.
    It's no joke.
    It's also the second time this individual has posted derogatory comments, the first time was on the TivoScripts wiki page itself.
    Apparently, it's a coward who has to hide behind a redirected account, rather than admit to his sophomoric, puerile comments. (check the IP)

As to reasons, I have several theories... I'll post them on http://alt.org/wiki/index.php/SleeperAttackReasons
    but make sure they are posted by me, cowards have been known to change wiki text with anonymous posts trying to make people believe their posts are from the original author.

I feel any further discussion of this should be on that wiki page or elsewhere, but not in the forum (except maybe the sewer) and definitely not in this thread.
    Last edited by BTUx9; 06-28-2004 at 10:14 PM.

Thank you all

I am sitting very happy now. The networking problem is in my (ignorant) past, I have all telnet, FTP, Tytools, and TivoWeb access. I am in 7th heaven.

Sleeper, thank you for making this script available to the masses.

To the rest of the thread readers and especially those who tossed in some helpfull hinds and directions -- Thank you.

An excellent hobby with excellent forum members.

Camino

Quote Originally Posted by philhu
    hi

Has this definitively worked with 4.01b?

I've read quite a few problems, like:
    'Sleeper writes 2.4.4 kernel drivers over the 2.4.18 ones, causing a reboot'
    monte.o kernel errors during bootup
    tivoweb not working after install (Do we just put up TWPlus?)
    mfs_ftp - use a different kit, not the one in 1.01
    noscramble - take out kmem option, put in noscramble 2

Also, - 4.01b allows a network adapter, doesn't it? Mine is even using the
    network adapter for daily calls over network instead of phone without #,401

Am I missing anything else?
    I have Monted a SA 4.01b with Sleepers and it works fine. However, you do have to follow the instructions and other posts, which you summarized above. Sleepers was originally written for a different system, and some of the software it installs (eg TW) have been replaced by newer versions.

Quote Originally Posted by dishman
    I have Monted a SA 4.01b with Sleepers and it works fine. However, you do have to follow the instructions and other posts, which you summarized above. Sleepers was originally written for a different system, and some of the software it installs (eg TW) have been replaced by newer versions.
    Ok, so it works.

Does it overwrite the 2.4.18 drivers? If so, and you need to put them back, how do you do it since it causes a reboot, over and over?

TW I know about, just remove it and run twp, correct?

How about the monte kernel errors, does that happen? I know I need to remove the kmem line in rc.sysinit.author, does that fix that one?

And I know the mfs_ftp one is removed in 1.02, and I've gathered the correct pieces.

And finally, can a monte'd tivo still get guide/hmo stuff from the tivo mothership? The unit is subscribed....

Does it overwrite the 2.4.18 drivers? If so, and you need to put them back, how do you do it since it causes a reboot, over and over?
    Not if you select "Stand Alone.." when it asks you what drivers to install. (Selecting stand-alone tells it that you will be using the built-in drivers and it won't copy/setup any new ones during the process.) Otherwise, since the drive is still in your PC at this point, you could just go in & fix things before you put it back in the Tivo if you messed up somehow.

And finally, can a monte'd tivo still get guide/hmo stuff from the tivo mothership? The unit is subscribed....
    Yes.

-psxboy
    TCD652160 TivoHD
    1TB
    11.0m-01-2-652

Tivoscripts mistake, by me, HELP please

I know it was a stupid mistake.
    My buddy brought a New Phillips DTIVO HD, I was supposed to image the drive, put it on a new drive and give to him to test, when he came back I would run the hacks on etc...
    Anyways, I was in the middle of rebuilding my S1 tivo Drive, so I restored the image the computer booted off. Well, when my buddy brought his drive I plugged it all in and rebooted, without paying attention Tivoscripst booted up to load the "initrd", because i was not paying attention I hit enter and it loaded it in to the other TIVO, now neither his original drive or the backed up dirve work on his Tivo.

It is a DSR704 Phillips DTivo.

Anyway to fix this?

I will have the DTivo model number as soon as he calls me back with it.

Thanks
    Last edited by limai; 06-30-2004 at 05:11 PM.

Make sure that your original drive is not a restore of a previous backup. Something is very funny about backing up and restoring a drive that has already been restored with mfsbackup. I can't put my finger on it but I think that the swap gets messed up.
    Ok, I was just about to apply hacks to a restored image when i reread the above recommendation from Sleeper. I had a drive replaced by Maxtor so I had to download a good image. After replacing the drive and using a restored image to a clean drive, everything has worked perfectly for about 2 weeks. Its even upgraded to 3.1 c via its daily calls.

What can I expect to happen if I proceed with the surgery and hacks phases on this drive? Should I just avoid doing it?