Page 12 of 129 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262112 ... LastLast

Thread: (DEPRECATED) SLEEPER ISO - Series 2 Scripts for U5, Monte and Prom with many hacks

Re: Re: Just a quick suggestion

Originally posted by Sleeper
    I believe that the time it takes the U5 kernel to boot and check the MINIMAL file system and then boot the other kernel which performs no file system check is LESS than the time that it takes the stock image to boot.
    True, BUT you can save a small amount of boot time (on the order of a few seconds) by using the minimal root filesystem without monte. Obviously you need to pivot or chroot to start tivoapp.

You should not make this an option because it would unnecessarily bloat the code. If the users want it they can figure it out themselves. If they are too stupid to do that they do not belong here.
    Last edited by David Bought; 11-18-2003 at 12:55 PM.

Originally posted by captain_video
    The BASH_ENV hack is completely different from the monte hack and is covered in cobelli's guide and Ingineer's original hack. It's also the preferred method of hacking a series 2 Tivo.
    Did you intentionally say that the BASH_ENV hack (no monte) is the preferred method for hacking a series 2 tivo?

If so, you must have forgotten about the Standalone S2 tivos or any HDVR2 running 3.1.1b or up.

NutKase
    Last edited by mrblack51; 11-18-2003 at 05:28 PM.
    "God, and DealDataBase, help those that help themselves." --Shamelessly stolen from psxboy
    ------------------------------------------------
    2 each, SA S2 287hr 7.2.1a's with Lifetime.
    Hacks: 1 Manually Monte'd -140, Bash,Telnet,FTP,TivoWebPlus,
    Superpatch-67all Unscrambled/HMO,MFS_FTP Ver. N,TyTools, tivoserver
    Fully hacked SA S1

Maybe we're splitting hairs here. It's true that when you do a monte hack, you need to first use the BASH_ENV hack, so in a manner or speaking, every (non-prom) hacked S2 is using the BASH_ENV hack. If we choose to then use the hacked system to chain load another kernal via monte, then that's another layer altogether.
    SA Series2 325 hr
    Hacked! - Monte, TivoWeb, mfs_ftp

Did you intentionally say that the BASH_ENV hack (no monte) is the preferred method for hacking a series 2 tivo?
    My bad. No, it most definitely was not intentional. I tripped over my own keyboard on that one. Thanks for pointing out a major faux pas.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

Originally posted by captain_video
    My bad. No, it most definitely was not intentional. I tripped over my own keyboard on that one. Thanks for pointing out a major faux pas.
    Cool, you scared me there.

Gotta go to work.

NutKase
    "God, and DealDataBase, help those that help themselves." --Shamelessly stolen from psxboy
    ------------------------------------------------
    2 each, SA S2 287hr 7.2.1a's with Lifetime.
    Hacks: 1 Manually Monte'd -140, Bash,Telnet,FTP,TivoWebPlus,
    Superpatch-67all Unscrambled/HMO,MFS_FTP Ver. N,TyTools, tivoserver
    Fully hacked SA S1

Originally posted by Mighty LoPan
    Maybe we're splitting hairs here. It's true that when you do a monte hack, you need to first use the BASH_ENV hack, so in a manner or speaking, every (non-prom) hacked S2 is using the BASH_ENV hack. If we choose to then use the hacked system to chain load another kernal via monte, then that's another layer altogether.
    Yes, that is exactly how it should be explained.

It is not splitting hairs to insist on an accurate description of how the process works. When it is oversimplified (as often happens in the well-known "guides") it makes it much more difficult for users to understand and troubleshoot their setup, so they come here and ask stupid questions.

After a weekend of failed attempts to upgrade my DSR7000...I had given up hope. It's only Tuesday and I'm presented with the wonder that is the Sleeper ISO. I have high hopes that per chance I might actually get things going this time around.

Thank you! I'll report back my results for other DSR7000 owners.

I have the backup posted here w/ High Bandwidth.

s86955326.onlinehome.us

l: u35281432ddbtivo
    p: ddbtivo

This file is there now:

tivoscripts1_01.zip

It should be active in an hour or so.

Sleeper: You box is full. Feel free to add this, or If you don't want me to Host it as a backup, let me know and I'll take it down.

