Page 3 of 129 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: (DEPRECATED) SLEEPER ISO - Series 2 Scripts for U5, Monte and Prom with many hacks

115,200 fixed the bash. Lots of text ebfore rebooting. I take it there is much more here that a simple #bash prompt.

I need to test which hacks are causing my HDVR2 to reboot after "just a few more seconds" screen. My bash prompt is outputting garbage so I need to put the drive back in my PC.

What mount do I need to do to be able to get access to the rc.sysinit.author file from a PC when I boot using the MFS Tools 2.0 CD? Specifically I want to edit out the network drivers to see if they are the source of my problem. I have tried to look this up but most posts are showing the access from bash prompt which I can't do since I am rebooting constantly.

Re: Additional Hacks

Originally posted by mikand
    How do you install additional hacks after using this ISO?
    I'm sorry, but that is not a topic for this thread. Please read the other thread's to find out information about specific hacks. You could also post a more specific question like this to the newbie forum.

Bear in mind that certain types of hacks are forbidden to talk about on this site and doing so could jepordize the hard work that is published here. According to forum rules, this includes PM.

Originally posted by relay

What mount do I need to do to be able to get access to the rc.sysinit.author file from a PC when I boot using the MFS Tools 2.0 CD? Specifically I want to edit out the network drivers to see if they are the source of my problem. I have tried to look this up but most posts are showing the access from bash prompt which I can't do since I am rebooting constantly.
    My DSR7000 went into a reboot loop with a kernal panic. Removing the ax8817x driver fixed it.

The rc.sysinit.author was on partition 4 for me, but it is not always the same on different drives. The script detects the root and boot partitions and tells you. Look in the Variables file on your fat32 drive.

Update: I just tried v1.01, it fixes the reboot loop with the ax8817x drivers. Just skip to the hacks phase, takes less than 5 min.
    Last edited by tommy78; 11-06-2003 at 08:12 PM.

tommy,

version 1.01 should fix this problem. Please give it a try.

Hey Sleeper,

Just wanted to say thanks and nice work!!!
    Worked perfectly the first time. I am now watching my monte'd HDVR2. Your utility was very easy to use and took only a few minutes. I really liked the way everything was explained as I went thru it step by step. Makes it alot easier to understand the commands and one of the best things is that I can't make any typing errors to mess myself up ) Like I did when I did the monte on another one of my boxes Oh well..I guess thats how we learn......

I would also like to thank MrBlack51...Alldeadhomiez...Musclenerd...and all the others who without thier help Sleeper couldn't have made this great utility.

Originally posted by billisnow
    I would also like to thank MrBlack51...Alldeadhomiez...Musclenerd...and all the others who without thier help Sleeper couldn't have made this great utility.
    I'll second that. I meant to thank them too but I've been too busy. And thanks to JJ Bliss for his help, and the many others who are unmentioned that actually devised and explained all the hacks.

Also, many thanks to tommy78, wease and mryuk for hanging in there and helping me figure out why the scripts were not working for them.

I know this is starting to sound like a broken record but thanks to all you guys that posted such kind works. Knowing that it is appreciated makes it all worth while.

Sleeper

Downloaded the 1.0 ISO and attempted to monte the tivo tonight and had some problems. I got a few errors during the restore process:
    mfs_read_inode: Inode xxxxx corrupt, trying backup
    mfs_read_inode: Inode xxxxxx backup corrupt, giving up

However, it completed saying it was successful, so I completed the rest of the process with no errors.

When I booted up the tivo I get a kernel panic and it restarts:
    starting rc.sysinit
    Releasing /initrd and clearing ramdisk, if they exist
    warning: can't open /var/mtab: No such file or directory
    Activating swap partitions
    Adding Swap: 130044k swap-space (priority -1)
    Loading i2c driver
    Loading core system drivers
    Loading ircatch ...
    IRMC registry var is 1 (AVR present).
    Loading irblast ...
    IRMC registry var is 1 (AVR present). irblast not loading.
    /lib/modules/irblast.o: init_module: Device or resource busy
    Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including invs
    Checking for Kickstart panic signal
    /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit: /tvbin/checkpanic-asic: cannot execute binary file
    Found rev '' P2109-V90 modem on /dev/cua1
    Kickstart entered with code 126
    Unknown panic code - no action
    Restarting system.

1.) What model is your unit?
    TCD140060 - SA

2.) How big is the original hard drive?
    60GB

3.) Is or has your original hard drive been hacked before.
    No

4.) Have you ever performed a mfsrestore to your original hard drive?
    No

5.) What version of software is running on your original hard drive?

6. ) Has your box been subbed, receiving DVR service and DTV if it's a DTivo?
    Not DTivo

7.) What size is the drive that your are restoring to?
    Seagate 80gb

8.) Were there any error messages when running the scripts and exactly what did they say. If you are not sure then perform the entire operation again before posting.
    During clean-up phase of restore
    mfs_read_inode: Inode xxxxx corrupt, trying backup
    mfs_read_inode: Inode xxxxxx backup corrupt, giving up

9.) Include the text captured from your terminal (hyperterminal) where the error occurred in your post.
    Checking for Kickstart panic signal
    /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit: /tvbin/checkpanic-asic: cannot execute binary file
    Found rev '' P2109-V90 modem on /dev/cua1
    Kickstart entered with code 126
    Unknown panic code - no action
    Restarting system.

See above also

10.) Did you spill coffee on your Tivo while you had it open? Just kidding?

11.) Did you test the drive in your tivo after the RESTORE phase and before the SURGERY phase? Did it work?
    Did not test after restore phase - probably should have

12.) Did you test the drive in your tivo after the SURGERY phase and before the FINAL (HACKS) phase? Did it work?
    Ran through the whole process before testing

Thoughts?