What is the password? Can't pass this stage

1.) What model is your unit?
    DSR7000
    2.) How big is the original hard drive?
    3.) Is or has your original hard drive been hacked before.
    No
    4.) Have you ever performed a mfsrestore to your original hard drive?
    No
    5.) What version of software is running on your original hard drive?
    6. ) Has your box been subbed, receiving DVR service and DTV if it's a DTivo?
    Currently yes
    7.) What size is the drive that your are restoring to?
    120gb
    8.) Were there any error messages when running the scripts and exactly what did they say. If you are not sure then perform the entire operation again before posting.
    No
    9.) Include the text captured from your terminal (hyperterminal) where the error occurred in your post.
    Boot failed reason=60
    Ram size = 64
    Service number is 1010000C0223B7C.
    What is password?
    10.) Did you spill coffee on your Tivo while you had it open? Just kidding?
    no, too busy to worry about screw this thing up, my wife would kill me if I did.
    11.) Did you test the drive in your tivo after the RESTORE phase and before the SURGERY phase? Did it work?
    Yes, it boot w/out any problem.
    12.) Did you test the drive in your tivo after the SURGERY phase and before the FINAL (HACKS) phase? Did it work?
    Yes, this is where the error occur when I plugged my serial into my labtop.

I've also try this with the hacks install, still get the same error. I've tried 4 times before this post, all 4 give me the same error. Any advice and suggestions would be really appreciate. Thanks.

This one is really puzzling me-- I used the script, and my HDVR2 is running flawlessly with all the hacks. I can't get the reboot command to work from bash, though. 'Reboot' is in my /busybox folder, and /busybox is in my PATH, but typing 'reboot' at a BASH prompt does nothing. Any suggestions?

Same thing with mine. Reboot does not work but "restart" does. Give it a try.

Re: What is the password? Can't pass this stage

Originally posted by sangleweb
    9.) Include the text captured from your terminal (hyperterminal) where the error occurred in your post.
    Boot failed reason=60
    Ram size = 64
    Service number is 1010000C0223B7C.
    What is password?
    I have never seen this before myself. Virgin_Dss just had the same problem. You may want to check with him to see if he figured it out.

http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...%2A#post129089

Also, the serial output upon boot should reveal which kernel, the U5 or the initrd relpaced one is failing. Look for when monte is loading.

Originally posted by DPlatt
    This one is really puzzling me-- I used the script, and my HDVR2 is running flawlessly with all the hacks. I can't get the reboot command to work from bash, though. 'Reboot' is in my /busybox folder, and /busybox is in my PATH, but typing 'reboot' at a BASH prompt does nothing. Any suggestions?
    strace it. If it opens /dev/initctl it is trying to reboot by changing to runlevel 6. Runlevel 6 does not exist on the Tivo so that will not reboot the system.

If that is the case you need to delete/rename it and use the Tivo's original reboot command, which does not use init.

Re: Re: What is the password? Can't pass this stage

Originally posted by Sleeper
    I have never seen this before myself. Virgin_Dss just had the same problem. You may want to check with him to see if he figured it out.
    I stand corrected. Ice5 had this problem and it turned out that it was a bad hard drive. I'm guessing that the U5 kernel does not boot at all. The captured serial output would verify this.

After surgery, the bootpage has been flipped. So the partition with the U5 kernel is probably damaged. This would explain why it boots after the restore and not after surgery.

Try running drive test utilities. Ice5 use Maxtor's MaxBlast and it detected the error.

HDVR2 upgrade to 4.x

Originally posted by thermal
    Whoooohooo!!!

I am running a SA2 4.01 and all is working now (bash,telnet,ftp,tytools,etc)! Just a few things that didn't quite work right with the 1.01 ISO "out-of-the-box"

All is good!
    Question:

Did you have 4.x originally on your tivo before you did the ISO ?

Just curious.. 2 nights ago my HD crashed in my tivo, and the original I had a CD backup of the image, but not the original drive. So I went out and bought a new 120GB drive to put into the machine (cant be without tivo while awaiting the replacement warranty 120GB). Anyway, Did you apply the 4.x software from tivostuff.com?

I have the original 3.x version that shipped with my tivo back in august when DirectTV came out to install it.

I have the netgear FA120 usb network adapter on it. Just wanted to know. I downloaded the 4.0 image last night from tivostuff, and would be ready to mfsrestore it to the drive.

Would I have to restore the 4.x image, go through the setup to tell it about my zipcode etc, and then do the ISO application?

I have hacked SA1 tivos with turbonets, and tivoweb, and all the toys, applying this ISO would be a great benefit and quick way to get all the toys.

And for the record: I do understand how to troubleshoot something if it goes wrong, and have spent many of hours doing so with some of the other instruction sets out there (manual method). I have learned, sweated, and cussed.

The 4.x software shows folders, etc, and all that jazz.

Thanks!