IT'S WORKING !!!!

After all the effort Sleeper put into the lasted version i'm happy to announce that every thing works.I was one of the lucky few that worked with Sleeper trying his method's and finnally we are working.This is with the original drive which was a problem before but no longer.Everyone with interest in Tivo should thank Sleeper as he has made it easy for all us non linux people understand how it works.
    Thanks again Sleeper

Thoughts?

Thanks for providing all the necessary info and being honest about it.

11.) Did you test the drive in your tivo after the RESTORE phase and before the SURGERY phase? Did it work?
    Did not test after restore phase - probably should have

12.) Did you test the drive in your tivo after the SURGERY phase and before the FINAL (HACKS) phase? Did it work?
    Ran through the whole process before testing

It looks like a bad mfsbackup. Thankfully, you have the original drive and were not trying this on the original drive.

Start over again, you need a clean backup.

Test the drive in the TIvo after each of the 3 phases, RESTORE, SURGERY and FINAL.

Also, please be aware of the network problems in release 1.0. Do not use ax8817x driver. Also problem with SA units. Both problems are fixed in version 1.01 and are being tested now.

Re: IT'S WORKING !!!!

Originally posted by wease
    After all the effort Sleeper put into the lasted version i'm happy to announce that every thing works.I was one of the lucky few that worked with Sleeper trying his method's and finnally we are working.This is with the original drive which was a problem before but no longer.Everyone with interest in Tivo should thank Sleeper as he has made it easy for all us non linux people understand how it works.
    Thanks again Sleeper
    Your Welcome!

Not only did you monte your original drive, but the unit is running 3.10 software and was not yet subscribed.

I also have had success duplicating the original drive and testing the scripts on an unsubbed (out of the box) unit.

Of course, updating to the latest software and subbing the box are still recommended and using another drive is HIGHLY recommended.

I mention this becasue others have asked me if the scripts would work on a unit right out of the box.

Re: Series 2 Scripts for U5, Monte and Prom with many hacks ISO

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Sleeper
    [B]

Is the beta site for 1.01 for public use?? IF not when do you expect to release it. I will need the updated fix for the ethernet config.

Thanks again sleeper for all your hard work.

David

Edited to remove link to script. Script can be located in the first post of this thread.

Sorry for the prolem sleeper just got excited there for a minute.

david
    Last edited by honormeall; 11-07-2003 at 12:56 AM.

I am happy to confirm that the ax8817x seems to be fixed in the 1.01 release. This is on a HDVR2/3.1.0 system.

Like most other folks, the scripts worked perfectly for me. The only snafu I ran into was that during the "surgery" phase, I had some read errors. Ends up that I had a bad burn from the iso to a cd - reburning at a slower speed cleared up the problem.

Thanks to sleeper for a great utilty!

Re: Re: Series 2 Scripts for U5, Monte and Prom with many hacks ISO

Is the beta site for 1.01 for public use?? IF not when do you expect to release it. I will need the updated fix for the ethernet config.

No it is not for public use.

Everybody please stop PM'ing me. I can't get anything done if I have to keep emptying my inbox.

Also, please stop PM'ing the beta testers that know the site. If this keeps up I will take the site down. It's for people testing.

If you are interested in a new feature, post your interest in the thread. The thread is permanent storage. My PM inbox is not. If you have reported a NEW bug to the thread or have posted interest in a new feature, then I will PM you about testing the next beta release.

I'm sorry that I have to take this posture but this has gotten out of control!

Check the first post in the thread. It will probably be up tonight or early tommorow.

Thanks again sleeper for all your hard work.

YOUR WELCOME!

David,

Please edit you previous post and remove the link. It will not update whem I update the latest release and could cause some problems. Thanks
    Last edited by Sleeper; 11-06-2003 at 06:22 PM.

WOW, WOW, WOW

Let me tell you all about SLEEPER, This guy is the BEST. He has put together a Stupid Proof ( ME ) way to upgrade your Series 2 TiVo. I spent 3 days trying to do this by my self, and In 20 Min. with SLEEPER's ISO BAM!!!! I was up and running.

Thank you so mush for the countless hours you have spent making life easy for the rooks out there that need step by step guidence.

Thanks Again.

Welcome. Powering up...

I can't get past the "Welcome. Powering up..." screen. I have 2 brand new Series 2's. An HDVR2 and a DSR7000.

1.) What model is your unit?
    HDVR2

2.) How big is the original hard drive?
    40GB

3.) Is or has your original hard drive been hacked before.
    No

4.) Have you ever performed a mfsrestore to your original hard
    drive?
    No

5.) What version of software is running on your original hard drive?
    3.1 pending restart

6. ) Has your box been subbed, receiving DVR service and DTV if it's a DTivo?
    DTV Sub. Tivo, not yet

7.) What size is the drive that your are restoring to?
    120GB Seagate

8.) Were there any error messages when running the scripts and exactly what did they say. If you are not sure then perform the entire operation again before posting.
    None

9.) Include the text captured from your terminal (hyperterminal) where the error occurred in your post.
    n/a

10.) Did you spill coffee on your Tivo while you had it open? Just kidding?
    Nope

Yes, and it did work. I can't get past the surgery phase.

Can't get that far.

I tried 2 different computers, 2 different 120GB drives, and even a brand new "virgin DSR7000".

I forced a call on the HDVR2 and backed it up "pending restart". I have tried at least 10-15 times to get this to work. Any help would really be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Meathead
    When you're green, you grow!
    When you're ripe, you rot!

DSR6000 148Hours ver 2.52
    GXCEBOT 170 Hours ver 2.52 -MIA Sent in for repairs
    HDVR2 105 Hours ver 3.1b
    All Networked

Added a DSR7000